Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a shorty seat for my Pro-X but first I want to clean up my tunnel. The previous owner kept tools in the seat compartment & they left some rust. After I get that off I'll want to buff it up, any ideas on rust removal & buffing that wont scratch the tunnel too much? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I just scrobbed an polished mine, it never really cleaned up the best, it is pitted from all of the tools also, I thought about puttin a new piece of alum over the top of it to clean it up an polish that so it looked good,

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
For cleaning random crap off the tunnel use a gas soaked rag. that will get adhesive/ other crap off. For the rust get some steel will and buff it off. If the rust is really on there then get a wire wheel and lightly rub the rust off. After aluminum in clean polish it with Mothers Aluminum. To take the polish off use a very soft cloth (cotton) that will give you best clean.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bj.hardy said:
I just scrobbed an polished mine, it never really cleaned up the best, it is pitted from all of the tools also, I thought about puttin a new piece of alum over the top of it to clean it up an polish that so it looked good,
I thought about getting some diamond plate but thought I'd try polishing first.

Dragon700 said:
For cleaning random crap off the tunnel use a gas soaked rag. that will get adhesive/ other crap off. For the rust get some steel will and buff it off. If the rust is really on there then get a wire wheel and lightly rub the rust off. After aluminum in clean polish it with Mothers Aluminum. To take the polish off use a very soft cloth (cotton) that will give you best clean.
I'll try the gas but I don't know about using steel wool, I would imagine it would scratch the hell out of it. Hopefully we have Mothers aluminum here in town, thanks.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I just went straight to using Mothers Aluminum and Mag polish on mine last year. First go cleaned all the crap off, and then we polished the tunnel completely a couple more times and it turned out pretty shiny. Not a professional job, but nice none the less. The Powerball makes quick work of it too. You can see the difference in these two photo's:

At the end of the season (2009) - random snowfall/last run:

At the beginning of the 2010 season:

Sorry I can't help with any ways of removing the rust though.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just use oven cleaner and a bbq cleaning brush for cleaning it up, then I use Mothers to polish it. I also do this to the diamond plate on my pickup truck. But make sure to cover any painted surface, the oven cleaner will take paint off. I also use the oven cleaner on my chrome bumpers too.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
I got some rust off of my tunnel just by using a buffing wheel on a drill and some mothers aluminum polish.

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
MXZ700SKS700 said:
Dragon700 said:
I'll try the gas but I don't know about using steel wool, I would imagine it would scratch the hell out of it. Hopefully we have Mothers aluminum here in town, thanks.
You don't use that aggressive of a steel wool...a fine enough steel wool will not scratch the surface. When I polish my tunnel, I will occasionally use 0000 steel wool with the polish to remove stained or stubborn oxidized areas.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got most of it cleaned with degreaser & a sponge(scotch brite side). 80% of the rust is gone & it left a light brushed steel look, still needs some work but is cleaning up good. Here are before & after pictures & one of my bulkhead all cleaned up. I can't wait to get it all back together.

2010519183422904_2812.jpg
2010519182817919_2812.jpg
201051918311391_2812.jpg

Quinlan said:
MXZ700SKS700 said:
Dragon700 said:
You don't use that aggressive of a steel wool...a fine enough steel wool will not scratch the surface. When I polish my tunnel, I will occasionally use 0000 steel wool with the polish to remove stained or stubborn oxidized areas.
I'm in barrow mode. It's a crazy small place & doesn't have most things so when I think steel wool I think SOS. I'll see if I can find some in town or online. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Go into the How-To section of the website and search for "shine like a mirror". The topic is by BRP-4-LIFE ( my old account ). There's a step by step on how to polish your tunnel.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Uh, yes actually. A few people enjoyed that topic. Dragon, it seems to me like your trying to draw attention like a high school drama girl. Try settling down for a bit.

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic/89007/display.aspx

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Classic Dragon!

Who in high school settles down???? Isn't that for once you are outta colege and have found someone to live with and you're finally bored to the point of no more partying???

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I suppose. But no need to bring your prissy school girl attitude onto a snowmobile website.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sledcrusher said:
Uh, yes actually. A few people enjoyed that topic. Dragon, it seems to me like your trying to draw attention like a high school drama girl. Try settling down for a bit.

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic/89007/display.aspx
Awesome, I'll definitely try this method. Little virtual beef, huh? Thanks Sledcrusher.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
A: it was a joke.
B: ill just let it go, to not clog up his topic.

SKS, once you get that shorty seat on, are you going to make a cover for the cooler hose, of just leave it un covered?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dragon700 said:
A: it was a joke.
B: ill just let it go, to not clog up his topic.

SKS, once you get that shorty seat on, are you going to make a cover for the cooler hose, of just leave it un covered?
Well they have a sheet metal press at work so I may make my own but I was going to look for the stock plastic one when I get the seat. It's crazy what people want for these seats especially when they collapse on you. I ride standing up most of the time so it's good for me.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
yea, it didnt help thet they were rare to begin with.... now when everyone want them, its like owning pure gold!

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
sledcrusher said:
I suppose. But no need to bring your prissy school girl attitude onto a snowmobile website.
I'm with Dragon for not clogging up his topic, but... Do you really think a prissy school girl would know ANYTHING about snowmobiles? Let alone know how to spell 'snowmobile?'

1 - 20 of 20 Posts