Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering if there was any alaskan riders here on this forum. If so, what do you fellas prefer to ride, and where do you like to ride? I usually ride either at Turnagain or Petersville. I was just wondering if you guys liked to mountain climb or if you liked carving and jumping.

www.sledtalk.com

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Yeah there are a couple of us out here.
I like Lost Lake, and the Eureka areas. Wide open and lots of varied terrain. I like hill climbing and riding in the deep powder.
OK last year first ride at Turnagain I was stuck a lot (5' of bottlomless powder) fisrt time I have ever gotten stuck trying to get to a hill.

What kinda riding do you like best?

Maybe I'll see ya around

Member #2 of the Arctic Cat Mind Control Team

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
We usually ride at Cantwell or Summit, planning a couple trips a bit farther south this year, I would prefer endless deep with some hill climbs and carving too!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Petersville, Willow side of Hatcher's Pass and Eureka. If we get a good dump, then the palmer hay-flats are a blast for just plain wide-open fun.

Boondocking through the deep stuff, carving turns like a jet-ski through sparce trees or wide open rolling hills. Extreem climbing is fun, but I can have my fill of that and let the younger adrenaline junkies go higher.

Best riding, bar none, is just before Thompson Pass on the way to Valdez. Spring time, deep snow, tough mountains, climbing, bowl after bowl.. beautiful vistas.. un-real. If the snow is good, then Paxson/Summit are awesome, a must do. If the snow is wind-blown, then it is awful. I did Turnagain, keep it. I gotta try the Caribou hills this year, never done that. I've heard it is fantastic.

'01 Summit 700 HM

See the snow halfway down the mountains this morning? I can't wait.... putting extra stuff on my sled.. you know you are adidcted when you start modifying.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
John in AK
Have you ever ridden at Lost Lake?
It sounds a lot like the area you describe in Thompson Pass.
I don't usually go that north/east to ride.

I have been riding at lost lake in late april early may on a clear day and man the view from the top of mount assention @ 5500' looking over resurection bay is awesome.

Maybe I'll see ya around this year. I ride a 2000 T-cat with orange skis & bash plate.

THINK LOTS OF DEEEEEEEEP SNOW.
WE WILL ALL BE RIDING SOON'/

Member #2 of the Arctic Cat Mind Control Team

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've ridden my mountain bike over lost lake trail, but never ridden the sled. I'm a little worried about the horror stories of going up (and down) the icy chutes to get there. No riding is worth a rolled and destroyed machine.

I'll look for the orange skis, mine is just a yellow 151 ski-doo... nothing out of the ordinary, except that I actully ride mine, unlike others that buy 'em to sit down and look good! :eek:)

John Here comes the snow!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I ride mostly in the caribou hills and Resurrection trail area of the Kenai Peninsula. I have yet to make it to lost lake by Seward but my friends say it is awesome riding. I tend to do more boon-docking and powder riding then anything.

2000 800RMK

Regards,
Nathan

Alaska The Great Land!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Anchorage here, Hey John in AK sounds like the 55 mile area my bud and his son go to just before Thompson Pass (20-30mile) or are you talking a little closer to the Pass like Ptarmigin Drop?

·
Registered
74 Posts
LOL acutally my Sig picture is one of myself at 55 mile on the Richardson back in the valley after the climb and through the first pass.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Soldotna here.. i ditch bang around my house with my zr and i take my mountain cat to the hills and petersville

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
<~~Anchorage.

I usually ride around Big Lake area. WHEN we have SNOW...lol!

·
Registered
831 Posts
I am totally envious of you guys in Alaska. All the outdoor sports a man could want.

Even better to be a full time resident up there.

I flew through there a few times while in the Air Force. Speechless beauty. Eileson AFB was not all that nice , but the surrounding country and people were just outstanding.

To you guys stationed in the AF up there, enjoy it while you can. Who knows where you will wind up next.

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
holy old post!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all. I'm in Anchorage. Just got new a sled this year :) 06 700 RMK 144. Have'nt been riding for about 7 years so I'm excited about having a seld again. My prvious sleds were a sikdo 583 and a Polaris Ultra (Tank). Only ridden 2x this year. been to Pettersville and Eureka. I've riden at other areas when I had a sled before. My fav areas would have to be Lost Lake and Eureka. Abd btw the trail to Lost Lk, is not all that bad if you go up the primrose trail side. Not icy at all. (Well that was 7 yrs ago too) Its a little longer to get up to the lake. 6 miles if I remember correctly. Bumpy as hell back then. Proly still is.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts