Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some interesting reading...

http://www.prepsparkplugs.com/

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Very cool! I wish i had the patent on that design!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Very interesting! However I didn't see the survey they spoke of, nor did I see any where how much they cost, or where you could purchase them.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
They gave a hint that they would cost about $5.00 each, but nothing certain. Which is still good IMO.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks, we appreciate the comments!

The plugs are still being refined and developed for snowmobile applications, and will be tested with a snowcross team this winter. We hope to get a bunch out to beta test and get feedback. These plugs are vented with excessive heat and pressure, which is peaked when detonation and hydrolock conditions are present. They will solve 3 out of the 5 problems that destroy or damage your motor. Heat, detonation and Hydrolock (any liquid injested into the combustion chamber- liquids can not be compressed and cause excessive damage. These plugs will not solve wear or lack of lubrication.

The same heat range and properties you expect will be developed into these plugs. Our first application is using BR9ES, which is the most common snowmobile plug. We plan on developing other common types as well.

Pricing will soon follow and when ready for mass market we will advertise and distribute. Hopefully will be found in Shade Tree, Dennis Kirk, JR Graham, Mfg Supply and etc.

They will hopefully be available by next summer/fall if all testing and development goes as planned.

Originally we had developed a plug that if vented would need to be replaced. Which is not so bad considering, that if reaching the pressure and temps to vent, just saved your motor. We are working on a new design that will allow resuing the plug after venting by replacing a small threaded external flush vent. Testing will help in determing what works best.

If you have any questions please email or call 651-353-6891.

George Anderson
Thermofluid Innovations
www.prepsparkplugs.com

·
Registered
837 Posts
ok i get it know with you last paragraph, so the plugs vent with a very high pressure, i have to ask if these will work on high copression mod motors, and what if the different pressures of normal combustion compared to detination?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
They definately sound like cheap insurance for your sled. I'll definately look into picking up a set when they become available. Specificly the reusable ones. As I said before.......very interesting, and thanks for the additional info Chip.

·
Registered
12 Posts
mattgross,

Under normal conditions with high compression heads or not, the pressures applied are not even close to the spike in temp and pressure that occurs when detonation is present. Hope this helps.

George Anderson
Thermofluid Innovations
www.prepsparkplugs.com

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Interesting. I belive that it could help save a motor from detonation....

Allowing a not very dense gas to escape out a small opening at a high pressure isn't a big deal, you can get a lot of gas through in a small amount of time.

but hydrolock, is another thing. You are trying to force an (incompressable) liquid through a (tiny) fixed opening, QUICK enough to relieve the pressure rising in the combustion chamber. I don't think you could get even 50ccs of liquid out of a small hole, much less if the chamber is full (extremely flooded motor). = bent crank, and rods.

Just my initial reaction....

-Dean

·
Registered
328 Posts
ripperd2, i maybe way out on a limb here, but i think that if you can get the gases out of the cylinder. That would mean there isn't as much pressure as if there was the gases and liquid in the cylinder together. I might be completely wrong there, but thats how i understand it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
ripperd2,

Yes that would be correct if you had a chamber full of water. However, hydrolock and engine damage can and does happen when just a small amount (since it is uncompressible) causes a extreme peak in pressure. So with this spark plug it reacts before you get that far. Any pressure relief you can give to any pressure vessel is a good thing since you will not have those damaging peak pressures.

That is always the thinking when talking about hydrolock, that a small hole could not escape alot of water, but the case being as stated above that when you get just a little bit that would be damaging (doesn't take much since water does not compress, and as we have seen in testing) it can escape and vent the pressure that would otherwise cause damage.

We really appreciate the comments and questions.

George Anderson
Thermofluid Innovations
www.prepsparkplugs.com

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here is some information as found on our website about hydrolock....

Only a small amount of water can cause, and only a small amount of water is usually present in, a hydrolocked engine. A small amount of water with a large amount of air drastically increases the "effective" compression ratio of the cylinder. In many cases of hydrolock, simply venting the air out of the cylinder is sufficient to prevent hydrolock. Provided that the volume of liquid water does not exceed the combustion chamber volume, venting only air from the cylinder will prevent hydrolock. If the volume of water in the cylinder exceeds the combustion chamber volume, by say, 10%, only the extra 10% of the water must be vented, along with all of the air. PREP Spark Plugs are with designed to provide a maximum vent area for expulsion of gasses and small amounts of liquids during hydrolock. Laboratory and field tests show that PREP Spark Plugs can prevent engine damage in all but the most extreme hydrolock conditions.

George Anderson
Thermofluid Innovations
www.prepsparkplugs.com

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I have a question:

Approximately, what price will these plugs sell for?

·
Registered
12 Posts
MegaMan,

I can not say for sure due to being in the process of testing, development changes, suppliers, & etc. But our goal originally was under or around the $5 ea. mark for a typical plug like the BR9ES. Agian we will be coming out with pricing when we finish the development and testing and be as competitive as possible.

George Anderson
Thermofluid Innovations
www.prepsparkplugs.com

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Originally posted by Chip
[br]ripperd2,

Yes that would be correct if you had a chamber full of water. However, hydrolock and engine damage can and does happen when just a small amount (since it is uncompressible) causes a extreme peak in pressure. So with this spark plug it reacts before you get that far. Any pressure relief you can give to any pressure vessel is a good thing since you will not have those damaging peak pressures.

That is always the thinking when talking about hydrolock, that a small hole could not escape alot of water, but the case being as stated above that when you get just a little bit that would be damaging (doesn't take much since water does not compress, and as we have seen in testing) it can escape and vent the pressure that would otherwise cause damage.

We really appreciate the comments and questions.

George Anderson
Thermofluid Innovations
www.prepsparkplugs.com

Ok, that goes with the way I would think too. I guess when I first read the claims I was a little skeptical, I see alot of snake oil remedies on the internet, but yours seems to a legit product...

thx for clarifying, and I hope you do well!

-Dean

1 - 15 of 15 Posts