Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thaugh i had taken care of my problem by raising the sleds front end ,removing the atifreeze cap off and let the machine run for 10 mins ,, i did SEE some bubbles come out of there and after a little while , it pretty much stoped.
But last night i took her out for a spin again and says after a good 45 miles i was just about home and then it happend the temp gauge was going up and close to the red ,,,,,at least i was home and could just stop the sled ,,,,,but man i don't know what could cause this ,,,,,,,maybe a bad water pump ,,,,,but if that'd be the case wouldn't she over heat almost right away, and not 1 or 2 hours into the drive.
Could it still be air bubbles??
I don't think it's a cracked head or gasket , cause she doesn't seem, to loose enough prestone for that??? Any ideas guys?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Does your coolant tank stay pretty full?
I had this problem first ride out and I ended up filling it with the motor running. Tank would look full with sled shut off but when I started it, it would all go into the motor. I took out the thermostat but even that did solve the problem.

Try filling it with the motor running. Solved the problem for me.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tank does seem to loose a LITTLE bit of prestone,,but i'll look tonight cause i filled it yesterday again.
yeah ,, i looked at it while it was running because that's the only way i could see the bubbles coming out , and once in a while i'd squeeze the main HOSE to bring out the bubbles and as it would overflow , i'd fill it back up to the top ,,,,,,REALL weird man ,, never ever seen this before ,,,,,,what get's me is that i can run 1 to 3 hours without ANY problems ,,,,,,,,then BANG all of a sudden just goes up near the red. and i don't want to take a chance and say " ah well my guauge must be stuck or screwed up" then my engine seizes on me,,,,,,,, REALLY got a good brain fart this time

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just my idea but I think I would take it into the dealers and have them perge the system. They have the tools and know how to do it. Might save you a lot of headlakes...[:D]

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i installed the engine myself after christmas and have driven my sled MANY hours since then ,, maybe over 1400miles ,, and i've NEVER had that problem until just recently ,, so i think i did a good job flushing it out when i instaled the new 1000cc engine. Just don't understand why ALL of a sudden she starts overheating and just happens ONCE in a while ,, but doesn't stay in the red for to long , if i let her cool down , then she's good for another couple hours no problem ,, then bam all of a sudden jumps in the red again,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
172 Posts
Acadian, are you running in enough snow to keep some snow on those heat exchangers?
Sounds like it's doing what it's supposed to... any liquid cooled machine will start to get hot if you're hammering across hard pack with no loose snow available to get thrown up onto them.
If you're sure you've got enough snow, I'd raise that front end up a couple of feet & try to purge the system again. I had a helluva time purging my Indy 500 once, on the 3rd attempt it finally burped & hasn't had a cooling problem since. I didn't have the pressure cap off it though, I just lifted the lever to the upright position and let it idle... someone told me that was the correct way to burp the system.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ACtually that's a good call , i hvan't checked that out ,, about having enough snow on the exchangers.
on those model cats ,, 97tcat ,,where would they be located??
It seems to make sense cause when it heated again the last time , it's only when i crossed the road to get to my place , i maybe did 200 feet on pave ,, and that's when she overheated ,, i got her back on the snow and let her sit for a couple minutes but she still stood around the red area ,,,,,,but that is a REAL good point, cause i never thaugh of that.
So it can be pretty tough to get ALLLLL the bubbles out of the cooling system,,, but i'll try it again tonight ,
Can it also be ice that has built up on the bottom of the radiator???

·
Registered
172 Posts
I doubt you're going to have any ice buildup on your heat exchangers, especially if you're overheating.
Your exchangers on Cats are up underneath the tunnel, I think you have one in the rear and one in the front... look under there and you'll see them.
It takes more than just 200 feet without snow to start getting hot though.. when mine starts getting hot, a quick dip off the trail into loose snow drops the temp down real fast.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah i did that to one time when she started heating up ,, i'd just drop her into powder snow and i could just see the gauge going down ,,,,,,,,but could simply ridding on trails cause it to overheat?
And why would that happen to my sled only ,, i was out with 2 other sleds and we were all driving about the same (real hard) and i was the only one who's temperature got up near the red ,, (and it happend to me twice in a 12 hour drive) and never happened once to any of the other guys.
buddies drive a 99 ZRT 800 and other was a 99 MachZ championship series.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I know what you mean, I've seen a great deal of difference between different flavors of sleds as far as cooling. Different placement of heat exchangers, what kind of track, snow conditions, etc., all factor in to how a sled cools.
I've made a habit of diving off to lube up my slides & get some snow whenever we're bombing down a trail (especially now that I have a paddle), and very rarely do I ever get into an overheating situation.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WEll nightTrain ,, i appreciate it ,, thanks for the tips ,, i'll know more again tonight cause i'm supposed to go out for a good 60 mile run when i get home.
If she stars overheating again , i'll try dipping her into some fresh snow to see what happens,, and i'll let you know tomorow.
Hopefully that or only bubbles of air are my problem right now , hehe
But thanks again ,, and i'll let you know

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Acadian,

Earlier this year I was overheating and losing fluid out of the top of the overflow bottle and it turned out I had a bad pressure cap. Cheap fix to one of my many problems.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the tips guys but i think it was just a lack of snow getting onto my heat exchangers ,, cause i took her out for a ride for the past 2 days and gaveit a good test , got her stuck a couple times in deep snow ,, pushed her pretty hard ,, and only one time the heat gauge started going up ,, so i got into the powdered snow and wammo the heat gauge was back down and it never went up again ,,
thanks for the tips guys

1 - 14 of 14 Posts