Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions as to what to use for polishing aluminum. I have hear of some product that is blue in colour that is suppost to be the product of choice with the truckers. I have no name for it, only that it is like $35.00 Can for a quart size bottle.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
I'll second the Mothers. Available at any auto parts store.

NO FOREST FAIRIES(SKIERs)
BURN GAS SLEDS KICK AZZ!

TRIPLE-THE ONLY CHOICE!!!!!
'00 Indy Triumph
'93 XLT 580
'78 Arctic Cat Jag 3000

·
Registered
117 Posts
The "Blue stuff" you refer to is a form of jewelers rouge.
It comes in various colours representing various grades of abrasion.
The best form of this polish is in stick form. You apply it to a buffing wheel (the kind that has many pieces of round cloth sewn together and you apply the polish on the outer edge) on a high speed grinder/polisher. This works on aluminum, stainless steel and your car/truck windshield. You do want to be sure that you don't keep it in one place as it'll gouge the material fairly quickly. It is the best polish out there for metal. Allmost all the trucks you see going down the road with the shiny fuel tanks are regular aluminum. They then polish them to look like stainless steel.

Jeff

RIDE SAFE - RIDE SOBER
or
DRIVE LIKE LIGHTNING,
CRASH LIKE THUNDER!!

·
Registered
412 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by trailblazer:
You do want to be sure that you don't keep it in one place as it'll gouge the material fairly quickly. [/quote]

Yeah, I can vouch for that. A buddy was using this setup on a grinder at work, we polished my rings and wore the pattern off of one. Works great but be cautious!

Jacqui.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Medium cut rubbing compound followed by fine cut. Works awesome

I don't use the brakes until I see God, and I am never wrong. I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.
http://www.whiteknuckleperformance.com

·
Registered
614 Posts
Pick up some AUTOSOL from Crappytire, it works really good. I use to use it all the time on my tunnel ect.

"tie wrap it wide open"

·
Registered
167 Posts
ok heres some info on alum, polishing, im assuming you have things smooth to the point that you only need to buff to a high luster? if thats the case, i have one word for you " QUATTER" prononced water, you can find this stuff at a good truck stop, it is a polishing wad, and comes in a roll, this stuff is expensive but it is the best thing out there bar-none, and i mean ive used everything from mothers to wenol to eagle to you name it !, it works great, i have a bunch of classic cars and my old stingray has factory alum wheels and i keep them mirror like with this stuff.

if its not a CAT, then it must be a dog!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
vetboy: The stuff you are describing sounds like a product that we use, called "Neverdull" that came in a can and looked like cotton rolled up. It would turn black with aluminum. It really only started to work when it turned black. It sure took allot of elbow polish to get the shine.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Hey..

I've tried a few in the past and have stuck with Autosol the last while. Tried Mothers almiun and mag polish last . WOW.. , finished my rails on the xtra10 and they look like mirros with minimal effort. Very impressed.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can you buy this Mothers product at the good old Canadian Tire Store. For our American friends this is "the Canadian mans store" one or two trips a week.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
There used to be a product called "Flitz" I believe. We used to use it to polish the aluminum leading edge of aircraft. It took a lot of elbow grease.....but man, what a finish!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Originally posted by canadiantim2
[br]Can you buy this Mothers product at the good old Canadian Tire Store. For our American friends this is "the Canadian mans store" one or two trips a week.
[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
Boy Canadiantim2 you're really asking for the "wrath of Jacqui" here.
We go there as much as 2-3 times per day.
Any excuse will do.
You may want to edit that to "The Canadian's store." LOL [;)][:D]
Jeff

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am scared, as my wife has discovered Canadian Tire also only 2-3 times a week.her new saying is "They have everything"

·
Registered
412 Posts
Trailblazer already covered the "Canadian Man's Store" thing. I'm in there so often I find myself helping other people find things like I work there or something!

The other night I was there in my insulated coveralls, workboots, ponytail, safety glasses perched on top of my head, looking in the tool aisle for a gear puller. A guy there says "you must be a mechanic". I said "No, I'm just a tool & die maker. I'm just working on a snowmobile in my garage right now". Then I grinned and walked away. The guy didn't know what to say!

Jacqui.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jacqui583: I do not think you would want to work there as I am sure there are large number of dense customers there. Not in the tools section mostly around the loose bolts and nut bins. You know the ones that slide back and fore. the guy beside you is blocking your view and he does not have a clue as to what he needs.
PS. Can you buy this Mothers product at the good old Canadian Tire Store. AH

·
Registered
414 Posts
I also use autosol, it`s hard to apply but the result is quite good! but what should i use to keep the polished surface shiny?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Originally posted by canadiantim2
[br]
PS. Can you buy this Mothers product at the good old Canadian Tire Store. AH
They do carry an extensive selection of Mothers stuff, but I don't see the mag & aluminum polish on their web site. You can order it directly from www.mothers.com if your local store doesn't have it.

Jacqui.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I use semi-chrome polish you can find it at most auto stores, but if it is not there you will always be able to find it any place that sells Harley Davidson parts. I use it to polish molds that have to have a mirror finish. Also and Diamond finish compound, but there is steps involved in some Diamond compounds.
I am going to get some autosol and try, sounds like people have had good luck, can always use a back up when I run out of semi-chrome.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My vote goes to mothers, I just finished cleaning and shining the aluminum on my Renegade using mothers mag rim and aluminum polish. I haven't used anything like it before.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts