Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have a sled dyno? what brand, how do you like it? maybe next year we might be getting one.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
I hope you mean a full blown dyno. Don't get those dynomite's or any of those other small ones. They are not accurate at all.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what are them land and sea dynos like, what would people recomend?

·
Registered
98 Posts
The Dynomite which is by land and sea is an excellent unit, easy to use and contrary to the previous post's opinion very accurate. We tested ours against dynoports and it was within less than 1% of thier numbers on the same motor with the same parameters/

·
Registered
506 Posts
dyno's are pretty critical to raceing 'cause U need to know what kinda gains U're makeing with each modification, like NEED to know, not would be nice.

guess that fits everything, but I use it alot more as a racer than as a rider, or rather WOULD use it alot more as a racer, could I afford one

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry big willy, i thought a dyno would go with racing or shop better if they want it in general they can move it.
dunior: wich one did you like better, easier to learn on. i got spoiled using tractor dynos, you just set the torque bar and run it no setting air temp, air pressure or stuff like that.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Believe me, compared to the eddie current dyno these water brakes are not accurate. They cannot control the engine torque and measure power like the eddie current ones. They are also inconsistant. They can be used to tune an individual engine but shouldn't be used to compare one engine against another.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
The worse part about the Land and Sea Dyno is you need good water presure to do any dyno work on a mod motor. We used one a couple of years ago on a mod 1050 Polaris and the water presure wasn't consistant and the motor wanted to run away. We had to stuff the carbs real fast. The best part about the Land and Sea is you can find horsepower you didn't know you had. Riley

·
Registered
98 Posts
The only parameter that is a variable is the water pressure but as the instructions tell you in order to get an accurate reading you need to use a pressure regulator. Not rocket science here. If all parameters are controlled then the Dynomite is an excellent unit, if your trying to run it off the "barns" well pump and then bring it to a friends house that has city water you will get different readings. You wouldn't test a motor with two different brands of fuel and expect the same results, why would you fault the dyno for operator error. And we dynoed a 1500 CC mod with no issues what so ever. 342 hp. Now to add to this. What do you need a dyno for, I own one just to screw around, its a toy. It's also helpful when rebuilding to make sure you haven't lost anything in the process but again, not nessesary as we haven't blown a liquid in years, we did blow 3 fans last year and it was helpful to find the problem with that and fix it.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Well, I know I line my dyno's up and race them daily. They sure can put on a show.

I'll leave it where it is just cuz I'm too lazy right now to push all the necessary buttons to move it to where it belongs.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Dunior, you tested yours against what of Dynoports? Your dynomite against their dynomite, or yours against their eddy current dyno, or larger waterbrake dyno.
If your going to get a dyno, why not spend a little money on it and get something that will do many different things. A dynomite does not have the capabilities as a good eddy current dyno. Although a good eddy current dyno can cost as much as $50,000

·
Registered
98 Posts
I know the dynomite doesn't have all the features that the bigger dyno's have, but the original question was about using dyno's and that is what I answered. Not all of us can spend 50,000 on a dyno, heck $5000 is enough for a toy. they are helpful in finding out if what you are doing is working. I run stock and the ONLY reason I use my dyno is to check hp on the 3 new sleds we get every year to see which one has the most so I can ride it, since I am the heaviest,LOL other than that it's just a toy. I am currently playing around with my old 600 pro-x I long tracked and trying to get more hp out of that. The dyno port I compared to I am not sure of the model, it's not a dynomite thought that much I know. I will have to call and find out what model it is. Didn't really pay that much attention, was more interested in outcome, and in a hurry that day as usual. What I really want is a chassis dyno!!! but it won't fit in my current garage with all the crap I have, building new 36' x 38' one and then I will have room for more toys, the first will be a chassis or track dyno so I can see what is up with clutching gearing etc.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I was just wondering cause what you said didn't really say what you tested against dynoports. If it was a dynomite against a bigger computerized eddy current or water brake dyno, or a dynomite against dynomite.

I wish I had 50k to put down on a dyno right now.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Sure, the dynomite is alright, just like I stated, if you are not using them numbers to compare against dyno results from other dynos. I am sure they work great to compare number on the same sled after changing things to see the power changes. They are good for fine tuning an engine to get maximum HP but when compared to a large dyno, I would say that thier numbers are incorrect.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Actually I sent a 440 in to be tested to have a bench mark for my Dynomite, it was tested on Dynoports dyno. I then did everything I could to duplicate, temp, fuel, humidity, etc. My numbers were so close to the dynoports numbers I would have to argue the point that the dynomite when used with the data aquisition software, PC interface and automotic load servo setup is VERY accurate.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i would like to find a dyno service just to check hp to rpms. its not the hp number i care about its the rpms i need to tune to is what matters.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts