Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious, what do most of you guys pull when you need to haul with a snowmobile? I've seen small tobaggons in catalogs. We pull wooden sleds up here.

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
If I ever have to carry anything, i usually struggle forever trying to hold whatever it is and sit on the seat, then it falls off multiple times, then I yell at said object or objects, then get mad and leave them where they are at.

I never have to haul anything important though.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I haul the most important thing of all to me... my kids....40 mph. max.

http://www.digitalportraitstudios.com/sled/toboggan

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
I usually have to pull quite few Arctic cats....haha J/K

·
Registered
331 Posts
here is a link that you can buy toboggans from;
http://www.ntsled.com/ or this;
http://cascadetoboggan.safeshopper.com/1/cat1.htm?447

I have one that used to be a ski-patrol toboggan like this;
/snofan/../images/users/vtsheener/toboggan.jpg
I got it used from the ski patrol near the ski area that I live next to. They upgraded their sleds and toboggans and I managed to take this one off of their hands. Both of my sleds have a hitch on them, just a simple hitch, nothing fancy like a ball and all. The toboggan has two runners under the sled so that I can side-hill without fear of the toboggan running downhill and not tracking with the sled, also, it just follows better that way and with a 'rigid' hitch, you don't have to worry about it ramming into the back of the sled (good reason to never pull anything with a rope, when YOU stop, IT doesn't)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those look great! My sleds are all wooden, except I ordered a sled similar to the one pictured that I use with my family. I decided one day, I carry too many people on my snowmobile. I used to carry 5 people including myself on my Bravo! For long hunting trips, we have wooden sleds made out of 3in x 12in that are approx. 16 feet. We put plastic runners and use rope. Although you'd have to get used to pulling them.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Me to RMK-King [:D]I pull mostly green sleds and yellow sleds . [:p] J/K... well not really. I have towed pretty much our whole riding group at one time or another and that does include all brands. It is so much fun when they look at you from about 100 yards away with their hands in the air and you just know that the beast just gave another cylinder to the Sled Gods. Part of the game I guess.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
When we go ice fishing we haul a metal dogsled. Its specificly designed to be hauled by a snowmobile, not dogs. It has an A frame style hitch, metal skis that hold the plywood decking up off the snow. Metal fold down sides and back. There is also a platform on the back for someone to hold on and ride.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
OK guys Darkstar & RMK-King you guys picking on us cat riders (No offense taken) I broke my drive shaft once and had to be towed out. Sounds like you guys are good to have in the group. Willing to all the towing;)

On the topic I bought a plastic sled at Walmart for like $75 that had a solid hitch mount and worked great for small things. It was only 6' long. but it tracked great behind my 440 panthers.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Since you guys are on a "how to haul things" thread.... How do you, or have you ever, hauled a sled with a blown track? I know they have these thick polyethylene sheets you can roll up and tie down to your rear bumper. They then would slide under the rearend of the sled and i guess you could pull it out. Any other experiences?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I've seen the device you're talking about, and it looks like it would work pretty good.

Last Feb we were up in the county on one of the rail beds. One of the guys in our crew on an F7 didn't see a bridge crossing in time. It was a wide one, but had a large depression in the middle of it. Anyways long story shrort, he ended up shattering some gears and his drive chain in the case. The track was locked. So we ended up lashing some long poles/pieces of trees to the track to act as skids. Then some Einstein got the bright idea to also weave in some evergreen boughs.

I've got a pic with the sled on its side and all this crap lashed to the track. I'll have to dig it out and post it. What a riot. We called it the Christmas tree Cat. [:D] It looked like a freak show, but it did work. We had the guy with the RX-1 haul him back to the last road crossing.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hey Tfin70, wouldn't it have been easier just to remove the drive belt? I mean, that disengages the chain case from the track....that is the way I have hauled out other sleds, by removing the drive belt. That way the track kind 'free-wheels' instead of pulling against the friction of the belt against the sheaves.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Removing the drive belt disengages the engine from the setup, not the chaincase... Remember the drivers in the track are directly connected to the lower gear in your chaincase and that if your chaincase locks up like he stated you will most likely mangle your it if you only remove the belt.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hey Bigwilly, thanks for the correction, I don't know what I was thinking....see, my mind has been off the snow and away from the sled too long, it is getting soft....

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
interesting..

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Originally posted by RMK-KING
[br]interesting..
That's one way of putting it! [:D]

Here's a pic of the rail road bed we were cruising down when he hit the depression in the bridge crossing that threw the Cat in the air:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts