Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been enamored with snowmobiles for a long time, but haven't ridden one in a little over seven years. My dad had an Arctic Cat Jag Deluxe for a couple years when I was little, but it was sold, most likely because gas and insurance got to be a bit much. Then during my teens, my maternal grandfather gave us his John Deere 295/S and JDX8 that he had bought brand new, and that my mom had ridden in her high school days. And a few months after his death, they had to also be sold, "to pay some bills" is what I was told. Long shot that it is, I'm hoping to find those John Deeres somewhere today. Rare as they are, and as good condition as they were in when I last saw them(late 2011, early 2012), and considering they were both sold to collectors, I'd say there's a decent likelihood that they're still out there someplace. I've posted also in the vintagesleds and jdsleds forums, and to craigslist. Almost everything I remember of them is included in the craigslist ad, link below. If anybody here can help out, point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks for reading.

https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/wan/d/looking-for-john-deere-295/6759027428.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got a nibble, from that craigslist ad I think. I was contacted this week by the guy to whom my parents sold the 295/S. He's chopped the windshield to standard 295/S height and painted it John Deere yellow, cleaned up the gas tank and some of the engine bits, and believes the skis have different contours because one of them is probably a replacement steel ski instead of the aluminum that is standard for a 295/S. Said his dad had a 295/S and he doesn't wanna sell right now, but given my connection to this particular sled he would do so if I can find a third party willing to sell him their 295/S. That could make finding these sleds in the first place seem kinda easy, haha.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Cool stuff. I wish you luck in your search.

One question....how did my winter beater end up as your avatar pic?

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Nah, didn't like the colors lol.....kidding. Is that your car?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha, I wish. No, I have a 2010 Jeep Patriot and a 2003 Chevy Impala. Can't get the dealer to uninstall the automatic driving crutch lights feature either. 036.JPG Impala pic 1.jpg

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
If you are on FB join the groups called "john deere snowmobiles sale/parts/show" and "Midwest John Deere Snowmobile Enthusiasts". I have found them both to be helpful in finding parts and answering questions.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Newaygo co Mi?

I have a little JD collection myself
80 Liquifire
76 liquifire
75 340S
74 JDX4 special
74 400
custom Deere Sleigh

I am up by Mt. Pleasant

Reactions: RossoRacer

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Still nothing on the JDX8, but I did talk to the owner of the 295/S about a week ago. He doesn't want a clone of one, but might consider a 340/S or Cyclone if one of those comes up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Might have been a Liquidator he mentioned, as I've just recently been reminded that's the other rare one, but meh. Much harder to locate those anyways, apparently.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bump!!!! Still nothing on the JDX8, and no 295/S for sale has come across my radar. Got myself a 1980 Trailfire 340 in the meantime though. Needs a little work, but should be some fun when the snow comes and sticks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
but given my connection to this particular sled he would do so if I can find a third party willing to sell him their 295/S. That could make finding these sleds in the first place seem kinda easy, haha.

Speed Test

1 - 14 of 14 Posts