Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today on my '97 XLT SKS, I went to check if I had air leaks on my sled. While sparying my carb boots and my PTO seal, on the seal and one of the carb boots, the RPM lowered a little, maybe 100 RPM. Now, doesn't if you have an air leak, the RPM increases? Just wondering. The sled runs great though, just a high idle problem after riding it.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
That is a good indicator of a bad crank seal.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
What did you spray around the seals? Normally the rpm increases markedly. I use electrical contact cleaner brand name Lectra-Clean.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by TheKuskokid
[br]What did you spray around the seals? Normally the rpm increases markedly. I use electrical contact cleaner brand name Lectra-Clean.
I sprayed some Carb-Cleaner on it. But like I said, I always though the RPM should increase if there's a leak. Hopefully tomorrow I can get my sled into the dealer. Any other help is appreciated from anyone[:)]

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Originally posted by SKSPolarisIndy
[br]
Originally posted by TheKuskokid
[br]What did you spray around the seals? Normally the rpm increases markedly. I use electrical contact cleaner brand name Lectra-Clean.
I sprayed some Carb-Cleaner on it. But like I said, I always though the RPM should increase if there's a leak. Hopefully tomorrow I can get my sled into the dealer. Any other help is appreciated from anyone[:)]

Mabye because it was sucking in air and as it started sucking the carb cleaner it plugged the gap? And I can tell all about how much fun changing crank seals is....

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I have a sled with a high idle problem that I cannot figure out for the life of me. Everybody says spray carb cleaner or ether, and pay attention for the RPM to increase. I don't get it. I have never had an increase in RPM. Just to test the theory, I sprayed a little ether directly into the carb, and the RPM decreased. I obviously need to try something different.

TheKuskokid, you say this Lectra-Clean stuff makes the RPM go up considerably? Maybe I will try to find some of that.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Originally posted by bulldog_shotgun
[br]good ol starting fluid works.
Read my post. I said it did not work for me. Even if I spray a little in the carb, the rpm decreases. But it is not enough that I would notice it on a small leak.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
have found many crankcase seal leaks or leaking base gaskets even the crankcase halves by using either

·
Registered
985 Posts
sorry about that i even read your post. its been a long night i've been up for about 29hrs straight.

i'm going to guess the reason it doesn't rev on ether is that your so rich on the idle circuit that the air is already completly saturated with fuel. when yhou spray ether in your loading it up. try it with just a little throttle. it should rev then.

they have always reved up on me. but when i was diagnosing a leaking intake gasket on a 3400 GM v6 once. i was using carb cleaner and it would damn near kill the engine when i sprayed it onto the leaking intake gasket.

if there is any noticable RPM change at all when spraying the seals. you can be sure there is something wrong.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Okay, thanks. I was just thinking about it, actually, and was thinking I should rev it up slightly, then spray around.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the help so far. I just brought it up to my local dealer about an hour ago so hopefully tomorrow they said they will call and let me know what's going on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts