Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went out today and I was screwin around up on top of this bald mountain(alone of course) and when you cross the top theres another peak to climb that is pretty damn steep. I about made it to the top when the sled kinda got movin to the right so I kicked it around to get it straight and of course if just dug into the 2 feet of fresh pow
There I was sitten up there wondering what I should do.......try to ride it out backwards for about 300 yards on a 45 degree angle or try to turn it around
I dicided to turn around but I wasnt sure if it was gonna role all the way over once I got it sideways
so I started turning it slowly and at one point it tipped over on me but I caught it and held it up there.........lol I got it back on the skis and took a chance and let go.....and she started heading down the hill so I jumped on
My track wasnt hookin up in that pow and on the way down my brake wasnt helpin at all........by the time I was down I was doin about 120 mph lol.....scared the crap outa me

any real mountian rider can probly tell you the exact same story but this has been my first bad situation this year so I decided to post it lol

anyone had a bad situation yet this winter to?

·
Registered
611 Posts
Originally posted by BskidooC
[br]went out today and I was screwin around up on top of this bald mountain(alone of course) and when you cross the top theres another peak to climb that is pretty damn steep. I about made it to the top when the sled kinda got movin to the right so I kicked it around to get it straight and of course if just dug into the 2 feet of fresh pow
There I was sitten up there wondering what I should do.......try to ride it out backwards for about 300 yards on a 45 degree angle or try to turn it around
I dicided to turn around but I wasnt sure if it was gonna role all the way over once I got it sideways
so I started turning it slowly and at one point it tipped over on me but I caught it and held it up there.........lol I got it back on the skis and took a chance and let go.....and she started heading down the hill so I jumped on
My track wasnt hookin up in that pow and on the way down my brake wasnt helpin at all........by the time I was down I was doin about 120 mph lol.....scared the crap outa me

any real mountian rider can probly tell you the exact same story but this has been my first bad situation this year so I decided to post it lol

[:D]Hey thats just sound's like a lot of fun[:D]. One question why were you out alone?[:0]Not to sound like a a$$hole but no one should go out alone ever,especcialy in the mountains.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I rolled my 900 rmk this year already. made it all last your without rolling to bad.

P.S. you can never ride a sled backward.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
um usually using the brake never helps in the mtns if at all it makes u go faster because the snowbuilds up in you track causing the snow to roll beneath you. but yah i rmember my first trip out to the mtns wasn't so good. it was all hardpack they didn't get anysnow for a long time and so comming down the only thing to keep u slowed down was to keep the clutch engaged. hit teh brake u just slid sideways and faster

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I usually have good luck with braking down a powdery hill side. lol

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
^^^^exactly and also u should keep the clutch engage so u have an engine braking effect. and of course u can brake in powder but if its nto deep or starting to turn a little hard then its a different story

·
Registered
189 Posts
he was alone since all my parts for my sled did not come till tonight, OR I would have been with him. I should be back up there in a week or 2 and should be ready to PLAY.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah guys I was "pupming" the break...im not a newcomer to the mountains
and the reason I was alone was cuz I went out for a short ride after school and didnt plan to go to far and so I see the hill.........of course I wouldnt pass up the chance to climb it lol

im gonna go out and beat that hill today lol..........im gonna have friends this time though

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Originally posted by kessinger700RMK
[br]
Originally posted by BskidooC
[br]went out today and I was screwin around up on top of this bald mountain(alone of course) and when you cross the top theres another peak to climb that is pretty damn steep. I about made it to the top when the sled kinda got movin to the right so I kicked it around to get it straight and of course if just dug into the 2 feet of fresh pow

[:D]Hey thats just sound's like a lot of fun[:D]. One question why were you out alone?[:0]Not to sound like a a$$hole but no one should go out alone ever,especcialy in the mountains.

Easier said than done. If I waited for someone to ride with last season I would've put on like 5 miles. Its really hard to sled with someone when you don't have anyone around that snowmobiles or is way far and the parents wont let you go. And if I wait for someone to ride with this year I'll probly put on alittle more because I have a better sled now but I can't drive, neither can my friends plus they don't have sleds.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I think he ment that in mountain country its not such a good idea to ride alone. to many things can wrong. its not like flat land riding where you ride the trails all day long.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
i will never ride alone in the mountains. its no fun to ride alone anyways and dangerous except for maybe in cases like this its can be ok just to stick close to home and stay on the beaten path

today went for a ride and i rode my dads apex mtn all day and there was this really steep 50 foot high cut bank and i was climbing up and jumping then i started to start going sideways and im a small guy riding a big sled. dad though for sure i was gonna roll it but it was simple just stood ont eh highside and put the throttle to the bar. after today i really learned how to handle that sled.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I call BS. 120 mph. you said 2 feet of powder theres now way your gunna coast 120 mph in 2 feet of powder. the powder will slow you down. its not ice where you hall balls down it. ya and if you say you got stuck on such a steep grade, but you dug it out all by yourself. haha ya right. so you can run in 2 feet of powder to catch up and jump on your sled, again bs. and if you were standing by your sled when it went down then obviously you would have been on it before it went down the hill if its ready to go.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Derk, in the mtns its very possible to hit those speeds coming down
watch the second climb in this clip, he hit about 115 on the dream o meter...
sorry for my lack of a tripod...
I couldn't make it 1/3 of the way to the rocks on that climb.

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/gallery/_Images/Member%20Videos/General/2005321163010_7452.mov

·
Registered
46 Posts
Originally posted by fredly00
[br]Derk, in the mtns its very possible to hit those speeds coming down
watch the second climb in this clip, he hit about 115 on the dream o meter...
sorry for my lack of a tripod...
I couldn't make it 1/3 of the way to the rocks on that climb.

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/gallery/_Images/Member%20Videos/General/2005321163010_7452.mov
I can believe you can go 120 mph down a mt side. but in that video there was no 2 feet of powder. looked more like windblown snow. if your in that much of powder the snow is going to be slowing you down alot.

also how come bskidooc you posted lots of pics during the early seaon of the snow you where getting. so we know you have the camera, so why arnt you taking pics. of your rides now???? its broken right.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Originally posted by Derk
[br]
Originally posted by fredly00
[br]

I can believe you can go 120 mph down a mt side. but in that video there was no 2 feet of powder. looked more like windblown snow. if your in that much of powder the snow is going to be slowing you down alot.
I would have to agree with derk on this one. I find it hard to believe costing down any hill with 2 feet of powder would get you anywhere near 120 MPH. maybe if he had the throttle punched but not coasting.

in that vid clip was the guy coasting or throttling it? but ya not much powder in that vid either.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
^I'm going to have to agree with those two. I don't see any sled coasting at 120MPH down a hill through 2ft of powder.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts