Snowmobile Fanatics banner

Any other college kids have this problem...

2K views 39 replies 36 participants last post by  RMK-KING 
#1 ·
So winter is here, and I haven't even got to ride...why?? Because I am at college, trying to get an education..and don't have time for anything pretty much BUT study, study study. Its getting pretty old already and its only been a couple weeks into the semester for me. I haven't really gotten on a sled at all this year, unless it was in the garage...or on pure ice. I have actually ridden more quad than sled this year. I was hoping to go out this past weekend up to Virginia/Tower area, but got set back because of homework. And I am not the study, study person. Now this weekend I won't be going anywhere because its freezing ASS cold out, maybe the weather will change. Anyways, I had to rant..and ask does any other college kids in the same boat? Cuz this boat sucks....[:(]!!!

#2 ·
I know what you mean Jackie. College has taken a huge cut in my riding. I have a total of 63 miles on my sled. I had 5x that amount by the end of last year.

If it weren't for my trip to West Yellowstone over X-mas break, I'd have less than 100 miles for the season.

Being 320 miles from home sucks in that aspect...

#3 ·
Well I don't have that problem to that degree but...I do alot of homework throughout the week. My theory...study hard threw the week...ride hard on the weekend. Here is the first trip out last weekend for me. We had a huge ass storm since and well..its unreal up there now. 10ft+ drifts!!! Hopefully get more pictures this weekend.
[attachment=57675]
[attachment=57678]

Attachments

#4 ·
I'm in the same boat, I am away from home at university, thats not my big issue though, my sled is 5 hours north where there is actually snow. I havn't sat on my sled once this year because of school, I pay all this money and work my butt off so finally I broke down and am saying screw it and heading up north for 5 days on thursday. I can't take not riding anymore. Glad to hear that I'm not the only one feeling this way. Where is everyone else going to school?

#5 ·
i have to agree with everyone, getting out is just plain hard being in college, i am in my second semester and its hard juggling college, work, and riding in, plus the snow is so spotty here thats even harder to predict, but ya gotta love it when you finnally do get that weekend off and the trails or powder is just PERFECT!

#6 ·
Ya, I didn't get a whole lot of riding in until this past week. Busy busy. Although I put on more classload last semester, so this semester I only have classes Mon-Weds. So I am not even full time now and have alot more free time before I graduate in the spring. But you are a couple years behind me I think. I loaded on more classes during fall semesters than springs though that is for sure.

#7 ·
I'm a sophomore in college. I keep my sled up here near school at a friend's place and have driven 5 hours one way for the past 3 weekends or so and have about 375 miles on the sled, about 1500+ miles on the Jeep. Weekends aren't for homework [;)] And no, I'm not failing everything. My cumulative is over a 3.0 and I'm on schedule credit wise

#8 ·
I'm pullin 18 credits right now so busy as well. But if your in college and not busy then you're prolly a slacker. I ride to school on my sled everyday and usually put 60miles or so backwoodin it saterdays. I had to quit riding it to town though cuz the trails are just getting hammered. We get 8" every week on adverage and the trails are still showing rock edges here and there. Nobody else has snow so the outa town traffic has been unreal. I hope it starts to die down some and snow more. Off the trail though there is prolly 3ft of snow.

#9 ·
I'm feeling the same pain. I finally got a ride in this last weekend but it was the worst conditions I have ridden in, but non the less I was out riding. I am either at school, studying, work or workin for free doing clinicals. Then when I did have time about a week ago my new mxzx decided to have a little electrical problem that I have yet to figure out. grrrrrr. Okay I feel better now

#10 ·
Go to a college like I did where I could ride to school if wanted too. Get home from school and fire up the X2 and ride until dark, then go drink beers until i was tired. Rarely do homework or study, usually ride or study. NCTC aviation program rules...

#11 ·
Originally posted by ACG
[br]Go to a college like I did where I could ride to school if wanted too. Get home from school and fire up the X2 and ride until dark, then go drink beers until i was tired. Rarely do homework or study, usually ride or study. NCTC aviation program rules...
Some of us aren't so fortunate...[:(]

It sucks being so far from home during the winter. I got a few miles on over christmas break, but the snowfall wasn't there as with the majority of people it seems like.

The last couple winters have been quite depressing. I'm glad I got out of a university and transferred to a Tech school...only 1 year left [:D]

#12 ·
I'm feeling that pain... I'm an hours drive from west, and about 15 mins from realll good "local" spots and with all the class and work i either don't have time to ride or i don't have the cash flow(i own a dodge) Its even worse because i just rebuilt my top end and we're getting snow as i write this... Its Killing me...

#13 ·
Nope, don't have that problem. I did the same thing as ACG does, that is the reason I chose to go to Plymouth. I can day trip the best places to ride in this state and ride in Plymouth when I don't feel like trailering.

this was me this weekend, and I plan on venturing North atleast three more times.
[attachment=58435]

Attachments

#14 ·
No problems here. I actually dont have a g/f anymore because of snowmobiling. Leaves more money and time to hit the trails when I want. My house is in Northern WI about 20 minutes from the UP border, I picked a college only 2.5hrs away. I make the trip home every other weekend to ride if I have the money.

last season I logged in 3000+ miles even with all the bull that college gave me. Not bad for a Northwoods boy who normally logs in 4000+ miles a winter when growing up in the snow belt.

This season I have 500 miles to date, so sad! I had to find a damn trailer to trailer 45 mintues up into the UP to find good snow. 1st time my sled has seen the back of a trailer besides when I bought it.

#17 ·
Yes, I have this problem. I go to a tech school, but also work part time at Best Buy. I work on average 20-25 hours a week. And I usually work weekends. Then my family expects me to be able to get time off whenever I feel like it. 2 weeks notice would be nice! So I maybe get one day off and rarely get two days off consecutively. So I have to go out on the lake for my riding. But total I have 75 miles on this year maybe.

#18 ·
used to have that problem, now im graduated and dont have it anymore :p haha

#19 ·
I definately feel your pain, I live 320 miles from my sled, and right now I can't even justify going home for the weekend to ride with our crappy snow conditions. Its hard, but what I'm going to do if we get good snow is work my butt off during the week so I can go home and do nothing but sled and relax at night on the weekends.

#20 ·
I am glad I have other people to relate to...I am going nuts!!! Another inch or so today, probably about 8-10 inches on the ground right now. Over winter break, there was NO SNOW anywhere near me..if I wanted to drive 5-6 hours. So that was frustrating and pissed me off. I actually spent more time out in the garage in the cold, WORKING on sleds than riding them. How does that work, I don't know? My boyfriend and I actually studded up his quad tires, so we took turns out on the ice..but dude, thats no fun! I am taking a ceramics class right now, and we have to have about 6 hours min. outside classtime. I am doing about 15 or so, during the week. Then on top of that, I work out 2 hours or more a day training for my triathlon in May. I go to Mankato State, which is over 200 miles from home. I am transferring after this semester to St. Cloud State though, thats only 45 minutes, which will be VERY nice. =) But I do plan on going riding in the a about a week or so, all depends on what mother nature brings I guess...fingers are crossed.(along with my toes!) haha.

#21 ·
Ya it sucks. I am 85 credits into my junior year. With work, no time for anything but work school, and homework, lots of homework. Blows ass and I want to quit, but I am too far into it now. I still have 2 1/2 years left until graduation with internship. Yay, thanks for getting me started. And welcome to my life, I havent ridden yet. Skidoo chick I go to SCSU.

#22 ·
im only in high school and still kind of feel the pain. work from 5:30am-8:00am school 8:15am-3:00pm lift weights 3:15-4:45 dinner study from about 5:30pm-7:00pm back to work at 7:15pm-11:00pm have been sneeking on here while at work and have been skipping lifting weights more. got all of 25 miles on my sled this year. woppdy freaking doo

#23 ·
I used to be in the same boat. I did a few years of 18 credit semesters, only riding on Saturdays. It was even worse when I lived in the dorms, as I had to store my sled at a friends house.

But, I'm now in my last semester of my senior year, and the "I really just don't care anymore" mode has start to set in. I have a light credit load with pretty easy classes, so I don't feel so guilty about going for a ride during the day.

It's much better to be loaded down during the beginning/middle of your college career. Yeah, it sucks to take that many classes and have so little time, but you'll be thanking yourself once senior year rolls around. You tend to lose a lot of ambition to take a huge credit load that last year, plus having just the bare minimum amount of classes is always a nice plus [:D]

It'll get better, just gotta make it through the storm.

#24 ·
i am at college and im bored out of my mind. back home there getting pounded with snow. i cant ride at college becouse im in a city and they only have 3 inches. home its 3-4 feet. thats what weekends are for :)

#25 ·
WOW you guys are bumming me out. I want to go to college out west, mainly for more snow. Now you guys are telling me that you dont even have time to go riding... man that sucks!! I have thought more about what I can do around college than actually what the school offers.

Do many of you take your sled to school with you, keep it at a friends house or in a storage facility?
Do the colleges let you take your truck?
What about having to live on campus, do most of them make you???

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.