Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all .. How much trouble can I get into by trying to adjust the throttle play on my twin-carb 377? I thought I had the fix by spinning the outer jacket of the main cable, but that only works until the first time you flatten the throttle .. then it just pulls back again! There's no adjustment on the lever :( so the only place I can figure is on the carbs.

Have to tell you that I'm terrified of touching the carbs, so if anyone has an easy how-to I'd love to read it!!!

Tanks guys!

T

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I adjust mine by taking the airbox off and seeing what the slides are doing. If they move together, open together, and set on the idle screw together when shut and there's a little free play it's all good.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Like Sno-x said, make sure they move evenly. If you make any adjustments, it's always a good idea to syncronize them for equal air flow when your done. I had my carbs sync'd on my 440 and it made a big difference even if it looks ok. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
there is play in your throttle pull? ARe you sure the throttle doesn't just sort of have a thing where it moves a slight bit before opening. My XCR and my Dad's Viper do. If there is any play in your throttle your throttle cable should disconnect from the thumb. That is what happens when mine has play in it. Happens when one of my carb slides disconnects from the throttle cable. Don't worry about that though you would know fi that happened.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A lot of machines have a little play in the throttle, but mine has like 3/8" of free play .. and when I press the throttle all the way to the bar I can still pull more cable if I hook my finger in it.

I'll have a look at taking the air box off .. or I might just take it to the dealer ...

thanks for your help guys!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Does that have twin carbs? Are you sure that is the correct cable to begin with?

-----------------------------
I think.... therefore I sled
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, it has twin 30mm Mikuni's. There is one cable from the throttle lever down to a connector. Out of the connector comes three cables: 1 to each carb, and 1 to the oil injection.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
hmm for you I may recommend taking it to the dealer. But ask if they will let you watch cause you may want to learn.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I know my older sled throttle mechanisms were not adjustable either. You can get universal cables for your sled but you may run right back into the same problem. Seems to me you have more cable than throw which I would think means the wrong cable. I don't think the carbs would have that much adjustment in the slide caps.

I think.... therefore I sled
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

1 - 9 of 9 Posts