Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone located in, know somebody in, or been to the Houghton, MI area lately?[?]

We're looking to head to the Keweenaw Peninsula and make a couple of runs to Copper Harbor.

Krupps Resort, in Twin Lakes, said they have "about 2 feet of snow with perfect trails" - but I'm little hesitant to believe them right now with the winter we've seen in the Midwest, but they are nearly booked for January, so there must be something going on up there.

However, I've run those trails a number of times, summer and winter, and 2' JUST MIGHT be enough to cover all those boulders.

Anyone know the conditions up there?

Signed,

"Seriously Itchin' for Snow in Mpls, MN"

·
Registered
8,108 Posts

come up to isabella, see my post "braap" in the general forum :) Dan said there is 20 sledders staying there this weekend.

-Dean

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
i still think the best time to ride in the UP is in the middle of the week. but its hard to get the time off so everyone rides the weekends and destroys most of the trails.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ripperd: Thanks for the update and the link.

Confused: I totally agree, but I would hate to burn 3-4 vacation days, just to find poor-to-mediocre snow conditions.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm about 20 miles outside of houghton - trails are great up here man, havent been to houghton yet but ive been riding around the penninsula, they have been getting groomed for about a week now daily. - brad

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah, Ahmeek, MI, you're just the source I've been looking for! As I said earlier, I've spent many trips running between Houghton and Copper Harbor, I was introduced to them when a buddy was at Michigan Tech.

Mind if I PM you now-and-then looking for information/conditions?

--Jack

·
Registered
60 Posts
Jakyll-Im heading up that way next friday(3rd) through the following wednesday. I also have been trying to tap every resource to find out if there is actually what they say there is. Sometimes places tend to exagerate conditions just to get you there. So far it seams good and with these guys (ct55 & rippard2) telling us its good mind as well giver a shot. Just hope the rest of the snowmobiling population of Minnesota doesn't go too!

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
If they get a little more snow the trails will be decent, they got pounded some this weekend. They are rough, but no bare spots... Forest roads rock, get a map, and explore!!

-Dean

1 - 9 of 9 Posts