Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two Ski-Doo's.

One's a 98 SLE 500 and the other is a 97 LE 440.

Getting ready for the season I have bought new plugs and greased all the fittings and charged the battery on the 97 (man - what a job to remove it!)

I have checked the chaincase oil and on the 98 I noticed a bit of metel filings on the dip stick magnet....so I am going to attempt to change the oil myself ... on both sleds.

The question I have is - Is this a hard job? I have looked at the chaincase but do not see any type of drain plug. How do you drain the oil?

Anyone with a Ski-Doo...please help.

Thanks in advance!
Rob.

·
Registered
837 Posts
those shavings are normal, every sled gets them, but for draining you just remove the cover but on the new zx ones they have a drain plug, not hard to change oil

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yep, you pull the cover off and the oil just goes everywhere! It's hard to get something to fit underneath to catch the oil, not much room there. Some people use a siphon hose to get the oil out first. I also read where a guy put a grocery store plastic bag underneath to catch the oil.

It's good to remove the cover because then you can give everything a good looking over. You'll probably have to remove your exhaust to get at it, though.

Have fun!

Jacqui.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oil everywhere eh!

Hmm....

I'll have to take a second look. ... but your idea of sucking the oil out of the dipstick opening is interesting. I guess u can do this first then open her up with less of a mess.

Thanks for the feedback.

Anymore ideas?

Cheers :)

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
When you remove the cover sometimes the gasket dosent seal good anymore. I always put a little silicone on the inside and outside of the gasket. works for me. Also its the best time to inspect and adjust your chain tension. Its real easy to do.

Reasonable people adapt to the world around them....Unreasonable people try to change it.

·
Registered
837 Posts
i just pulled my covers off both my sleds and found the top gears are both one size smaller then stock, but anyway it was very easy, there is a large Oring gasket that seales it, i know i have to replace one but it is a $1.50 item. does anyone know what 24 to 25 will do for top speed i bought both sleds used and they were geared down, right know the 96 mxz 583 has a 24 top gear and i want to go back to stock 25, right know it maxes out a 80mph and 8000rpm what will the sapeed increase to. and on my 01 mxzx 800 it has a 26 top now and i will go back to stock 29, the fasted i had it was 90mph, what will the peed change to with the 1 tooth. thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
Is a 99 polaris RMK the same to were you just remove the cover????

95 xcr 600
99 RMK 700
If you have control your not going fast enough!!!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
My 97 XLT has a drain plug under the sled. I would hope the 99 would still have it. If you find it make sure you are using a good quality allen wrench that fits. The plug can get stuck pretty tight after a few seasons and you wouldn't want to strip it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a Yamaha and to change mine we tipped my sled on its side. Then we just unscrewed the chaincase cover and took one of those things you use in your kitchen, a baster i believe it is called. Just sucked out all the old oil with that, takes a little while, and then wiped it out all really clean. Then put some new oil in, put the chaincase cover back on, and put the sled back in its normal position. Then I checked the fill plug to make sure I had enough oil in it and added if I need to. Just make sure to lay a blanket down or something like that on the side where you are tipping your sled so you don't scratch it and be careful. Let it down slowly. Works like a charm!

·
Registered
117 Posts
My 94 Yam Vmax 600 LE had a drain plug.
One of the bottom bolts that hold the cover on was also a drain plug.
It was marked on the cover as a drain.
HOWEVER, I don't know if it makes much difference as you couldn't get anything under there to catch the oil as it ran out except for Jacqui's grocery/garbage bag idea maybe. (I do like that one.)
Just make sure you either use your neighbour's driveway to drain the oil (If they're not sledders they probably don't like you allready anyway.
)
or have plenty of Oil-Dry or kitty litter handy.
Good Luck!
Jeff

RIDE SAFE - RIDE SOBER
or
DRIVE LIKE LIGHTNING,
CRASH LIKE THUNDER!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Polaris XLTSP,

You said that there is a drain plug on the Polaris chaincases. I have a Polaris 2000 - 700 DLX w/ 5000 miles on it. I have added oil to the chaincase, but have never changed it.

Do I just drain it from the bottom of the sled and add new chaincase oil to it, or is there something else I need to do?

Thanks
Fred

1 - 12 of 12 Posts