Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if any of you knew how to remove the pin stripes off a car or truck? I have some on my jimmy, and I just want them off, they look soo bad. they are starting to chip in some spots, so i know its on top of the clear coat. But I didn't want to scrape them off with an exacto, unless their is an easier way?

its the small silver line underneath the windows that i want to get rid of...

·
Registered
463 Posts
use a blow dryer to soften up the stripe, get it started peeling up with your fingernail and start pullin go slow and hold the blow dryer ahead of you softening up the strip as you go! then use goof-off to remove the glue residue, the goof-off in the spray bottle is SWEET, you can spray it on an let it sit for a min. and the gunk will wipe right off!

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alright so its basically the same as removing a decal from a snowmobile. hahah Ill try it out this weekend.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Go to an autoparts store that sells body material. You will find a large eraser wheel that fits into a cordless drill. Takes it right off, no mess. Just make sure you don't stay in the same spot for too long, it will burn the clear coat.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
88400 said:
Go to an autoparts store that sells body material. You will find a large eraser wheel that fits into a cordless drill. Takes it right off, no mess. Just make sure you don't stay in the same spot for too long, it will burn the clear coat.
ok. do you know how much those cost? Cuz I don't wanna spend a bunch of money to get a sticker off my car. haha

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
if theyre sticker ones then a heatgun will do fine, if theyre painted on then use easy-off oven cleaner and 3 or 4000 grit wet sand and buff it out when done

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
just an fyi those pinstripes are a pita to get off we took them off my buddys blazer and it was probbably a total of 2 weeks before they were completley removed because peeling them would make your fingers bleed because they came off in so many small peices

·
Registered
187 Posts
as said above heat gun and goof off works great on the stricker kind oven clean for the paint one just take ur time ive removed my fair share of both

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
Heat gun and some time/patience will do the trick. I stripped all the decals and molding on my Silverado this summer using the same method. A little goo-gone or equivalent was needed for a few spots. Then when I was done I washed and clay barred the whole thing just to be sure I got all the adhesive off.

Before and after...
200981913343133_3852.jpg 200996164939359_3852.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Quinlan said:
Heat gun and some time/patience will do the trick. I stripped all the decals and molding on my Silverado this summer using the same method. A little goo-gone or equivalent was needed for a few spots. Then when I was done I washed and clay barred the whole thing just to be sure I got all the adhesive off.

Before and after...
Your truck look's sharp Quinlan! [thumb]

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quinlan said:

Before and after...
thanks for the pics quinlan. Thats what I was going to do this sping also, I already have some pots I need to use the clay bar on. How long did it take you to get the molding off on your truck? I have some on my jimmy and I hate it on there. Just use a heat gun and goo gone on that as well??

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
I did it in two steps. One night I removed just the molding, and another night I removed all the decals. It's one of those Saturday or Sunday type projects. For the molding, I used a heat gun and a plastic scraper (with a blade wider than the molding). I heated the molding up until it was hot to the touch, then pulled up and out on the leading edge while pushing the plastic scraper behind it to loosen the adhesive. I usually went 8-10" at a time, then would reheat the molding. If you can get the scraper behind the adhesive strip(s), there will very little left on the clean up when you're done. Once you figure out a system on the first piece of molding, you will have them off in no time flat.

On mine, the molding came off much easier than the decals did. The decals left a bunch of adhesive left to clean up.

·
Registered
705 Posts
use a heat gun. and if some of the glue stays on the vehicle go buy a jug of Finnal Wipe. the stuff works great

1 - 16 of 16 Posts