Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just checking on AK riders and see if anyone wants to get together this winter. Its coming soon! I usually ride cantwell and eureka.
I have a cabin in the boulder creek area and ride the superbowl if we get good snow there. We ride and stay at the cabin and drink lots of beer and ride some more. Let me know.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I dont really make it up that way much except for in the early pre-season at Pville and the Willow side of Hatchers. I mainly ride down south at Turny and Lost Lake. I am hoping for a really good snow year in Hatchers so I dont have to drive so far to ride, in a good snow year Hatchers is my favorite place to ride. I used to ride Eureka alot but the past couple years I have only gone a handful of times. The low snow and cold temps have kept me away. Well anyway its good to see another Alaskan on the site, there is only few here and they are all good guys.

Here is a picture of my sled, wave me down if you see me out somewhere.
[attachment=52044]

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool, Maybe Ill see you out there. click on me to see my sled. (for some reason it wont let me upload my pic.) Blue polaris w/white flames and skull and crossbones. its in the general member pics too.
Later.....

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Hey, whats up. Do you mean boulder creek by mile 90 or so on the glenn? I was just up there in july on a ATV trip. I also went in there last winter and there was like no snow to be found. Though we only ran the creek in the valley there and the one bowl we did make it up to had some snow but for the most part it was pretty barren. Anyways, I'll be down for some riding this winter.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I ride in those areas and all points South too. We don't generally head out unless there is deeeeep snow to be found somewhere. (But willing to go to any place where the snow is really deep)
We spent a lot of time South last year didn't seem to have that much snow North last year. If you see me on the hill somewhere stop and say hello, Always good to meet the people you "talk" with on the site.
Here is more or less what my sled looks like, I where red/black gear and an orange helmet.
[galleryattach=16414]

Winter can't get here fast enough, have an itch I just can't scratch. I do start my sled and run it until its warm at least once a week[:D]

·
Registered
393 Posts
Originally posted by halVORTEX
[br]Hey, whats up. Do you mean boulder creek by mile 90 or so on the glenn? I was just up there in july on a ATV trip. I also went in there last winter and there was like no snow to be found. Though we only ran the creek in the valley there and the one bowl we did make it up to had some snow but for the most part it was pretty barren. Anyways, I'll be down for some riding this winter.
I am usually out in the Willow area alot early in the season just screwing around in the gravel pits and testing all the crap I did during the summer. We will have to get together and build a booter this winter. I am a big fan of the one next to the tracks and HP*AK.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Yeah it would be great to do some riding this winter. As soon as I'am done fixing our gaylord atv I will start on my sled transplant.
when you go on the overpass by HP AK the gravel pit is split in two. Theres the big one with the giant puddle/lake and a smaller one on the other side. My uncle owns the smaller one. He also has a loader and a bobcat. I want to build a booter on one side and jump the road. It would take a few people though to build it and of course there would need to be some spotters too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I usually ride in petersville eureka, wasilla/palmer area. i rider a 1999 powder special 700. i like riding any types of snow conditions as long as i get to ride. i usually go to gravel pits in talkeetna area get to test my sled out and keep my self busy.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I usually hit the Willow side of Hatchers early on, and anywhere between Eureka and Petersville that's got snow during the season. Didn't do much last year but I hope this year works out for more riding.

And if you guys were planning on hitting the fair today, traffic SUCKS. I don't know about the Anch side but it's backed up to the PW intersection right now on the Palmer side. Even the back ways are pretty clogged up right now.

I usually hit the Willow side of Hatchers early on, and anywhere between Eureka and Petersville that's got snow during the season. Didn't do much last year but I hope this year works out for more riding.

And if you guys were planning on hitting the fair today, traffic SUCKS. I don't know about the Anch side but it's backed up to the PW intersection right now on the Palmer side. Even the back ways are pretty clogged up right now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry for not replying quicker....was at the cabin this weekend. Ya boulder creek area. The snow WAS crap last year but there are alot of hidden areas where we go that no one has touched. fresh power and plenty of boondockin! Its great to see a few alaskans on here. Right on, well keep in touch and we can hook up. ITS COMING SOON>

HAL, you probably passed me on the trail. I go there almost every weekend. Stay at the cabin and do whatever. I like to say i live there and come to anchorage to work during the week. (my wife wont let me say that though.) anyway...if you go out there agian I ride a 02 honda forman usually hauling a green packrat trailer. See you on the trail!

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Where are the good snow conditions up there?? Fairbanks? Anchorage? How far north does one have to travel to find the deep stuff?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ultrastud......
Its ALL good! Really it depends on the year. You can ride almost anywhere. I like Cantwell which is about 3 hours north of here but it usually has
about 10 ft of powder. AHHHH sweet powder.(givin' me a 1/2 chub! its coming!) Valdez is the best with like 25 ft of snow but thats 5-6 hours from here.
In reality, its all world class snow. Why? U thinkin of coming up?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Slag, yeah we went up with a group of 8 people 7 machines. Me and my dad doubled up on our Rhino. We camped out on the riverbed for a couple of days. We went on a daytrip to the end of the canyon and sliced a tire. I had to shove like 6 tire plugs side by side into the hole and fuse them to get back 8 miles to camp. The setup was too sketchy to make it back to the parking lot. As soon as we went through that big bog after the river on the way out the rocks kept ripping the plugs out so we just started switching tires with another machine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
907...Ill let you know! Trees are turnin'.

Hal...You know where the sign is on top of the hill b-4 you hit the river....? That fork you take about 3/4 mile past that is where the cabin is. Its
nice in the winter. we usually start a fire and go ride some then come back to a warm cabin and cook something to eat and drink many beers! you (I think) are a young buck but....its AK. what happens at the cabin stays at the cabin. tell your pop he can come too. that sucks about your tire. that happend to me and i had to ride out on a flat. it makes for a long trip back. there was no patchin a blown sidewall. no rim damage though. SNOW IS COMING! 2 MONTHS MAN!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I danced on the fallen leaves in my yard this morning... k not really but I was almost that excited. Someone needs to invest in a chopper so we can all go glacier riding in the summer.

·
Registered
226 Posts
was up in Pville moose hunting this week, my cabin is back on Cache Creek... snow up high, especially behind the Dutch Hills.... there was a lot of road work this past summer and the old bridge once you pass the canyon has been replaced with a concrete one now...
sure hope it's a better snow year in Petersville than last year !

·
Registered
87 Posts
Die hards are riding around Fairbanks, drove down tonight. About 6 inches around Cantwell, getting a little deeper around mile 177. 3 to 4 around Trappers creek area. Was spitting snow from there to Willow. Wet snow from Big Lake on to Wasilla.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts