Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says, has anybody ever hauled good hay(like alfalfa) from up north down south to like Georgia/Alabama/Florida? The reason i'm asking is because i'm thinking about doing it this winter. We are getting ready to either start or finish 4th cutting, its just running together anymore, and we are going to have all our barns full of hay to sell. My brother and I used to talk about hauling a load south every weekend in the winter, but at the time i didn't have my license so he would've had to drive the whole way by himself. But now that i have my truck and license, and free weekends all winter i'm thinking about doing it.

The rig would be a 25ish ft(including the dove) tandem axle gooseneck. We went 7 high and got 250 bales on it this summer. We'd also probably put a platform on the neck to get a few more bales on. The truck would either be my brothers tuned/studded/and hopefully EGR deleted 6.0. Or if i think i can make this work, i'm going to empty my bank account and build my 7.3 up into a tow beast.

I figured that i can get 260 bales of hay for $3 a bale off my grandpa(its his farm), and sell it for somewhere around $8 down south. That means i'd be making about $1300 off the hay. I'd probably have $500 in fuel, and then i'd give my brother $300 for helping. That would leave me with $500.

The way i look at it is if i can get the hay a little cheaper, and sell it for a little more than that, i could make $7-800 a weekend. And i could make 3 trips a month easily. It wouldn't be easy work, but its not like i'm afraid of a little work.

So, do any of you have any experience with this? I'm just trying to do my homework on it and make sure it will work. We talked about doing this a while back when we had all kinds of hay and it was selling for $10-15 down south. Like i said if i decide to do it i'm going to put between $5000 and 6500 in my truck to build it for towing/pulling/racing and i'd be hauling hay to pay it off. Or i might just put some trust into the 6.0 and use it.

So am i making a good decision, or am I crazy? Like i said i already have a truck, trailer, and a good supply of hay. The hardest part would be finding a buyer somewhere close enough to southern Ohio that we could leave on a Friday evening and be back Sunday night. I'm just trying to get some advice on this so i can talk to my brother and family about it, and hopefully start doing something.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Here in NC with no rain hay is expensive, lots of work but if you can find buyers it would be worth it.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I never even thought about going east. [confused]

I know here we had a wet spring and had problems getting the hay in. Then the rain shut off and now its hard to make hay cause its to dry. I never even thought of places east that were dry all year. If i went east it might even be closer than going south.

And like i said i'm not worried about the work. Even if i only made $2-300 a load i'd be happy. I work with hay all summer and don't get paid a whole lot. I enjoy it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
If u can find a buyer (not hard down there) my dad and i haul 2 loads a month with the big rig. Haul 8' bails out of a Case IH LB433, he takes a load then I take a load. Travel to Bartow and Sylvania Ga, I can do some talkin and see if I cant get ya a buyer around them parts. It would be cool to link up and haul down together, its get old and boring quick goin that distance alone lol.

I get $60 a bale for horse quality bermuda grass bales. If Im not mistakin small bales of same quality go around $7 or in the barn for $9

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
800DOO said:
If u can find a buyer (not hard down there) my dad and i haul 2 loads a month with the big rig. Haul 8' bails out of a Case IH LB433, he takes a load then I take a load. Travel to Bartow and Sylvania Ga, I can do some talkin and see if I cant get ya a buyer around them parts. It would be cool to link up and haul down together, its get old and boring quick goin that distance alone lol.

I get $60 a bale for horse quality bermuda grass bales. If Im not mistakin small bales of same quality go around $7 or in the barn for $9
Sounds like a good deal but i would try to find a buyer closer first, its a long way to Georgia. Back when we had horses it use to be $50 for the Big ones and about $8 for the small that was about 5 years ago though. The last year we had them there was a severe drought and the big bales were going for about $150.

·
Registered
250 Posts
ArcticCatZR800 said:
800DOO said:

Sounds like a good deal but i would try to find a buyer closer first, its a long way to Georgia.
True statement lol it aint no trip to the store thats for sure

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
sounds like a pretty good gig. Don't forget to factor in the little things too though because they really add up. (Oil, food, drink, etc.) Seems like it would actually be a relatively simple way to make some cash.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Yeah a 12 hour drive is a long ways, to where i live its about 7 1/2. But i drive 16 hours to snowmobile (if roads are good) so it definitely can be done.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, Georgia wouldn't be to bad. Its about 9 hours from here to Atlanta, just for a reference. Its probably 12-13 hours to the Gerogia/Florida border. And I basically live on I-75 so thats pretty handy.

Our hay would probably be horse quality alfalfa or orchard grass. Not sure if thats worth more or less than the bermuda hay. I haven't really payed much attention when i'm in the barn to see what all we have.

I'm sure it can get boring driving by yourself. If i were to do it it would be my brother and I, and we'd take turns driving so we could drive non-stop. Plus i know there's no way my parents would let me do it alone since i'm only 16.

If we do decide to do it i'll let ya know and see if you can hook me up.

BTW, where at ya located in Ohio? I'm basically right outside of Dayton, which sucks. [Disappointed]

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
To be legal, you need to get a CDL. And since you are 16, you can't even get a CDL. Insurance will be very high, if you can even get it for a hotshotting business. I wouldn't even think about it.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
bigrok said:
To be legal, you need to get a CDL. And since you are 16, you can't even get a CDL. Insurance that will be very high since you are 16. I wouldn't even think about it.
Why would he need a CDL? He wouldn't be driving a big rig, just a Ford F-250 with a gooseneck trailer, as long as the gross weight is under 26,000 pounds, I don't see a problem.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
ArcticCatZR800 said:
bigrok said:
To be legal, you need to get a CDL. And since you are 16, you can't even get a CDL. Insurance that will be very high since you are 16. I wouldn't even think about it.
Why would he need a CDL? He wouldn't be driving a big rig, just a Ford F-250 with a gooseneck trailer, as long as the gross weight is under 26,000 pounds, I don't see a problem.
It's a Commercial Drivers License. For personal use, he wouldn't need a CDL. But since he's doing it for the purpose of making money, it's commercial.

EDIT: I've even heard of some ranchers delivering the bulls they sold at their bull sale going across state line and needing a CDL because it's classified as a business. Some have been getting huge fines. Stupid? Yes. But there's no way around it.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
bigrok said:
ArcticCatZR800 said:
bigrok said:
It's a Commercial Drivers License. For personal use, he wouldn't need a CDL. But since he's doing it for the purpose of making money, it's commercial.
So your saying that if i haul anything and i make money off of it I need a CDL? In that case everyone would need a CDL.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd be in a 3/4 ton, with a total gross of probably 30k with 260 bales, so i'd be overweight anyways so a CDL wouldn't do me any good. [confused] It'd be a big risk either way, i'd just have to go slow and take it easy. Or take back roads or state routes.

We might even knock it down to 220 or 200 bales to get under 26k. My truck weighs roughly 7000, so that gives me 19k lbs before i need CDL's. I think the trailer is 3500-4000lbs. So that means i could haul about 15k lbs of hay legally. I guess 260 would be the max i'd make in a load if i wanted to push it, which we do locally.

Since it'd still be farm to farm would it be considered commercial? We could probably find some way around it.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
OhioPolarisKid said:
I'd be in a 3/4 ton, with a total gross of probably 30k with 260 bales, so i'd be overweight anyways so a CDL wouldn't do me any good. [confused] It'd be a big risk either way, i'd just have to go slow and take it easy. Or take back roads or state routes.

We might even knock it down to 220 or 200 bales to get under 26k. My truck weighs roughly 7000, so that gives me 19k lbs before i need CDL's. I think the trailer is 3500-4000lbs. So that means i could haul about 15k lbs of hay legally. I guess 260 would be the max i'd make in a load if i wanted to push it, which we do locally.

Since it'd still be farm to farm would it be considered commercial? We could probably find some way around it.
Locally you wouldn't need a CDL anyways, as long as you are carrying farm produce:The law exempts these categories from the CDL:
A "Farm Truck" [ + ]
"Farm Truck" means a truck controlled and operated by a farmer for use in the transportation to or from a farm, for a distance of no more than one hundred fifty miles, of products of the farm, supplies for the farm, or other purposes connected with the operation of the farm. The truck must be operated in accordance with Ohio Revised Code, Section 4506.02(B2) and is not used in the operation of a motor transportation company or private motor carrier.
that's directly from Oh DMV's site: http://bmv.ohio.gov/cdl.stm

And since your vehicle would be used for other stuff other than just hauling, it cannot be considered commercial.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
OhioPolarisKid said:

If you are making $1 or $10,000 per load, you need a CDL. Farm to farm included.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
ArcticCatZR800 said:
bigrok said:
ArcticCatZR800 said:
bigrok said:
So your saying that if i haul anything and i make money off of it I need a CDL? In that case everyone would need a CDL.
Any combination.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
bigrok said:
ArcticCatZR800 said:
bigrok said:
ArcticCatZR800 said:
bigrok said:
Any combination.
Not sure what you mean by that.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Its an 11 and a half hr dirve for me to bartow, you only need a cdl when gvw is 25000 plus. You wouldnt need a cdl if u kept it under 25 thou lbs. You would be pushin it to get 200 bale on that trailer and stay legal. Now that i see ur only 16, id say ur tryin to go to big to early. Try to find a buyer within 150 mi to start, obv ur not gonna pull $9 a bale off within that range but ur only 16 it aint like u got a house payment 2 vehicle payments mouths to feed and a naggin wife that likes to spend ur money. If u can make a couple hauls at 4.5 5 bucks a bale month ur makin good money for a 16 yr old doin weekend work.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
ArcticCatZR800 said:
bigrok said:
ArcticCatZR800 said:
bigrok said:
ArcticCatZR800 said:
bigrok said:
Any combination.
Not sure what you mean by that.
A combination is any trailer.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts