Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me out with some ideas on getting my mom into letting me keep AT LEAST one of my dad's sleds at my house for the winter? She won't do it for anything, or at least it looks like it so far. She doesn't like my dad, and she doesn't like snowmobiles...but I do and it's not really fair to me I don't think, or my brother. I never have much to do around here in the winter seeing as this is all I do, and I don't get to go with my dad all that often (probly went out 4 times last year). We want to have two of them here, and even one would be fine, and she can't even really think of a good reason why we can't. She'll just say "We'll talk about it later" and not, or "No." I'm getting mad too, because this year there are a few kids at school who want me to go riding with them, and I won't be able to. She's worried that I'll do something to the sled and my dad will be pissed, but that's all she's got. I haven't done anything dumb to a sled in a good couple of years now...and if I did that be a problem with my dad and I, not her.

So...I guess I'm just wondering...any sugguestions?

I may be young, but I ain't dumb!!! (I might seem like it, but I'm not. Anyways I don't think so.)
The Sled I Ride
2002 MX Z 800 X Yellow/Black

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
You could try to make some kind of deal with her. Like I'll get my grades up or help out more around the house, be more responsible. Mom's love stuff like that, but remember a deals a deal if she goes for it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Because she's not into sledding, maybe she's worried about safety issues. Maybe she doesn't want to be responsible for the sled on her property. Maybe she sees it as something that you do with your dad and that she doesn't want anything to do with it. Not everyone likes snowmobiles; my parents have a good sized farm, but my dad would never allow snowmobiles on it.

I would talk to her, calmly without getting upset or angry, and see if you can find out what her concerns are. She might not be sure herself why she's uncomfortable with it and is stalling for time while she figures it out. Rather than just saying that her reasons aren't relevant, show her how you will ensure that they won't happen, and what your game plan is if they do happen.

Good luck!

Jacqui.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well maybe you need to let her know on adaily bassic that you care about her and love her. Mom and dad both love to hear that, also you need to be as honest apossible to them even if they dont like it. So I think the best thing you can do is just sit down one night and tell here what makes you happy and see what she says. She will support you as long as you dont put your life on the line. Just talk to them. I came for a house that my dad and mom hate each other and it will catch up to them on the holidays when you get older. Im not that old (22) but I can give a shit about what they say to me now cause Im on my own and when they talk shit to each about each other I just pick up and leave. Also thats the good thing about having your own place. So just talk and things should work out for you. Good luck

Justin Jarmus

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you don't have a job already get one and save up ur money and buy ur own, it probably wont be as nice as ur dads but at least ull have one & theres nothin she can do about it, thats what i did

(Just a suggestion)

/snofan/../images/users/95INDYSPORT-NY/top2.gif

POLARIS--THE ONLY WAY OUT

The Snowbelt starts in Camden!
T.C. Riders' scenic and superbly groomed trails are your
GATEWAY to the TUG HILL! www.tcriders.com

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh boy, this is going to be harder than I thought. I'll start from the top. The grades thing and all that -- My grades are high now, I do as much as I can around the house, and she knows I'm responsable. Finding out the reasons -- I've asked. She's afraid we'll get stuck or the sled will break down, which she doesn't understand most likely won't. She said today she would let us have a quad, I asked "What if that got stuck or broke down...what would we do then." "I don't know." "How is that different than a sled then?" She doesn't have any good reasons. Letting her know I lover her and kissing ass -- she know's I love her and all that, and she know's that it would make me really happy...but she hasn't budged yet. And then a job -- out of the question until I can drive. I live pretty much in the middle of no where, so I would unavoidably need a ride to work every day. My parents usually don't get home until about 6:00, and until I'm 16 I can only work until 7:00...so it would be a waste to work for an hour for a few days a week as a part time job. And if I wait until after I'm 16 to work later hours, well then by then I could drive. This is going to be a long, VERY hard process...but I want it BAD!

I may be young, but I ain't dumb!!! (I might seem like it, but I'm not. Anyways I don't think so.)
The Sled I Ride

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Why don't you just get your dad to take it to your house and then what would she do? You could convince her to let you get a job and you could drive the sled to work...

Trees don't make the greatest brakes.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Think of something she really loves to do and ask her what if you had the power over her to stop her from doing it "just because" Make them see the other side.... thats what I say PS. how will you gas and oil them with no job=money.

Go get a new sled for your spouse.....It will be a fair trade :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I my dad couldn't just drop them off and leave them here, because...well she would make him (call the cops possibly) get them out of here, then probably file a restraining order on him. She has done it before. Bout having any money or a job for gas and stuff, I think that wouldn't be a huge problem, I just wouldn't ride them like mad. I do have some money from little stuff like helping out my neighbors, relatives every once in a while, and some small chores...so I do have some. Chances are though that my dad would just pay for it. He never lets me pay for anything...even if I leave it there for him...he gives it back plus more the next time I see him. He won't let me pay for anything. I think I might be able to find a job anyways...maybe, because the bus might be able to drop me off there. I just don't want to rely on the bus too much. I hope I can get that though.

The Sled I Ride

·
Registered
412 Posts
I wouldn't recommend having your dad just drop off the sled or buying your own without her approval. What can she do? It's her house; she can have it taken (towed) away, not to mention the loss of trust and respect she would have for you. Worst case scenario, you have to wait until you're on your own to have a sled at your place.

I understand that you want what you want and you want it now; I think we all feel that way sometimes. But we have to remember, there are worse things in life than not getting what we want right away. She's more likely to change her mind if you react in a mature manner to her initial "no" than if you try to pull one over on her.

JMHO

Jacqui (Mom)

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Hey Wannabe,
Well you are certainly in a tight spot. It sounds like your mom has alot of anger towards your dad, and having 1 or 2 of his sleds around that he might have to come and help you fix, will certainly complicate matters. I think that your mom needs a little room to get rid of her demons about your Dad, cut her a little slack...the more you push the less likely she will let it go your way.

Maybe ask her if she could drive you and your brother to your Dads to ride at his place, or ask if the machine(s) could be brought down to your Moms for just for 1 weekend. Baby steps are required here.

Divorce is often worse on the parents because of tremendous guilt over tearing up the family...so try to understand things from your Moms perspective.

Good luck
Kevin

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
tell her that you want to go to your dads every weekend and sled then. She probably won't like that and fold...

[red]GO HARD, OR GO HOME - THEY MAKE NEW ONES EVERY DAY[/size=2][/red]

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't think it's a thing where she just hates him any more. They've been divorced since '97 and she's remarried...she just doesn't like sled. She's been like this last year and this year. I wouldn't ask to go to my dad's to ride, because the only time he could even see me and go riding with me is when he does (or wants to, which as I said isn't too often). She would never drive me there anyways...she's just stubborn like that...she never has and never will. She always makes him drive. When he sold his old truck ('98 GMC) it had over 200,000 miles on it from all the driving he has to do...and he sold it in late 2000 or early 2001. She just doesn't care. He lives down state anyways, and there is not much place to ride. Most of the time the sleds are at his buddies place here in town and he comes and sees us when he gets the sleds anyways. I think my mom just is being stubborn with out any good reasons. I'm thinking that she may let us get at least one here though, because even she is starting to realize that she doesn't have any good reasons, just what if something happens to it. I will most likely know what to do, or I'll call my dad up and he'll tell me what to do. But those are her only reasons so far.

The Sled I Ride

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
keep it somewhere hidden.. like at a friends house and just keep the key, then when you want to ride say your guna hang out with some peeps..

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yea, I've thought about moving in with him, but all in all I don't think it'd be worth it. I'd have to leave everything I know up here, move down to a place I don't like...and I honestly don't think he really wants that. I've thought about/and my dad has...talking to one of our neighbors into leaving a sled there and maybe even like giving him a little somethin to store them so we could ride them. He really wants to leave them here too...I think that's part of why my mom won't...because she thinks he just told us to tell her we want them here.

The Sled I Ride

·
Registered
266 Posts
Wannabe, I'm sorry your situation sucks on this, It's bad enough dealing with your parents divorce bull$hit , but even worse that you can't ride when you want. try sitting your mom down and have her read these posts and look at our profiles. We're people of all ages who care about your situation and are passionate about sledding .Maybe she just can't see how important it is to you, or to the rest of us, but this site may be an eye opener. Good luck, Dave

You can Fly with EFI
Spaceman
Mean Green Racing
Elyria, Ohio

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Print this out and give it to her.

Dear Mrs. Wannabe,

The folks here at TUSF would like to vouch for young Wannabe's character, maturity and level of responsibility. Please give him a chance to have a sled at home this winter. We have talked to your son a lot lately and think he is turning into a fine young man.

PS. If there are any problems feel free to call or e-mail Eric or Pman and they will be glad to help straighten things out.

Sincerely,

The guys and girs of TUSF

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
i dont think the letter from us here at fanatics is the way to go, there may be some responsibilty issues with that. anyways, wannabe i think you already answered your own dilema here. didnt you say that your father keeps the sleds at a buddy's house where you live?? well, talk to yur dad and ask him if he minds if you go over there and take one out to ride with your friends. work something out with him, cause really what can your mom say, NOTHING
as long as your dad says "sure son, feel free to ride them since they are in town" i do not see how your mom would have any say so at all, after all, they are your dads, and they wont be sitting in her yard all winter, maybe once in awhile. but like was mentioned, dont push the issue, moms will make life rough, and i know how you feel, i was to go on a run with my buddies last year, and my wife (fiancee at the time) got mad about it. since then i told her i would go like it or not, she doesnt stand in the way.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts