Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm president of our local snowmobile club and was wondering what problems / accomplishments other clubs are experiencing?

PROBLEMS:
Land owners shutting down your trail on their land and having to try to
re-rout a way around their property?

Preventing current volunteer burnout and interesting new volunteers to build / open trails every fall and close them in the spring?

Obtaining enough funds to maintain your trails and purchase necessary equipment?

Keeping landowners / non-snowmobilers happy so they don't shut you down?

Any other problems and / or advice.

ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
We just purchased our first "Industrial Grade Groomer."
Untill now we groomed with 2 Skidoo Alpines. The OFSC doesn't recognize these machines as groomers therefore the 199 hours we put in for grooming last year don't account for anything and don't figure into the formula they use to determine what our cost is for the permits we sell. (How much we can keep out of the $140 permit cost.)
We're definitely looking forward to getting out in this new groomer this winter.
Especially driving this 42' unit through the bushes without knocking down all the trees.

BTW- Anyone out there interested in 3 Skidoo Alpines?

Just doing our part to provide the wide, smooth, safe, well marked trails in Ontario that everyone has grown to expect.

Jeff

RIDE SAFE - RIDE SOBER
or
DRIVE LIKE LIGHTNING,
CRASH LIKE THUNDER!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Boy, it must be true then.
The "magic trail building fairies" build the trails everywhere else.
If we could only get them to come to our neck of the woods.

Jeff

RIDE SAFE - RIDE SOBER
or
DRIVE LIKE LIGHTNING,
CRASH LIKE THUNDER!!

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
We will be having a club meeting in a week or two, I can let you know how things around here are.

Ride the Best!

·
Registered
328 Posts
I was wondering if your snowmobile clubs have problems with the groomers breaking down a lot? I just became treasurer of our club and we spent $5000 on repairs last year. We own a 78 bombardier groomer. Any ideas on how to help keep it running would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Congradulations on the new groomer Jeff . I am assuming you got that Bell groomer you were talking about . Well see ya next week

IndySKS

Science Hill Drifters Snowmobile Club
The home of Canada's largest snowmobiling links page !
Now with 1200 links to North American snowmobile sites

IndySKS

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
We have problems with our groomer breaking. It's a piece of junk. It's some sort of bombardier also.

Last year, they groomed the trails twice, and the stupid thing broke about 5 times. Cruising down the trail, see the SMV signs with no lights. Next day, it's gone, go further down the trail, there's the SMV signs again. Damn machine.

Ride the Best!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Absolutely! I'm with Flange.

I appreciate the trails maybe more than some because there are no clubs/trails in my neck of the woods. Those who do ride in my area ride ditches and the lake.

I brought my daughter out to work on the trails last weekend; we had a blast! Clearing brush and stuff. It was good for her to see that this stuff doesn't just happen, and she can use the hours towards her requirement for volunteer hours. In Ontario all high school students have to log 40 volunteer hours over the 4 years in order to graduate. My partner's son completed his requirements in one year last year by working on the trails.

Jacqui.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Wow, thats a great idea! I wish they'd impliment something like that here in the states.

I just joined a club this year and am looking forward to helping out with the trails.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts