Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a shorty seat for my Pro-X but first I want to clean up my tunnel. The previous owner kept tools in the seat compartment & they left some rust. After I get that off I'll want to buff it up, any ideas on rust removal & buffing that wont scratch the tunnel too much? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I just scrobbed an polished mine, it never really cleaned up the best, it is pitted from all of the tools also, I thought about puttin a new piece of alum over the top of it to clean it up an polish that so it looked good,

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
For cleaning random crap off the tunnel use a gas soaked rag. that will get adhesive/ other crap off. For the rust get some steel will and buff it off. If the rust is really on there then get a wire wheel and lightly rub the rust off. After aluminum in clean polish it with Mothers Aluminum. To take the polish off use a very soft cloth (cotton) that will give you best clean.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bj.hardy said:
I just scrobbed an polished mine, it never really cleaned up the best, it is pitted from all of the tools also, I thought about puttin a new piece of alum over the top of it to clean it up an polish that so it looked good,
I thought about getting some diamond plate but thought I'd try polishing first.

Dragon700 said:
For cleaning random crap off the tunnel use a gas soaked rag. that will get adhesive/ other crap off. For the rust get some steel will and buff it off. If the rust is really on there then get a wire wheel and lightly rub the rust off. After aluminum in clean polish it with Mothers Aluminum. To take the polish off use a very soft cloth (cotton) that will give you best clean.
I'll try the gas but I don't know about using steel wool, I would imagine it would scratch the hell out of it. Hopefully we have Mothers aluminum here in town, thanks.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I just went straight to using Mothers Aluminum and Mag polish on mine last year. First go cleaned all the crap off, and then we polished the tunnel completely a couple more times and it turned out pretty shiny. Not a professional job, but nice none the less. The Powerball makes quick work of it too. You can see the difference in these two photo's:

At the end of the season (2009) - random snowfall/last run:

At the beginning of the 2010 season:

Sorry I can't help with any ways of removing the rust though.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just use oven cleaner and a bbq cleaning brush for cleaning it up, then I use Mothers to polish it. I also do this to the diamond plate on my pickup truck. But make sure to cover any painted surface, the oven cleaner will take paint off. I also use the oven cleaner on my chrome bumpers too.

·
Super Moderator
11,693 Posts
MXZ700SKS700 said:
Dragon700 said:
I'll try the gas but I don't know about using steel wool, I would imagine it would scratch the hell out of it. Hopefully we have Mothers aluminum here in town, thanks.
You don't use that aggressive of a steel wool...a fine enough steel wool will not scratch the surface. When I polish my tunnel, I will occasionally use 0000 steel wool with the polish to remove stained or stubborn oxidized areas.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got most of it cleaned with degreaser & a sponge(scotch brite side). 80% of the rust is gone & it left a light brushed steel look, still needs some work but is cleaning up good. Here are before & after pictures & one of my bulkhead all cleaned up. I can't wait to get it all back together.

Rust

Auto part Metal

Auto part Vehicle Engine Car

Quinlan said:
MXZ700SKS700 said:
Dragon700 said:
You don't use that aggressive of a steel wool...a fine enough steel wool will not scratch the surface. When I polish my tunnel, I will occasionally use 0000 steel wool with the polish to remove stained or stubborn oxidized areas.
I'm in barrow mode. It's a crazy small place & doesn't have most things so when I think steel wool I think SOS. I'll see if I can find some in town or online. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Go into the How-To section of the website and search for "shine like a mirror". The topic is by BRP-4-LIFE ( my old account ). There's a step by step on how to polish your tunnel.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Uh, yes actually. A few people enjoyed that topic. Dragon, it seems to me like your trying to draw attention like a high school drama girl. Try settling down for a bit.

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic/89007/display.aspx

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I suppose. But no need to bring your prissy school girl attitude onto a snowmobile website.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sledcrusher said:
Uh, yes actually. A few people enjoyed that topic. Dragon, it seems to me like your trying to draw attention like a high school drama girl. Try settling down for a bit.

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic/89007/display.aspx
Awesome, I'll definitely try this method. Little virtual beef, huh? Thanks Sledcrusher.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
A: it was a joke.
B: ill just let it go, to not clog up his topic.

SKS, once you get that shorty seat on, are you going to make a cover for the cooler hose, of just leave it un covered?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dragon700 said:
A: it was a joke.
B: ill just let it go, to not clog up his topic.

SKS, once you get that shorty seat on, are you going to make a cover for the cooler hose, of just leave it un covered?
Well they have a sheet metal press at work so I may make my own but I was going to look for the stock plastic one when I get the seat. It's crazy what people want for these seats especially when they collapse on you. I ride standing up most of the time so it's good for me.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
sledcrusher said:
I suppose. But no need to bring your prissy school girl attitude onto a snowmobile website.
I'm with Dragon for not clogging up his topic, but... Do you really think a prissy school girl would know ANYTHING about snowmobiles? Let alone know how to spell 'snowmobile?'

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.