Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 440 sport that I'm putting a XC700 motor in for drag racing on the local lake on the weekends and was thinking of using meth to avoid using heat exchangers. I also want to use N2O and was wondering if anyone has any experiance or can steer me in the right direction for info. I've searched google and message boards with no luck.
Also, has anyone tried to fit this motor into this chassis?? The mounts are different than my 98 XC. I have a 99 bulkhead I was thinking about grafting on to have the rolled chaincase for stud clearance, but that would be quite a bit of work. Any opinions??

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
as far as putting the motor into that frame. that is pretty easy. just use the 98 xc mounting straps. and then you just need to put the mounts in the bulkhead in the correct spots. tiny bit of fab work. pipes should be easily found.

for cooling, if it is a 600 foot or 1000 foot sled only then you could almost just run the motor full of water. but personally I would run one exchanger on the foot board. none in the tunnel. then you should have good clearance. if you have a temp guage and a cooler on the one running board when you get to the end of the track you put snow on it to cool the motor. it works very well. better than ice bags on the engine.
most races you will have to run a kath oil race gas or vp or klotz. most of them dont allow alcohol or methonal. besides for drag alcohol would be a big pain. to fussy to tune. when it goes it goes big. but to get it dialed in for drags and running good with little to no practice runs. to hard.
for a track you would want a 9811 camoplast. it has a .5 lug hieght. then you run 1.07 chisels for drag and pics for speed.
student driver can hook you up with nos. he is on this board. but that puts you into an open mod class. you would be competing against laydown sleds.

unless you are talking lake racing with your buddies, where you just pic a spot on a lake and line them up, run them, and look for the next group.

for non sanctioned raceing then you would want a full cooling system.

you might also want to check out mountain fit hoods.com you can get a light weight hood for that sled that should shed from stock to the light wieght hood for racing. you could easily get rid of 13 lbs or more. since you wont need a headlight or speedo. you can make yourself some light weight front rods that can shed wieght. a different seat. or basically take out most of the foam in the stock seat. that can loose almost 5-8 lbs. riley has his indy chassis with a 800 xcr triple in it at just over 430lbs. with a twin you should get a little lower. a light wiehgt brake disk will help for drag. aluminum gears will also help.

were are you located?
before you buy elswhere give me a shot. I cant beat everyone on priceing. but I can on customer service and help doing setups.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!!!
I'm in southest Mi. White lake. The lake is packed full of sleds, racing, every weekend. I actually live 2 blocks off the lake and switch to a shaved track with trail studs (so I can make it down the dirt road) on the weekends. It hooks REALLY well. Most people just notice the studs and don't even realize the track is shaved to nothing.
Point is, I have no rules to follow. I just want to go out and put a beating on these other sleds!![:D] Been doing a pretty good job on my trail sled so far!
My goal is to keep it as stock looking as possible while being as light as I can get it. Relatively cheap.
I'm in the process of making chrome moly trailing arms (that will have stock IFS stickers), and aluminum skis (that will be painted black and I'm trying to figure out how to make them look like rusty steel skis to draw eyes away from the trailing arms).
Gutting the seat
Possibly using the oil tank for gas/oil.
Definately using aftermarket hood but painted stock colors/decals, decal for head light.
Looking at ways to lighten up the rear skid.
Lots of other ideas and a 130 cousin to ride the thing when all else fails!! LOL!!
I will give you a call hear soon when this thing gets a little closer.
I thought I read in another post that you do porting?? If so could you PM me a price/turn around time for doing a set of 700 twin cylinders, possibly 2 sets. And would you need the top half of the case??

Thanks for the info!! You will definately be getting my business!!
I will pay more for customer service, as it drives me insane to give someone a wheelbarrow full of money only to be a waste of their time after they have wheeled it to the bank.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts