Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a bad regulator make a sled not get spark. My sled stopped getting spark about 1 week ago. I was told it was the regulator. When you turned the handwarmers on high all the electrical on the sled would go real low. The lights would go out the rpm gauge quit but it still ran. Is this related to the voltage regulator do you think. Where is the regulator located on my sled. It is 97 xc 440. How hard is it to replace. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks again

·
Registered
187 Posts
As you said everything went low but kept running. Your regulator is just that regulates the power for lights, hand warms or any eletric acc. As for no spark is the coil getting power? Is the cdi getting power have you checked any of these try to eliminate the easy things first.Is your igniton switch Ok? I would check any of these things first. Your lighting coil runs the power for the electric acc.also your tach signal. But if you have lost spark I think you may have a problem in the exciter or pulse coil or one of the other ignition items.You need to get the specs for your machine and start checking resistances to eliminate each one.Good Luck I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Originally posted by Willy
[br]Can a bad regulator make a sled not get spark.
No...

When you turned the handwarmers on high all the electrical on the sled would go real low. The lights would go out the rpm gauge quit but it still ran.
This is a bad voltage regulator...

Where is the regulator located on my sled. It is 97 xc 440. How hard is it to replace.
I think its by the foot well, under the ignition system... Its not hard, just some bolts and easy clip cord change...

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think your right. The voltage regulator was lighted up for along time. It had an orange light when it was runnning.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts