Thinking about buying one with about 20 hours on it for $2400
how fast do they go , How much faster are they then a 400 ex

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Originally posted by CATSRULE06
[br]Thinking about buying one with about 20 hours on it for $2400
how fast do they go , How much faster are they then a 400 ex
i used to ride with a few, i hade a 2000 400ex with alot of mods but the raptor was faster in a long run. but the 400 ex would eat it up in the trails with the right set-up and rider.heres the one i hade thinkin on getting another quad for snoless Mn

[attachment=54957]

·
Registered
850 Posts
There fast on the top end they get up to about 85-90 but I no 450s eat them up all day.

·
Registered
636 Posts
thats not a bad deal if you ask me. totally different then a 400ex though. will smoke a 400ex.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Originally posted by 97xlt600
[br]There fast on the top end they get up to about 85-90 but I no 450s eat them up all day.
they wont do 85-90, they probably do 70-75, the fastest they might get up to is 80 and i dont think you will ever see that, my sister's boyfriend has a 450 r and my brother-in-law has a raptor 700 and they do about 75 maybe 80

·
Registered
64 Posts
01's are known to have transmission problems among other things like the one way started bearings and weak axles. the tranny probs were cured in 02' and up. i own a 03 its a great trail bike most of the 450's don't have reverse one of the nicer features of the raptor.

·
Registered
985 Posts
they all have the starter clutch problem. i wouldn't trade my 400ex on a 700 let alone a 660 my brother has a 04 660 he is on his 3rd starter clutch. they seem to last about 100rd starts or so.
he has had oilpump problems, and cam problems. and my 400 will easily beat it till 5th is wound out. it does have more top end though. the reverse is geared like 2nd or 3rd, its a pain to use(course its better than pushing i suppose).

for 2400 i would look for a 00-01 400ex or predator 500.

the 450's are ok, but unless your racing i wouldn't bother. a 400 will handle the trails as good if not better. they don't turn for sh**, and the valves need adjusted very often. not to mention on the honda reccomended overhaul is rering every 15hrs and new piston every 30. not much life in them. not sure on the yamaha but i'd bet its close to the same.

·
Registered
307 Posts
In addition to what drilling said, the raptors have a high center of gravity. My neighbor has one set up for motocross. Suggestions: Dont buy it if its an 01. Neighbors is a 01 and the transmission and motors are gone, get offset rims or extended A-arms/axle for stability, if you do that then you need after market shocks (If your not racing just get some shocks made by works). I rode a stock raptor and almost killed myself on the motocross track because they are unstable when power through the corners. If you are riding conservatively, stock width would probably be alright.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
You should post some pics of your Raptor.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Still waiting for some pics [8D]

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Maybe he can do a google image search and save the picture and post it on here, or maybe he can just go find a picture of a fellow forum members Raptor and say it is his!

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I looked into getting a raptor last summer. Not a bad all around quad but from what I got last summer the low end was to be desired.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Here ya go Motorhead I saved ya the trouble of having to look for someone elses to copy!!! [:D]

[attachment=59280]
Its an 01 but I could upgrade it to any year you'd like!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a 2001 raptor
I will get pictures up to prove to ya since its so important to you.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
I'll be waiting, but I already did the work for you, just copy and paste the pic above, it'll save ya time looking on the internet..

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Originally posted by ultrastud
[br]I'll be waiting, but I already did the work for you, just copy and paste the pic above, it'll save ya time looking on the internet..
give him some credit, he might go to the dealer and snap A pic of one of theres.

Nah thats to much work

1 - 18 of 18 Posts