Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a 97 jag in an auction. it runs, but there is about 10 degrees of slop between the clutch side and the fan pulley side of the crank, any ideas? it backfires when you let off the gas, i think the timing is getting messed up. please help!!!! thanks, jason

·
Registered
250 Posts
The slop in the clutch should not cause the backfire condition. You may have raw fuel in the exhaust. Does it have a fuel shut off? This should be turned off during trailering. Trailering would cause alot of fuel to be dumped into the engine (exhaust). Which auction did you buy it from??

LD

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i bought it at whitestar snowmobile auction.
the play isn't on the clutch side, its on the stator side, it's between the rod journals and the magneto. you can turn the big magnet about an inch before it starts moving the pistons. it has about i inch of total slop with no feeling of connection to the pistons. the slop isnt the rod bearings tho because you can turn the clutch and it feels like it's totally connected to the pistons and there is no slop on that side. i'm pretty sure i have to have a broken crank between the rod journals and the magneto somewhere. i'll let you know when i get it apart next week. if you have any further ideas let me know. thanks, jason

·
Registered
266 Posts
Yes you definitely have a broken crank.My 92 440 did the same thing. Sorry about your luck.It just proved once again that actions are the place to unload junk. What did you pay for the sled? not much I hope.Cranks aren't cheap! Stick with this group and we'll help you through it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i paid 900.00. it has 2000 miles and other than the motor, i think it's in perfect condition. anyone know a cheap place to get cranks? also, i cant get the clutch assy off the crank. i put a 3 jaw puller on it with a 1/2 inch impact and it wont come. is there something i'm missing? i got the long bolt out of the center that threads into the crank. i backed it out a few turns then put the center rod of my puller against that to pull against and it just wont come. i cant believe something didnt break because there was a ton of pressure on it. thanks for thr help!!!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Stop trying to pull it like that before you bend or break that clutch!!!You must use an internal puller. Look in any web catalog and you will find one around $20.00 they are brand specific so get the right one or take your engine to a AC dealer and have them pull it. there is no way around this my friend. I get things from planetarcticcat.com in 2 days shipping time
Also I'm glad you got the sled cheap. I think when all is repaired you will still have a value. Look online for a crank at Al's, Dan's Find my Part,2 Canucks,ECT. search Google or Yahoo for the websites. Let me know what you find.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I'll second that/.... Don't use a gear puller!!! You're going to bend and stress the clutch if you do. When you do get a clutch puller be sure to grease the hreads on it and DO NOT use an impact gun or you risk striping the puller or the threads inside of the clutch. It's going to take alot of torque to break the clutch free of the crank so don't be afraid. Other things that help if it's really stuck on there is to use a brass punch (softer metal than the clutch) and as you torque on the clutch puller use the punch to tap the clutch shaft (the part where the crank is going in and where the blet sits) to help break it free. in a worse case scenario you may need to use some heat on the same part you're taping with the brass punch to help break it free.

Good Luck!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts