Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy has a 98 ZR500, just purchased, the sled has 5000miles on it, and it has frame damage (new that when he bought it). The bulk head is cracked and took out the cooler in front of the track, along with the piece that holds the jack shaft and the rear torque stop. He wants to know, has anyone mounted or added an aux cooler somewhere else on the sled as it is too much money to fix, or should I say replace the entire frame, the motor only has 1000miles on it, it still runs strong, and everything else is mint. He took it to a local welding genius and was told the cracks are to far apart to be fixed. Would it have heating issues with only the tunnel rails as coolers? We were thinking of putting a small heater core out of a vehicle (he works in a parts store), in there somewhere but not to sure on placement. any thoughts or ideas would be great. He was told of people doing this to other CATS, so has it been done? Can it be done? What parts are needed?

One more thing my 99ZR700 had different gears in it and the bearing went bad, bottom of chain case, it took out the gears and chain so I put my stock gears and a new stock chain in. It doesn't have the snap it had and I can't remember what I had in there. What can I go for gears, don't need a lot of top end 85-90 max is fine. With the stock gears it could go to the "A" in cat on the speed o , no need to go that fast, With the after market gears it would pull the skis for a hundred yards or so, and would still show 95-100mph on the speed o , and now "wheelies" 10-15ft at best, but crazy top end again. Looking for bottom end, not top end, but want to keep my new chain. The shop that did the work closed up and didn't give back old parts.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just had the torque stop break on a sled last week. I was lucky that I have a buddy thats a expert welder/machinist. He welded the torque stop and filled in with weld the bulkhead piece that had broken off. The piece was gone and he still was able to fix it, so I don't see how the cracks were too big in yours. Buddy did a great job on mine and I don't see it breaking again. Maybe ask another welder about it. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts