Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I start my 2002 zr 800 and it has a sweet smell with white smoke coming out of my muffler, I checked my plugs and noticed that they were wet and mostly from antifreeze.. I checked my pistons and they were soaked! what should i do or check for?

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Sound like the gaskets, take off the heads and check the rings and gaskets. The gaskets are there to prevent water from getting into the cylinders.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had the same thing on my T Cat, pulled the heads and the inners were smashed flat, im changing them right now..lol

·
Registered
108 Posts
08mxzx600 said:
LDD2 said:
my guess would be that there is a crack in your cylender(s) were the andifreeze runs around your pistons and its leaking into the center of the cylender onto the pistons
check your gaskets first. never heard of the cylinder cracking. gaskets are most likely the cause, and theyre cheaper to replace too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i checked my gaskets, and they seem to be flat. How would i know if the cylinder is cracked? it starts fine, just bogs and smokes like crazy. I also had a bunch of water and antifreeze in my muffler when i took that off..

·
Registered
474 Posts
If the head gasket was leaking you should be able to see a little spot where the coolant was running across it. It doesn't have to be a big spot.. it can be the width of a pin. Usually the gasket will be missing or discolored there. I would say it is unlikely that the cylinder is cracked unless it had straight water in it and froze. Do you have heated carbs?

Not sure about that sled but would it be possible that the seal behind the water pump is bad and its getting into the crank? This could only be possible if the pump was crank driven though.

·
Registered
108 Posts
you might also want to check your bas gaskets also. although if they were leaking you would most likely see the coolant seeping out from under the cylinder. if it were me I would replace the head gaskets and base gaskets for good measure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well i just got a gasket kit.. So im just going to replace them all. Thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If its the head gasket make sure you get ALL the antifreeze out before tightening it all back up. We didn't on our indy and melted the piston. I don't know if that was the cause but that's what the mechanic said.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts