Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got some miles on my 97xc440 but I noticed a few things

1. There is a vibration when the throttle is held somewhat steady when cruising (it comes and goes with engine rpm and not ground speed) but when I accelerate the motor then starts to scream @ about 7g and the buzzing/vibration goes away. It actually vibrates the sled quite a bit. Primary clutch is tight and not worn, no freeplay in secondary or jackshaft.

2. The suspension beats me to death over the rough stuff. It seems like it kicking more than absorbing. I have the rear shock spring and coil springs set loose...and the front seems to bounce instead of absorb too.

3. What's max rpm? Had to put in a ZL440 primary spring after mine broke. from idle to WFO rpm goes to 8g then stops. I think that is about where its suppose to be...

4. b4 we left i was messing with the carbs, when you crack the throttle is there suppose to be a mist of fuel being spit back into the airbox?

·
Registered
608 Posts
The faint vibration is most likely just resonance. It's a vibration caused by a certain frequency. Any higher or lower and it goes away. As far as your suspension: I think you need to rebuild your shocks.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
If you have everything set loose, it will bounce you all over, because it's able to flop around. Tighten it up a bit.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
actually the vibration is loud and I can feel it through my boot quite well

Pman, how did you have your xcr susp. set up? did you do alot of jumping and have it set 4 that?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
For your suspension, it sounds like your shocks need to be rebuilt. They aren't providing the dampening effect, so the springs are launching you up after you hit a bump.......hence no dampening from the shocks.

Not sure on the vibration issue......could be anything. Can you sence where its coming from......front, rear of sled?

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was kinda thinking the shocks needed attention, when I had the rear suspension apart and I compressed them there was resistance, but I didn't have to push that hard, plus they took ~4 seconds to rebound (thats when they were warm)

The noise is definetly on the left side front...

How can I check the secondary and make sure everything there is fine?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Well, you need to take it off the jackshaft, then put it down with the back side facing up and compress it, so you can take the snap ring off. Be carefull because there is some spring tension here. Then slowly let up on the rear sheave and slide it off. Now pull off the helix, and make sure to note which hole the spring is in so you can put it back together the same way. Also note which hole the other end of the spring is in. Check the ramps of the helix for wear, and check the buttons, for wear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts