Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just bought a 1994 indy sport sks. I have a 1989 polaris indy trail. I want to put the black bellypan from the sport on the trail. The bellypan on the trail is damaged. I only payed 300$ canadien for the sport so i also wanted to know if everyone thinks that the hood will fit too. Basically i want to put the whole front end body from the sport onto the trail. The only reason i'm confused is because the 89 indy trail has a little different hood than the 94 sport. Just a summer project.Help?

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
It sounds like the Sport SKS is in better shape anyway...or is the tunnel pooched?

Spliting a tunnel and belly pan is a big job, try to use 1 chassis if you can.

How's the engine on the Sport?
If it's shot can you just transplant the Trail engine into the Sport chassis.

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
I agree with 500fasEnuf..Id rather have the sport fixed up then the trail..

·
Registered
777 Posts
i,m not 100% sure,but i would think it would fit,and as far as the removal and installation,its not hard ,just time consuming.lots of rivets.and if you do change out belly pans,look close at the bulkhead,i,m sure you,ll find lots of cracks.pretty common on sleds that old.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'n reply to 500fasEnuf, not the sports tunnel isn't pooched, the sled is in realy good shape, i think its got like 5100 miles on it, and yes the engine is fine, BUT, it needs a windshield, a clutch , it's a two-up sled which i DON'T like and worst of all, ITS ONLY A 440 FAN, IT will only go like 65-70mph. My trail will show me 85-90. What do yas think?

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I'd still try to keep the Sport going.

The Trail is 488 rather than 440, does it make that much of a difference in top end?

Is so, then swap the 440 engine out for the 488, pull the 1 up seat off the Trail and put that on...then you have esentially a Trail SKS longtrack.

However, swapping belly pans looks like it will work, just lots of it.

It's up to you which you think is easier or better. I'd love to have a 488 1 up longtrack.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah thats probobly the best idea, thanks, I'm trying to keep cost down cause i'm buying a 1995 arctic cat zr 580 in a bout a month. Don't know what i'm gonna do with all these sleds.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts