Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 97 zrt 600 is going through a lot of antifreeze. I have to refill the resevior every 150 or so miles. It runs fine, no overheat indications, It doesn't appear to be leaking (no signs on the ground or in my belly pan), Anyone have experience with this or an idea on possible answers??

·
Registered
414 Posts
If no visible leak, i would say head gasket. same happend to me on my wildcat after a while i had a piston failure. when i took the engine apart the bearings on the same cyl was worn down. the shop where i buy parts said it was because the anti-freeze washed out the oil,the piston was scored

·
Registered
699 Posts
head gasket if you catch it early then just replace the head gasket but if your to late you will have to replace a lot more...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In talking to other people, they recommend I don't take the heads off myself because they have to be put back on to spec. what does that mean? Is that something I (moderate skills) should handle?

·
Registered
172 Posts
All you need is a torque wrench so you get the bolts tightened to the correct specs... usually you work from the center bolts outward. Snug the center bolts and work outward, just snugging them up. Then begin again with a little pressure on them, and then again. About the 4th pass over all the bolts, you should be getting up to specs for how many foot pounds (or inch pounds) it calls for.
Don't be intimidated by it, take your time with it. Be sure to have all the surfaces clean before you begin. It's a good experience.

·
Registered
312 Posts
to tell you the truth , i've taken heads apart MANY time ,, and NEVER had a torque wrench for the LONGEST of times, and NEVER had a problem just tightening them by hand ,,, just wouldn't tight one while leaving the others loose ,, do them all until they get snug, and then tighten them up,,,,,,you'll be fine ,,,,,at least in my 5 years , i've NEVER had a problem ,,

·
Registered
313 Posts
Just rebuilt my whole engine from the crank up(not including the machine work) I didn't have any trouble with any of it. But like the others said a torque wrench and the specs and you'll have no problems... Just take your time and make sure every surface is clean.......

·
Registered
414 Posts
Buy your self a repair manual,and a good torque wrench.follow the manual and you should be able to do it your self. just my opinion

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I haven't taken her apart yet, How do I tell which of the cylinders is the problem one? I'm hoping it is just an o ring and not a cracked head. Should I look for something specific to tell if a ring is leaking?. I got a price for replacing all the uppers and lowers and it was nearly $100.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Funny story about torque wrenches. Finally bought one. I was changing the oil on my bike and figured I'd use it on the plug. It was the only time I ever had a leak.

·
Registered
128 Posts
i have three torque wrenches in my tool box inch.foot and 600 foot lb most of the time you take them out to check your feel. you get to know by feel how this stuff works you can feel a bolt stretch! torque wrenches and compression guages are tools to use as a guide not as a bible. for example a bolt with no oil will give you a false torque reading or compression readings are not so much what they are but how close they are to each other (one guy might have his wife pulling on the cord when he is taking his readings!) next guy 300 lb brother in law pulling it over faster can make an extra 30 lbs on the guage!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Blewby,

I agree with you that with experience wrenching on things all your life like I have and obviously you have you get a feel for things and how they work. But, a lot of people with little experience come to this web site for real solutions on how to do things and it doesn't help for crusty old guys like us to minimize the proper procedures and specifications. I started out following them to get to where I am and they need to find there own way. Since this forum is all online and we don't know the other people that well we have to have some frame of reference when communicating with people and telling someone to torgue something to 20 ft pounds is a bit more specific than telling them to tighten it till the bolt stretches and make all the bolts the same. Sure you buy the manual use a torgue wrench and by the 5th time you tear down an engine you don't even open the manual, but I hope you're still using the torgue wrench. Let's give the engineers some credit. My .02

·
Registered
85 Posts
one thing i noticed no one mentioned about tourque wrenches....it all changes if you have a deepwell socket or an extension on them, so be careful!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts