Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone else has tried to do an engine swap. I did and it actually worked. I figured Id try it, and everything went extremly smooth except for the fact that it wears tracks out quick. But otherwise it's like it was meant to be. And it's pretty fast

1996 Yamaha vmax 500 chassis
Ski-doo 583 R.A.V.E engine
piped
bored .030 over
ported&polished

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
wears tracks out quick???

When's Winter Coming Back?​

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it wears out tracks quick. Before i put the ski-doo engine in the track was like brand new then after the first season you could see the plastic stuff in the track on the edges and chunks of the track are coming off as well as the lugs. And i rode it about 6 or 7 times last year

piped
bored .030 over
ported&polished

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Either that, or you really beat the $#@! out of your track!
j/k I agree, sounds like studs are in order. Is it possible that your Yamaha track has a low durometer rating and maybe it just tears lugs off easily? Just a thought...

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Time for a good Camoplast track to be put in, they will take it.
Also.... look into those anti-ratchet drive sprockets that you can add on to some sleds to decrease slipage and increase track hook-up.
Here is a link for those (bottom of page 128).
http://www.royaldistributing.com/servlet/MiddleRedirect?page=index1.html

When hell freezes over, we'll ride there too.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
If we have a winter with real snow, you might not have near the wear on your track. Last year was pretty much dirt tracking a sled for quite a bit.

-Dean

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey thanks for the suggestions they are very much appreciated. I look forward to talking with you all.

piped
bored .030 over
ported&polished

1 - 8 of 8 Posts