Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On youtube there are a few guys that have custom built cans on their sleds and some sound really good and some are ok IMO. I was looking into getting an SLP can, but used ones are going for about $125 shipped. I was thinking that I could build my own, have it be lighter than the stock can, and not be too loud. I want something with a good tone thats not wisper quiet like the stock can is.

I was going to get a magnaflow muffler or something similar, and fab everything up and have it fit in like stock. What do you guys think of the idea? I know alot of people will say to leave it alone to keep the trails open longer, but I don't want it loud I just want to be able to hear it over my buddies sleds when we ride in a group. If I'm following them or their behind me I hear their sleds over mine.

Thanks in advance

· Registered
2,738 Posts
$125 shipped is not a bad price. $100 for a used can, regardless of manufacturer, is a reasonable price. So just think the $25 is the cost of shipping.

· Registered
577 Posts
i have built 2 different cans so far, they both sound similar to my MBRP can i have on my 600. Building your own can is cheap and simple. and since the can only produces very minimal backpresure for the sled it realy dont matter wether you buy one or you hand make it. there both the same just one is mass produced. youll first need to either find or make an end for your can to go over the existing end on the pipe, its got to have hoops on it so you can clamp it to the pipe with your exhaust springs. then for the actual can i would do it mabey 4 inches in diameter, the you have to figure out what size the inner pipe needs to be (it should be the same size as the inlet and outlet pipe coming out of your can) and you neep to drill a bunch of quarter inch holes in it (just in the section of pipe that is going in the actual can,, you could also buy perforated core for this from aaen) then you need to fab up 2 caps for both ends, first weld one cap to the inner and outer part of your can on one end, the pack the area between the inner and outer can with exhoust packing, then weld up the other cap of your can. the youl need to weld the pipe connecting your can to the fitting to connet it to your pipe, you may need to do slight bends in it to get it to line up with you hole in your belly pan. the youl need to weld up another pipe coming out of the can to direct the exhaust through the hole in your belly pan.. hope this helps [:)] but if you dont have the sheet metal or a welder or pipe bender, it may be easier just to buy one as the others said..

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No what I was saying is that most aftermarket cans are too loud for my liking. An SLP can would be ok, they are still pretty quiet. But I like fabbing up things so I can say its mine, if it didn't work or I didn't like it I would only be out $50, but at least I tried it you know.

I have heard a few resonator pipes and they are pretty loud, I was going to use a bullet style muffler, light and it has a really deep sound to it. I know I could weigh in below a SLP can, but maybe sound similar.

I guess unless I find a good deal I'll just have to try something and let you guys know.

· Registered
5,007 Posts
Turnin20's,
Where are you finding cans for 125? Do they have a lot of them or did you just find one for your sled? That's a pretty great price.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gutted cans are too raspy for my taste, I was looking for a little deeper tone.

I found one for my 07 dragon for $125 on the forums, but it was kinda beat up. I missed a slp can on ebay that sold for $55 shipped for a very slightly used one. But on the forums they seem to go for about $150+shipping but I found a couple for $100 and some for less some for more, you just have to look around.

I have to make a few measurements and see what I'll be able to use, but the muffler I'm looking at is a 5" round case thats 14" long and is stainless steel. I have some left over mandrel bends from past exhaust projects so all I would have to do is figure out how to attach it to the pipe with the springs and build a small bracket to attach it to the sled like stock. The muffler is a straight through design and I have used them on my cars and they aren't loud at all until you go wide open throttle, then they get noisey.

I think I'm going to try it, and if I don't like it I may have a custom setup for sale, I'm sure someone would be interested in it :)

· Registered
2,124 Posts
Turnin20s said:
Gutted cans are too raspy for my taste, I was looking for a little deeper tone.

I found one for my 07 dragon for $125 on the forums, but it was kinda beat up. I missed a slp can on ebay that sold for $55 shipped for a very slightly used one. But on the forums they seem to go for about $150+shipping but I found a couple for $100 and some for less some for more, you just have to look around.

I have to make a few measurements and see what I'll be able to use, but the muffler I'm looking at is a 5" round case thats 14" long and is stainless steel. I have some left over mandrel bends from past exhaust projects so all I would have to do is figure out how to attach it to the pipe with the springs and build a small bracket to attach it to the sled like stock. The muffler is a straight through design and I have used them on my cars and they aren't loud at all until you go wide open throttle, then they get noisey.

I think I'm going to try it, and if I don't like it I may have a custom setup for sale, I'm sure someone would be interested in it :)
You ever listen to Drew's video after he cut the spirals out of his can? Have him send it to you, or look it up in past threads, not bad

· Registered
511 Posts
I really don't understand the mentality that loud is cool. Don't most people outgrow that as they approach adulthood? I remember when I was 15 I thought loud exhaust noise was cool.

I think it's shocking how many people over the age of 18 still think their loud obnoxious rude inconsiderate exhaust noise is cool. You're either part of the solution or part of the problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.