Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One time while trail riding years ago when our area used to have lots of snow, A freind and I went to an area know for large drifts. It was a fence line running north to south that seperated two huge corn fields. The fence was on the edge of a gradual drop off of about ten feet between the two fields. The constant West winds would blow the snow across the upper field, large drifts would form at the drop off. This day was after a big storm and we wanted to bash the virgin drifts. Needless to say we were having a blast. I had driven to the top of the drift and was hopping along like riding on the clouds. Suddenly with out warning I found myself right on the very edge of a large cuttout in the drift. I skidded to a stop but it was too late. Everything felt like it was in slow motion, like in a dream. I simply rolled over the edge and slid gently down the face of the cuttout. There I was completely un hurt burried under the snow and my machine was upside down, track up, pinning me there. The only thing that wasnt hilarious about the whole thing was my gas was running out. After I freed myself I was concerned about my friend possibly falling on top of my machine. When I clambered back up the drift all I could see was my friends sled and only the head and shoulders of my friend. He had seen the whole thing and was going to try and rescue me but when he stepped off his machine he sunk immediately to his arm pits and became stuck. I had to rescue him. What had happened was a large tree on the lip of the drop off had caused the cuttout to form. I learned from this and now even on smaller drifts I look for trees and know the drift will be cuttout at that point. Oh yeah the sled was un damaged too even though it fell upside down ten feet. The snow was just too fluffy. It was hard to start though. I wish I had my camera.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts

That is funny. Good thing nobody got hurt though. Gotta watch for them types of things.

A similar thing happened to a guy here, but I don't feel like typing a whole story out

Ride the Best!

·
Registered
290 Posts
My buddy was riding in front of me and went off the trail at about 60 mph 30 ft in and 5 ft deep, all you could see was his helmet from the trail he was ok.

I also camcorded a kid on his sled on a 15 ft high snowbank, he pinned the throttle and disappeared about 10ft down all you could see is smoke clouds. I was just going to put my boots and jacket on to help him, and about 6 family members had pulled up to hrelp him. It took over hour to get him out

·
Registered
2 Posts
Decided to let the kids get their own sleds. Before long, other peoples kids were showing up wanting to tag along. Not knowing what their skill level was, the wife and I agreed that she would tell them she was afraid of the sled and NEVER able to ride over 45 mph. They could travel with us anytime, but we stayed together as a group or they'd have to leave. One 16 yr old was a bit of a hot dog and would dust the other kids. For the most part, he reluctantly complied..... We are a polaris family and he had the artic cat complete with matching gear. While waiting at an intersection, a fully dressed artic cat sped past us. My wife grabbed her sled and took off into the powder. You could see the two of them speeding across the field pushing 85 mph. She was shaking her fist and signalling him to stop. Twice he nearly did and then dusted her. I thought....when she catches him, he is dead. My brother in law saw her sled and chased after her up the trail. She stopped him and said she couldn't push her sled any further ....."What ya chasing?" he asked. "jay" she said....catch the little *!!(+% .......Jay? said her brother Jay is back at the coffee bar waiting for lunch. Pity that poor b*stard she was chasing! She said she made eye contact twice and twice knew he heard her yelling get off that sled! To this day, every ride, the kids say......ya don't mess with Mrs. R.......she never goes over 45........

·
Registered
412 Posts
That's beautiful! lol

I'll bet even Jay stays in line on every family outing now... ya don't want to mess with Mama Bear!

Jacqui.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts