Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Anyone here take the "guts" out of their airbox? My 2002 Summit has some baffles in the airbox that look like they would restrict the air flow.
I had the same problem with my KLX 300 dirt bike and an XR 200. Neither of them ran worth a crap until I took out the airbox baffle. Even the Kawasaki dealer recomended it. It was like night and day after taking out the baffle. They both ran rich, really rich before then afterward, they ran perfect.

My summit ran black plugs all winter until I rejetted from #520's down to #490's. I wonder if I took the guts out of the airbox and reinstalled the bigger jets, if I could gain some HP's.

D

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
maybe, maybe not. I know many sleds have tuned intake systems, and if you remove the airbox and stuff, you actually loose a little power, and the motor just gets louder from intake noise.

-Dean

·
Registered
777 Posts
well i figure on a stock sled,keep the box stock,but as soon as you add a pipe,b-bore,porting, a b.bottle for that matter,that tuned intake is out window,since all these things change that.slp recomends gutting the air box in some apillications with mods

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At our snowmobile area, they held drag races on the lake. Our lake is about 7000 feet. Not to far from the ski area in fact. They raced on about 2' of packed powder over the ice. The fasted sled there was an almost stock Artic Cat 900 1M 151". He stated that the only thing he did was to put on a muffler can, GUT the airbox, and rejet. Along with really rich looking plugs, this is what makes me think that my airbox is restricting airflow.

Any more input guys?

D

·
Registered
874 Posts
As was already mentioned, apparently some airboxes require the horns to be left in. On the other hand, I can confirm DNoel's story with the 900...it likes more air than stock configuration will provide. Not only did I gut the airbox, but I also cut the top out of the toolbox and put a vent in the speedo hole in order to get even more air into it.

If you gut the airbox (you may have to rejet - keep an eye on those plugs) and your revs increase, you just made more power. Now throw more weight at the primary to keep your redline in the range that your pipe likes it. If the revs don't increase, or worse, decrease, you've gone backwards. It takes fuel to make power, and the only way I know to put more fuel into an engine without running rich is to increase air flow.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Flange,
Thanks for the input. I picked up a spare airbox on e-bay. I pulled the snorkels out of it and will try it as soon as winter hits. The snorkels have a pretty small cross section, way smaller than the carbs.

D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts