Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys and gals i found another one off another board, And the guy Told me to post it on every site that i could find, And i myself from running the groomer around my area have seen this as well, so here Go's...I hope no one takes offense to what I am about to say. I am only addressing a few people. 95% of you guys are alright. We have 5% that should sell there sleds and stay home before they get killed or kill someone. The first problem that I and many others are witnessing is those of you who can't manage to get your snowmobile off the trail when you stop to have a cigarette or take in the scenery. I have heard from other rider's and have witnessed myself personally, groups of sled's parked right in the middle of the trail. One group was parked in the middle of the trail just after a sharp corner. If a sled were to come through at a high rate of speed, he would of either hit this group or would have been forced to go off the trail and hit a tree. Do you stop your vehicle in the middle of I-75 during busy traffic and get out and stretch? I don't think so! Why would you do it on a snowmobile trail when sleds are ripping up and down it? If you stop for whatever reason, get off the trail. Find a spot where you can do this. Those sleds can go off a groomed trail. They are designed and built to go in the snow. That means you can get off a groomed trail. Speaking of getting off the trail, reminds me of the second point I want to make. Friday night, I was on the Hulbert trail. This trail is narrow and when I am on this section there is about a half of inch between the drag and the snow bank and trees. I have no room to pull of the trail. A snowmobiler stopped in front of me. He stood up and put his arms in the air. After a couple of minutes he walks up to the groomer. I open the door and he asked if I could pull over. I told him, where do you want me to pull over at. I am nine foot six inches wide. I have trees on both sides. Where do you want me to go. He says, "We'll can you back up?" Oh yeah, I will back up two miles so you can get around me. That machine will go in the snow. You have got to move. So he gets on the sled and sitting straight up on the seat he attempts to go off the trail. He hits the edge on a angle and doesn't lean. We'll he tips over. I wished I could have gotten a picture of this but my disc was already full. I wonder how long this guy has been riding? What was sad was he was the leader of six others. I get out of the groomer to help him. He says he can do it. He gets the machine off the trail and stops. Okay buddy you got it off the trail and you stop. Where are the other six sleds going to go? Are you stupid? So I get off the groomer again and tell him to ride by those trees and once you are buy that big blue thing with the lights flashing on it, then you can get back on the trail. Once you accomplish that, then the other six people with you can follow your lead. I am not kidding you guys. This happened Friday night. I spent 40 minutes on this group. Now for the third issue. Monday morning I am heading back to Hulbert to give you guys an update. I was heading down M-28 and guess what went flying by me at about 80 miles an hour. You guessed it. Snowmobiler's. Now they weren't on the shoulder. They were in the traffic lane. Going 80 plus miles an hour!!! Down a major highway! And you wonder why we have law enforcement? This was at 11:30 in the morning. I couldn't believe it. Now let's talk about Saturday night. I went out to start the groomer. While I was checking the oil, five sleds lined up side by side. This is in downtown Hulbert. This town is settled down in a little hole. You have to go up a long hill to get out of town by car. These guys lined up and drag raced up the hill. They then raced back down the hill. Apparently they couldn't figure out who won because they did it again. I stood on the tracks of the groomer and just shook my head. While I was shaking my head, I noticed house lights starting to light up. What a group of idiots!!! Sorry to use such a ugly word but that is exactly what they are. And again, you wonder why law enforcement is out and about. I am truly sorry that you have to read this. But it is something that has to be said. Our website is reaching thousands of people and if we can get through to these 5% of idiots and change them or get them to sell there sleds then we have done something. We have some educating to do. I am almost to the point of buying me a paint ball gun. When I see someone doing something stupid I will shoot them in the helmet with a paint ball. Then when you see someone walk in a bar or restaurant splattered with paint, you will know that this person is an idiot and should not be riding. I don't want to go to that extreme. Hopefully we can reach them this way. I have met so many wonderful people since April of 2000. That is when the Chippewa Snow Chasers was formed. 95% of you are descent and responsible people. It's these 5% that we have to get rid of. They might get rid of themselves if they continue to do this stupid S*# But someone will take there place. That is why I am on a mission to get rid of them and educate the new ones coming to the sport. Do you think you are a man if you go 110 mph down a trail when the traffic is heavy? There is a time and place to use the throttle. It is not when you are drunk and it is not when the traffic is busy. We have snowmobiler's drag racing down a trail side my side on Saturday evening's when the traffic is heavy. What are you doing? If you want to commit suicide, I have the address and prison number to ole Jack Kevorkian. Maybe if you go visit him he can hook you up. I just hope you visit him or sell your sled before you kill an innocent person. I really hope I got through to some of you that are doing this foolish nonsense." [:)]

·
Registered
328 Posts
Very well put, couldn't agree more with you. Our club is actually thinking very seriously about buying a paintball gun to use on people who do not wish to pay our trail fee's. Right now, we try to have three guys and one woman with a video camera around when we collect trail fee's. As of now, we have had four or five fights break out do to the fact that people refuse to pay the $5-10 trail pass and are willing to fight over it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Wow! That's quite a post!

I feel like we're always "preaching to the quoir" when we discuss these topics, but when you think about it a lot of people new to the sport come here looking for advice. Being new and legitimately not knowing is one thing, but unfortunately I think the worst cases are those who think they are above the rules like many of the examples in your post. I don't know what the answer is for those ones. Some people have to learn the hard way, and unfortunately take someone else with them.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Elanman, I bet you just love the posts by people asking what they need to do to make their sled sound nasty.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
lol

That is one long paragraph.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Personnally I love the paintball idea.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Speaking of racing through town. Last year in manistee some guys blew through town at 80+ mph. It was blowing to beat all, and a cop spotted them. Only one out of four was cought when his sled hit a culvert where the road divided. Wish I still had pics of his sled. not pretty. That stunt costs him almost 700 bucks

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
i really wouldnt use the paintball idea, becuase technically a paintball marker is considered a "gun". If u go out and shoot people in the head with a "gun", then wouldnt u be one of the complete morons who should sell there sleds and stay home. Just makin a point.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Finally i'm at the bottom!!! Long but well said. We have exact same problems. We have had about 5-10 killed a year.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Holy Smokes, that was a painfully long post. Don't have much in the way of groomed trails around here or towns that are where we ride. Sorry to hear that people are riding fast on 10' wide trails, the price you pay for living where you are.

Shooting them with a paintball gun would make you at least as much of an idiot as they are.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts