Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can this be done, is this a common swap? i have an 02 srx. the skid and track are from a mountain viper with a 144 track and 2" paddle. thanks

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
anythigns possidle wiht the right amount of knowledge and money and not beign afraid fo work. i say try it.btu thats just me. next year i hoep to swap the rear suspension and put a 700 motor in my v-max

·
Registered
963 Posts
if it is the same chassis go ahead but if not i wouldn't because the holes that they make to put it in have to be in certain spots so you don't hit something like the radiator.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so this is not something that anyone does easily? or has done in the past? i would have guessed that the viper and srx tunnel and chassis are the same. hopefully someone will chime in here. thanks

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yes you can hell I put a 136 A/C bearcat skid on my 1982 yammy ss440 you just have to ckeck the mounting locations for the bolts as you may have to relocate them and if you do make sure to rivet a steel reinforcment plate around the hole also make sure the skid is setting level at the sliders and that the agle of attack isnt too great at the ski's (the new skid might make the sled tilt forward too much)

My old yammy get alots of gawks when it shows up and rips up the mountain and goes where the big sleds go, it originally had a 114 lol but with as lil as the sled ways the track upgrade makes it go anywhere it just need some ski skins now. It was a fun project.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
we were planning on putting a 151 track on my 01 srx but we bailed on that plan but the delaer was gonna put a rx1 or viper mtn skid in it

·
Registered
348 Posts
yep it is just a matter of getting the mounting locations for the bolt holes right so you dont have too much of an angle of attack on the ski's and enough hp to turn it skid is a skid for that matter at least to me but i'm a wrench head so....its how much work ya wanna do

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i guess iwill let you guys know how its goes. so far i was able to bolt skid right under the srx. i have to use the second and 3rd holes back and the rear most point willbe a drop bracket,hich i havent bought yet.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
have fun with your new project its gonna be a long 1 but the results will be worth it

·
Registered
348 Posts
yep on my ss440 the track stuck out like a foot past the bumper lol, didnt put any tunnel ext on it it threw a rooster tail like you wouldnt believe lol you didnt wanna ride behind that is for sure

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have the skid mounted up now.i had to remove the front heat exchanger gaurds to clear the 2" track and there is about a half inch clearance still which is good. the front most mounting hole for the suspension was a bit high using the stock locaton for the original skid so i drilled a new hole which is level with the back hole. doing that droped the front of the skid so it sits level on the ground. before it was raised up i bit anddidnt look right.im working on relocating the steel backing plates on the inside of the tunel to the lowered hole and i need to either make up a new rear drop bracket like the stock mountain viper has or buy one and attch it and its done. mpi sells one but there are out of stock. now what do do wth the clutch to make it compatible with the larger track.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Sounds like you have it under control. I wouldn't worry to much about the clutching if you gear it down some for the 2" track If you gear it down the clutching should not be much of an issue. I am running 2.05:1 in my Tcat. (BTW went from a 136 to a 151 by installing a 03 MC rear skid, so I know what you are going through) I am running 21/43 gears still able to get to 100 but pulls the bigger track better, accerates hard out of the hole.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the only thing ive done or that was done to the sled gearing wise is its got 8 tooth drives down from 9s.

·
Registered
348 Posts
If I did anything to the clutchs it would be to set the sec spring in the next stiffer hole so it shifts a lil slower and thus holds rpm's a lil better. But watch the tach, you dont want it over reving all the time and combined with the drop in gear its a possibility but ya might be ok.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
i think u will want to gear that srx quite a bit lower because srx's don't have very good bottom end. they slower on the start but then get moving it takes time for them to build speed. a viper triple will get off the line quicker than srx so u should gear it or its gonna be a little sluggish i think. take some pics i wanna see what it looks like since i wanted to turn my srx into a mtn sled but it was gonna cost too much $$$

1 - 15 of 15 Posts