Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys i'm looking for my first sled and today I found one in the paper and went and looked at it. It's a 96 Polaris XCR 600 Sp with 950 mile, his asking price was 2450, but we negotiated to 2300$ and he puts carbides on it. The sled is absolutely flawless from what I could tell but I dont know much about sleds either. Anything very specific I should look for before buying it? What kind of history do these sleds have?

Thanks for any help, and its a really nice board you guys have here.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Check the condition of the track...look for tears or signs of possible failure. If he will let you, take a compression test on each of the cylinders...they should be within 10% from one another. Check for major signs of wear in the clutches. Ask the guy how he maintained the sled, and any possible receipts he may have for it. Ask him about summerization, if he did or didnt do it, and what he did exactly when he did summerize it. there is alot more but i feel these are some of the important issues.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
614 Posts
There was suppose to be a thermostat up grade on that model, that year, ask if it was done.

"tie wrap it wide open"

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Never heard of this thermostat upgrade. I rode one of these sleds all last season and my dad did for a few years before that. Its a pretty nice sled but heavy. It can really open up on a lake and rip. The only thing besides weight I should really mention is there is a dead spot in the clutching. For some reason about 4500-6000RPMs there is a dead spot. You ride around in this mostly at normal 30mph trail speeds and it can get annoying. You need to learn to play the throttle right so taht it stays in that range and rides good. Otherwise you will be doing 20mph or 50mph befor eyou know it. It takes some getting used to and the sled sounds like it is dogging it when it gets in this area but its normal and all right when you figure it out.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sled dog i researched some of your other posts about this sled and seen that you noted the dead spot, it will be used for a lot of lake riding so the weight dosent bother me too much. The track was in really nice shape and he had proof that the sled was inspected and was taken car of really really well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts