Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[:p]

So, even though I haven't been out on my new (to me) XcSp. I would like to change the gear ratio.
What I would like to know, among many things, is what Ratio should I go for?
Stock is 1.64. 25 Top / 41 Bottom

I could mix it up and get around 1.7ish....or maybe 1.8ish? What about in the 1.9 range?? (The sno-cross 2.1+ might be a little to much)

I have read a few (alot) of posts where advice is given on which gears to run or try. I understand I will loose top-end, but who cares. I want track speed down low.

Who has experience with the 1.7 - 1.9+ Ratios? What should I expect?

Thoughts and advice welcome
Thanks

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I dropped 2 teeth on my 98 xc 700. It was great for corner to corner. It would pull the front end more than stock. I loved it. I think I was running a 1:7 on it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Riding in northern lower michigan peimarily I set mine up at 1.9 . The trails here are tight with accasional long straights . For the accasional trip to the U.P I simply put the stock top gear on. I don't like to play with the bottom gear just the top whenever I played with the bottom I usually wound up buying another chain when changing the top normally you could drop 1 or 2 teeth without having to buy a new chain and when you do ride in wide open places it's a 10 minute job to set it up stock.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I just dropped my ratio, went from a 20/40(2.0) set up to 19/41(2.16). I am not interested in going 105 mph, I want to be in front of my buddies out of the corners. I will have a write up on it after we get some snow and I put a few miles on.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Leave it, that works well- ride it first. If you want to change for something to do try 23:40 with 74 chain. You will have to grind part of the tensioner heel down to fit, the result is zero driveline whine. You will have to change clutch weights to 64 or 66's and probably go to an Almond-blue primary spring. You will get full shift and not lose any top end, maybe gain. If you gear to a higher ratio and do not adjust clutching you will lose performance. 8000 rpm max on a calibrated tach.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.