Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was discussing the pros and cons with another dealer today about pipes on the ultra and he pretty much talked me out of it. He was talking about "gutting" the muffler for a small price, and with new jets you add a few more hp and he claims it sounds just like its piped...has anyone ever heard of this??

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
No HP gains with a gutted pipe. You can't replace pipes.

You'll sound like your piped but you wont have the HP to back it up, and he'll prolly just lean it out to gain maybe a HP or two. Go with the triples, they're worth the extra 20HP

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am told when you add the pipes you have to change the needles on every 10 degree in temp. change. Where i live the temp. is very unstable. He stated he could do the muffler for 150 bucks???

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
go with the aaen triples. lol they look so nice and sound even better, but how they run. oh man. you will wonder how you got buy without them!!!

your dealer doesnt know what he is talking about. tell him to stick to stock repairs. you never gut a can. why gut it to repack it? it will be a loud dud. it will sound sick. for the first 1 minute it will be cool. after that you will hate it and there will be no hp gain.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yeah people gut the can and it's ok for sound but no HP, a dealer trying to charge you to do it, is a little shady, I would not go back to that guy. Cause he doesn't know much about tuning if that's his recommendation.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Where I ride it is typically around -15 C or so mid season, we can see swings from -30 to above 0 throughout the season, I've never changed needles, I've raised or lowered them but never changed them.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Originally posted by mdmaniac
[br]No HP gains with a gutted pipe. You can't replace pipes.

You'll sound like your piped but you wont have the HP to back it up, and he'll prolly just lean it out to gain maybe a HP or two. Go with the triples, they're worth the extra 20HP
20 hp? I believe its more like 45-48 hp gains with pipes. cause a stock ultra was 103, and with pipes it can go to anywhere from 145-150 hp.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Ok, from what i understand, the ultras run better, last longer, create about 45-50% more hp, and sound about 1000 times better with pipes. Ok, the dude from the dealership doesnt know what hes talking about. Please do your self a favor, and go buy a set. I guarentee it well be the best thing youve ever bought for the sled.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Originally posted by Pance
[br]
Originally posted by mdmaniac
[br]No HP gains with a gutted pipe. You can't replace pipes.

20 hp? I believe its more like 45-48 hp gains with pipes. cause a stock ultra was 103, and with pipes it can go to anywhere from 145-150 hp.
Pance is absolutely correct!!!!!

The ULTRA responded the BEST with the pipes out of all tripples with at least 40HP, bringing it to the 145-150HP and SUPER FAST and RELIABLE.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where I ride it is typically around -15 C or so mid season, we can see swings from -30 to above 0 throughout the season, I've never changed needles, I've raised or lowered them but never changed them.

What kind of sled do you have the pipes on?

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Originally posted by 97SPX680
[br]iamultraman:
Why not buy my Pipes and I'll go get some new ones...LOL[:D]

You can see them to the left....
SPX's have different pipes then regular wedge ultras. i am assuming his is a wedge. they arent interchangable (wedge to agressive)

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
i am 100% with everyone, go get pipes! but i havent seen where this guy said year of the sled. were all assuming he has the wedge. if he has the ultra hes already up on a wedge, he came stock with triples. wont get the 40 hp gain. he needs to clarify what year sled he has. i can beleive a parts dealer wants to gut your box not sell you a set of pipes.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
so is it safe to say without getting too far off topic that you can bolt on a set of triple pipes, on a 96 ultra and with the proper jetting/needle/carb setup you can ride somewhat tinker free after that??even with the temperature changes throughout the season?

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
yea, just get a tempaflow for the jetting if you want to set it and forget about it.

20HP sounded reasonable, i knew it was more than the XLT got, but wasnt exactly sure on a number!

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
mdmaniac is right. today there is enough carb tuning tricks out there that you should never burn down. once you have a baseline setup and you stay a tiny bit on the fat side. you will never have problems. its the guys that jet for that day or they set up the jetting for the day they put on the pipes. then they run the heck out of the sled or get a cold day and dont check there plugs. boom went there engine. with the tempaflow, and following the recomeneded setups by the pipe maker you should be fine. and once in a while pull the plugs to check them.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.