Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing 1" stainless studs with plastic backers, after about 10 I though I should find out how tight they should be. I have been tightening so the back of the stud is slightly recessed into the back of the track. Should I be cranking them a bit tighter as to recess 1/16 or so? How about loc tite? Any suggestions would be great, Ive stopped until I find out.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I would torque them to about 100-120 inch/pounds, or untill the heads are flush, thats what the woody's sight says, or you can go there and look for yourself, http://www.wiem.com/studinstallation2.htm and use locktight.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
If your using nylock nuts, there is no need for locktite. As for the torque specs i'd check the the mfg's website or give them a call.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I usually go with the torque spec crowd, but on this one I follow a different path. Mostly because I don't have a torque wrench that goes down into the inch-pound range. I tightened mine until the head set itself into the track a little. Trying for flush without cranking down too hard. I haven't had any problems in 3 seasons. So I guess it worked for me. But, if I had an appropriate torque wrench I would have used it[:D]

·
Registered
711 Posts
Tighten the studs untill they are flush with the track on the bcak side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts