Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, Im new to sleds. My fam just bought a cottage in northern MI and want to pick up 2 sleds. They would spend all their time either on a lake or groomed trails I would think, no mountain riding. Figure a $10g budget a piece...what would you get? NEW sleds.

Im liking the Yamaha Apex.

PS I cant stand being slower than anybody else, well at least faster than 90% of the crowd.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
well 10g's is a little much but w/e. have you ever sled before? any specific brands?

for speed: arctic cat f-7, 2000-2003 xcr 800, 98-2002 srx 700, 2000+ mach z, and the 98 tcat 1000 (fastest stock sled ever) all in the 118-125 mph range

speed and awesome suspension, apex rtx or er or gt, ski-doo renegade 800, or even the f1000. all very nice sleds.

trail ridability and ok speed, polaris classic 700 with m-10, ski-doo mxz 600ho-700.

you choose but you have to get on them all and test ride themm all and see how you like the feel and how they ride. they all ride and feel different.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a few times out west in yellowstone, first two years were on pretty gay sleds, sub 500cc, last year was a Polaris RMK 700 I think, to me that sled ripped pretty good, but since then I have built a CBR600RR powered quad so my scale of quickness has been raised a bit.

So the yamahas are pretty good then, I know theyre the newest to the game? I have only ever owned 4-strokes, and love them, but thats not to say I couldnt love a 2stroke.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
well i say you go and buy a 02-03 xcr 800 159.2 hp stock, clutch it, pipe it (htg), then do some head work and you have a 125 mph sled easy with 180-190 hp.

i just bought a 02 from my cousins and the things has yet to be riden but i get it back soon. i am getting the heads milled and then clutched and geared 1 tooth down on lower gear. i am sticking with stock pipes for now.

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
New to sledding and want to be faster than everybody or at least 90%.
That's a tall order.

On the lakes, no problem, just out HP everyone around you.
An Apex with a turbo added should fit the bill.
Accept for price tag. Apex alone is 10K and turbo is another 5K.

Everywhere else, you might want to get used to riding before trying to race every one.
For a fast trail machine in the 10K range,
You could pretty much take your pick.
You won't go wrong with pretty much any brand.
The F series Cats do work well, MXZ's from Doo.
Polaris only has a 700 in the Dragon and that number is probably not big enough for you, although they are very fast.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
New to sleddin' and you want the fastest?

Be careful of that. Alot of people go big right away and end up scaring themselves out of it. I've seen and heard it many times before.

I'm just throwing out a warning, not trying to diss you or anything.

Get out there and test drive some, see what feels good to you. There is a lot more to a sled then speed. You can have a drag racer but your probably never going to ride it because riding it is going to suck.

I have no suggestions as many of my choices have been mentioned already.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Originally posted by jonaddis84
[br]I have a few times out west in yellowstone, first two years were on pretty gay sleds, sub 500cc, last year was a Polaris RMK 700 I think, to me that sled ripped pretty good, but since then I have built a CBR600RR powered quad so my scale of quickness has been raised a bit.

So the yamahas are pretty good then, I know theyre the newest to the game? I have only ever owned 4-strokes, and love them, but thats not to say I couldnt love a 2stroke.
well first yes yamahas are ok i prefer them over all but i like all sleds. then you say you have oly owned 4 strokes? well a rmk 700 and sub 500s i dont think these were 4 stroke, but what ever. and 2 strokes are the best bet unless you have to own a 4 strtoke because you or your wife is a tree huger, not that there is nothing wrong with that.

i say learn to drive a smaller sled like a 600, then move to a srx 700 or a xcr 800 or if you really want speed a 98 t-cat 1000 and clutch and gear and pipe either one. dont pipe the srx unless you are putting power inc. pipes on it but they are hard to find. have fun doing what ever you do.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I shouldnt say "new to sledding" like i said in the later post Ive ridden sleds before, and Im not new to powersports at all. And Im definitely not new to speed (500+hp Z28, 110hp quad, 165hp jetski, etc..) so theres no chance of getting scared of the sled. Plus you can never have "too fast" of something, because you can always ride it slow if you want, but when you need it its at least there.

From my experience, it seems like 4strokes are usually better to start off with, but once you start modifying you cant beat 2strokes for the $. To get more power out of an already stressed 4stroke you usually have to go poweradder or crazy heads/cams. 2strokes it doesnt take much to get A LOT more hp. Problem with that though is these would be bought NEW, and they wont be "MINE" so modification is out of the question, at least not for awhile.

I really would like to get out and ride some, but how would I go about doing that, I doubt dealerships are letting people take sleds out to test drive are they?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by 98srx700
[br]
[br]I have a few times out west in yellowstone, first two years were on pretty gay sleds, sub 500cc, last year was a Polaris RMK 700 I think, to me that sled ripped pretty good, but since then I have built a CBR600RR powered quad so my scale of quickness has been raised a bit.

Oh I didnt own those...those were rentals.

Let me add to the original description... Im looking for NEW sleds.
well first yes yamahas are ok i prefer them over all but i like all sleds. then you say you have oly owned 4 strokes? well a rmk 700 and sub 500s i dont think these were 4 stroke, but what ever. and 2 strokes are the best bet unless you have to own a 4 strtoke because you or your wife is a tree huger, not that there is nothing wrong with that.

i say learn to drive a smaller sled like a 600, then move to a srx 700 or a xcr 800 or if you really want speed a 98 t-cat 1000 and clutch and gear and pipe either one. dont pipe the srx unless you are putting power inc. pipes on it but they are hard to find. have fun doing what ever you do.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
[br]

I really would like to get out and ride some, but how would I go about doing that, I doubt dealerships are letting people take sleds out to test drive are they?
I believe they usually let you go for a spin if you are interested. I'm sure it varies from dealer to dealer though.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ill have to check that out, that would definitely help my decision process if I could ride some sleds.

Are the larger 2strokes a lot lighter than say yamahas big 4strokes? Say a 800 skidoo vs an Apex? Seems to me they would be quite a bit lighter thus making handling better.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I would say the new 1000cc Mach Z rev . It is a twin 2stroke. Fast with lots of suspension travel. Or a Arctic Cat T660 which is a tripple 4 stroke turbo.
http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=63148
[attachment=58214]
All u really should get to satisfy that need 4 speed is a 600 HO polaris or ski doo top speed before mods acording to Snow week mag. for 2006 Fusion was 105mph and was the fastest sled in last years run for stock and slightly moded sleds. It was 1st in both.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Yamaha has been producing sleds since like 1973.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Some dealerships let you drive them if they have an area for that. But most do not. Test riding at the dealerships used to be alot more common then it is now. Most 07's in a 800 cc class or above are gonna be alot more than 10 grand for a pair of them. If you didn't have your heart set on the latest and greatest, I can sell you non currents alot less than 07 models. For my money the Crossfires are great. Great trail riding plus quick plus deep snow. It's a hybrid sled. I can sell you a pair of those under 12 grand.
[br]I shouldnt say "new to sledding" like i said in the later post Ive ridden sleds before, and Im not new to powersports at all. And Im definitely not new to speed (500+hp Z28, 110hp quad, 165hp jetski, etc..) so theres no chance of getting scared of the sled. Plus you can never have "too fast" of something, because you can always ride it slow if you want, but when you need it its at least there.

From my experience, it seems like 4strokes are usually better to start off with, but once you start modifying you cant beat 2strokes for the $. To get more power out of an already stressed 4stroke you usually have to go poweradder or crazy heads/cams. 2strokes it doesnt take much to get A LOT more hp. Problem with that though is these would be bought NEW, and they wont be "MINE" so modification is out of the question, at least not for awhile.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
-I guess I didnt realize Yamaha had been in the game that long, for some reason I thought they just got into snowmobiles.
-The price range was per sled, so $20k total.

This is going to be a very difficult decision, thanks for all your help guys, keep the input coming if you wish. This is nothing like buying any other ORV, quads you pretty much have 3 choices once you decide on a class, jetskis you have about the same choices, theres just soooo many different models of snowmobile its sorta ridiculous, but it keeps from too many people having the same exact sleds I guess.

·
Registered
593 Posts
for speed i would definatly take the 98 t-cat 1000. the whole thing is stock except for looks. My dad has one of them and he let me ride it once on the lake it went so fast i dont wanna touch it again cuz i know ill kill myself on one of those things. I go fast all the time cuz i drag and radar but this is a whole new level of fast. I was goin 121 on the digital speedo and on the regular it was like 118 and still climbin then i backed off.
for comfort i like the polaris fusions or the ski doo rev and mxz (I dont comp;iment on ski doo's that much but they are comfy)

hope this helps your need for speed....

·
Registered
821 Posts
I couldn't imagine a rider who'se only been on a sled a few times jump on an apex. I just purchased an apex and have ridden sleds religiously all my life. Jumping on the apex is a step above everything else. The horsepower is scary - even for a veteran snowmobiler. One small slip of the throttle and you will wrap it around a tree. The apex will get to 100 mph on hardpack snow probably between 5 and 6 seconds.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by _FURF_
[br]I couldn't imagine a rider who'se only been on a sled a few times jump on an apex. I just purchased an apex and have ridden sleds religiously all my life. Jumping on the apex is a step above everything else. The horsepower is scary - even for a veteran snowmobiler. One small slip of the throttle and you will wrap it around a tree. The apex will get to 100 mph on hardpack snow probably between 5 and 6 seconds.
Thats pretty quick, how do you like the handling on the Apex?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Oh! That's a horse of a different color. I can sell you '07 F1000's about $10,500 Ea. Yamahas run a little higher. The F1000 screams out of the hole. 162 HP stock. The older Thundercats would catch it on a longer distance. But I have a feeling you want brand new, not a '98 T'cat
[br]-I guess I didnt realize Yamaha had been in the game that long, for some reason I thought they just got into snowmobiles.
-The price range was per sled, so $20k total.

This is going to be a very difficult decision, thanks for all your help guys, keep the input coming if you wish. This is nothing like buying any other ORV, quads you pretty much have 3 choices once you decide on a class, jetskis you have about the same choices, theres just soooo many different models of snowmobile its sorta ridiculous, but it keeps from too many people having the same exact sleds I guess.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Same chassis and look as an F series in a 4-stroke would be the brand new '07 Jaguar Z1. 1100 cc 4-stroke. Simalar performance to the big 2-stroke twins.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts