Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a bitch of a time getting the airbox back into my 99 XC 500. I'm almost starting to think it's the wrong one. It won't slide down all the way over the shaft and sit level and I can't get the carb boots to line up. Should I just eliminate the stupid thing? If I do, I'm going to do the same thing on my 600; that's a pain in the ass to get on too but I eventually get it. This one, I can't. Are there any issues w/ eliminating them and where can I find a decently priced set of individual filters?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
It goes, Trust me. Yeah it's not the best fit. Keep the airbox, it's better than running air pods.

Here are tips:
With the airbox off, you can see a golden colored "L" tab right in front of the jackshaft. This is what it gets caught on. The bottom of the airbox needs to get forward of the upright portion of the tab so the rest of the airbox will "fall" down and sit in its proper place.

First, get the carbs inside of the rubber boots on the airbox, then work on getting the airbox into place.
So instead of trying to reinstall the airbox by forcing the top of the airbox, use one hand or a long screwdriver to pull/pry the bottom rear portion (right between the secondary and steering hoop) forward---towards the carbs. Then it will pop down no problem.

I've contemplated about ways to make it easier to install, perhaps bend the L tab so it's greater than a 90 degree angle, maybe even remove it alltogether. But now I got it figured out so it doesn't bother me as much. Definitely agree that it is a poor a** design.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I found that splitting the air box helped a lot. I had to file the tabs that lock the 2 halves together a little though.

·
Registered
741 Posts
just be patient, you will get it. I had a hard time also. When i bought the sled the carb and airbox were a few cm's apart, so i took the airbox out and flipped around those little rubber boots. I had to wrestle with it but after a while i got er in

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I always split the airbox. Usually easy to remove the airbox. When you go to put it back in take the little clips that hold the a/b halves together off(flathead screwdriver). Your airbox will now break apart. Remove the shelving and dividers but pay attn where they came from. Take the bottom of the box and you can now easily install it and even put your hands through the carb boot holes to align the carbs. Install all of the guts to the a/b and install the top and clips. If there are 1 or 2 clips difficult to install just leave them off.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
patience and a bit of lube work. for me. I loosen the carb clamps and get the carbs in the airbox, then slip into the carb boots.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts