Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Just wondering if a good summer project,(hey I like to plan ahead) would be to tear down the slide truck and front end rods and arms and paint or powder coat all the rusting steel parts?

Has rust ever cliamed your suspension?

I usually just sand and spray where needed on the front, but never have inside the tunnel.

Thanks.

·
Registered
699 Posts
i had a friend with a el tigre very nice sled and he tor down the rear supsension every two years and sand blasted it and painted it neon green man did that look trick.

·
Registered
637 Posts
A buddy of mine picked up a powder coating dooey ma-bob from east wood.. it works awsome.. The powder seems to be alot more durable then paint.. but the parts need to be perfectly clean, and can't have any ruber bushings or anything, because you need to bake them..

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
theres a place by my house that bakes the paint on.. im think this summer of pulling my trailing arms off and havn them painted yellow.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I tore my rear suspenion apart but didn't have enough time and money to get them powder coated. For now Epoxy paint is doing the trick. You can get some really cool colors with powder coating that would set a sled off very nicely!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Powder coating it trick but not easily available to all of us. I would reccommend sand blasting and properly applying a good epoxy paint like Dupont "Imron". You will be pleased with the results but you have to take the time in preparation. Any rust will come back through.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys,
There is a local industrial company that powder coats their owns stuff black all the time, and they will throw yours on a run really cheap, if you prep it, and only want black.
But is epoxy paint the same as electro-static, I've heard good things about that?
How is the epoxy applied, is it a 2 part mix?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Epoxy paint is very durable, very hard; not easy to scratch or wear away but chips when hit by ice or stones.Acrylic paint is a form of plastic,hard but pliable,does not wear as well but is harder to chip so where your useing the paint matters. The most important thing is in the prep-work. No coating will stop rust by covering it, it all has to be removed and finger prints you leave on (that you can't even see) will cause fisheyes.I operate a snowmobile body and paint shop on the side.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Cat cruiser I have found one paint that will stop rust. I used to paint vehicles and I painted an s-10 that had a rusty bumper. I painted it with this stuff called E.R.F., I put base coat and clear on top. 6 years later their was absolutly no rust coming through the paint. Best of all I did no prep except beating the loose rust off with a hammer. I know it sounds too good to be true and I wouldn't believe it myself, but it worked in this case. The problem is that it isn't sandable, you can't prime before, and you cant put any body filler on top of it. But in a case like this it would work good.

·
Registered
15 Posts
if you take the finish down to bare metal you could use cold-galvinizing spray as a primer(zinc-rich). When i bought my sled 9 years ago the builder stripped the sled down to tunnel and annodized EVERYTHING!! the slide rails,tunnel,bumpers,chaincase,belt cover,etc... they also chromed the front springs,trailing arms,idler covers,rear springs,even the ones you cant see! any ways the point is that these items have lasted 9 minnesota salty winters and look great with very little maint. ps. It was a VERY reputable shop who did this and im sure it wasnt cheap!!i checked on trailing arms 2 years ago,$100 each! hope to have pix on the site soon!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts