Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[/font=Comic Sans MS][purple][/purple]I want to change the antifreeze and need some ideas where best to drain it and how.
Thank-you!

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
there should be a hose to drain it out of. on my powder special there is a hose that has a plug in the end and it all should drain out of there..

·
Registered
190 Posts
On many sleds you just disconnect a lower coolant hose and open the filler cap. You will need a big drip pan to catch it. You may also have an air bleed fitting on the coolant pump intake side. It always seems to be a mess...[xx(]

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Car antifreeze is fine. I use the orange stuff, but you don't have too. 50/50 is good, pretty standard. You can also buy it premixed.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Just make sure the antifreeze you use is safe for alluminum...... most brands are.... and it will always say it on the label wether it is or isn't.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sounds like a messy job ahead. Too bad Polaris didn't install a drain plug on the cooler under the track. One could then just stand the sled up, drain, no mess.
Are you listening engineers?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I just undo the small clear hose that comes off the large black hose on the front of the engine, and returns to the overflow jug. Where it unhooks in front, I put a spare piece of hose on the fitting and use it to drain the antifreeze into a bucket. Be sure to open the filler neck cap as well. No mess.

Of course this doesn't "power flush" the enitre coolant system, there's still some in the hoses and running board heat exchangers. But it does get quite a bit of it out.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Just a word of caution, if you plan on using the orange antifreeze (GM DexCool) make sure you chemically flush and rinse your cooling system several times before you put in DexCool. DexCool does not mix properly with green antifreeze and may turn to a brown sludge. There is also documentation that indicates that when the two types are mixed there is the possibility of an aluminum corrosion problem. It is recommended not to use Dexcool in a system that did not have it orginally installed. It's best to use the antifreeze recommended by the manufacturer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts