Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone in the New England have a primary clutch compresor, spider tool, and jam nut socket for a Polaris P-85 clutch, I've priced this out, and the tools alone are close to over 200 dollars and I don't see justifying the cost of the tools I'll probally only use once. Or maby someone has them cheap? Maby someone is going to rebuilding their clutch soon and need some extra help. If anyone could offer this, I could offer an exchange of info. I have a Polaris dealership Service Manual that covers every model Polaris made from 96-98. I live in Connecticut, Thank for what ever anyone has to offer.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've been struggling with this same decision. Bought a clutch puller and took off my clutch on the weekend, but still debating on whether to buy the other tools. I think a better option is to head to the Polaris shop and offer them 20 bucks or a case of beer to take off the spider and then torque it up when you're done. As you said this isn't something you're going to be doing every year. BTW, don't beleive you really need the clutch compressor, you should be able to make due with an extra set of hands, if you're lookin to save some bucks.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Hmmm...

Clutch Puller: $19.95

Jam Nut tool: $32.95

Spider tool: $32.95

Clutch holder: $23.95

Comes to nearly $110 And pretty much all the specialty tools you'll need. My local shop charges around $100 just in labor to service the Primary (if they pull it) plus parts.... So the tools pretty much pay for themselves in one service....Not to mention you can help your buddys out (and hopefully they'll help you out!). You deffinatly don't need the compressor tool.... I've always been able to do it on my own.... and with an extra set of hands it's really easy.

Go to: http://www.hiperf.com/acatalog/Online_Catalog_Clutch_Tools_194.html

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
I didn't need a compresser to get my spring out... I braced it with blocks in a bench press, and it worked great.

I did bring mine to a dealer to loosen and tighten the jam nut and spider.

-Dean

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
I use my knee to compress my clutch when tearing it apart, and home made tools for jam nut and spider. Cost: Rooting through the junk pile and some welding rod.

·
Registered
206 Posts
XLT/Polaris-man,
Any pointers on making your own tools for the jam nut, spider and clutch holder? Thinking of doing the same, have access to welder - any good design/mfg ideas you could share.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Go and check out the pictures of the tools that I mentioned above.... For the Spider tool, make an equilateral triangle with 6" sides, cut of the points so the sides of the triangle are 3.5", Then center your pegs at about 2 1/8" from the center. My pegs protrude from the 3/8' steel plate by an inch and the pegs are 3/8" thick. For the Jam Nut tool it's got a 1 5/8" inside diameter, and the pegs stick out about 1/8" I'm sure it'll be easy if you've got the means to build your own... Just remember that they need to be really beefy to take the torque. Hope that helps ya out

1 - 8 of 8 Posts