Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is way out of season, but I was thinking about this today. I have never been to the dunes, so I dont know the answer, but has anyone ever used your snowmobile at the sand dunes anywhere? Obviously you would have to be liquid cooled to even think about it, but I would think a sled would do quite well in sand.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
The sled may go in sand but you are going to run into some major problems.

1. Hyfax's won't last long enough to really enjoy it. Once they wear off you'll be running sand between the track and the aluminum rails...be like taking a grinder after them.

2. You are going to overheat even with a liquid cooled engine as the snow thrown up against the heat exchanger's is what cools them.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
like blackcat said its pretty much not worth ruining your sled. just find some nice trails and there you go.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Explain in more detail a hyfax to me...

Another thing I thought of would be all the sand that would get trapped in every nook and cranny of a snowmobile, unlike quads where they are basically completely open.

I did get a reply on a quad forum about this question saying they saw a Mach Z there and he had aluminum paddes on the track somehow, and the sled did extremely well in the sand before taking a rest to cool off.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Part of the reason I wanted to know this is to decide whether tires or skis would be better on a quad in sand, I think steering would be better with skis, but I cant decide whether there would be too much friction compared to tires.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Originally posted by jonaddis84
[br]Explain in more detail a hyfax to me...
You mean what it is?

It's the plastic on the bottom of your rails. The metal clips on your track run on the rails, the hyfax provides a slicker surface for the track to run on, otherwise it would be steel on aluminum. It's also offers a cheap repair for wear from friction.

Originally posted by jonaddis84
[br]Part of the reason I wanted to know this is to decide whether tires or skis would be better on a quad in sand, I think steering would be better with skis, but I cant decide whether there would be too much friction compared to tires.
Ski's would not be near as good as sand tires, otherwise people would use them.

I'm pretty sure the ski's really wouldn't turn that great on the sand that I have seen on videos at the dunes.

Not to mention the carbides would also wear out quite rapidly. Take a grinder to your carbides, same thing. Sand is quite abrasive as you well know.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the explanation, I dont actually own a sled yet thats why I ask such a question.

If no-one ever tried skis on sand no-one would ever know to use them, there arent a LOT of quads out there with ski-kits on them.

Sand is abrasive, but it isnt stationary, so I dont think the carbides would wear out, not to say they wouldnt wear out, but id guess the plastic ski would be gone before the carbide in sand. I can however seeing a major problem with sand getting into the track system. I can just imagine how well a track would hook up in sand though, thats what makes it so dissapointing its not possible to do it feasably.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
I am sure more then 1 person has tried it.

Maybe the carbides would hold up, I just don't see them lasting more then a few days to a week of riding.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I've rode a sled on the sand and it sucks.The ski's have a lot of drag
And the sled will always over heat unless you can get a front
mount radiator,but even then you have to get the air flowing over it.
Like others have said sand is hard on the plastic peices.
And it can get in the airbox easy,unless you have filters with pre-chargers(like K and N filters)it's a good way to ruin a sled.
My advice is stay with a dirt bike or quad.

·
Registered
25 Posts
A snowmobile will fly in the dunes for a short distance. The same is true for a mud bog. Both are hard on a sled, if not properly modified. I know a sled or two shows up at Sliver lake Park in Michigan from time to time. I just wouldn't want to trail ride the sled when they are done. But then, guys take nice, new pick-up trucks there, also. Not me.

Cooling, bearings, suspension, jetting, and filters will all reqire modification to make something that will live any amount of time in the sand, I would think.

Here is a link I saw posted somewhere. Pretty cool!http://www.sand-x.com/index.php?section=home

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
ya just to let you know carbine is the strongest metal ever! carbine doesnt refer to the ski or anything refers to the little piece under the runners. the littl piece usualy costs around $60 its self and the runners cost about 5-10 bucks. also Hyfax another name for them is runners. Hyfax is just a company that makes them. They are called runners and many ocmpanys make them but im sure most people use Hyfax how they got the name :D I know some history of snowmobiles :D

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
haha sorry for spelling carbide that whole thing^^^ irony the small things i know and i spell them wrong :S

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Originally posted by The_Mad_Warrior
[br]ya just to let you know carbine is the strongest metal ever! carbine doesnt refer to the ski or anything refers to the little piece under the runners. the littl piece usualy costs around $60 its self and the runners cost about 5-10 bucks. also Hyfax another name for them is runners. Hyfax is just a company that makes them. They are called runners and many ocmpanys make them but im sure most people use Hyfax how they got the name :D I know some history of snowmobiles :D
Never heard of "runners", "slides" is a term quite common in parts catalogs.

·
Registered
725 Posts
If I ever had a chance to ride sand dunes, my vehicle of choice would deffinitly be a later Honda 250r 3 wheeler whith a Honda CR 500 motor in it.... Now that would kick azz!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Buy a fourwheeler, I rode the dunes in Oregon for a while and a nice sport quad with paddles is ideal. find yourself a nice used banshee or 400EX/Z.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I bet that the sand will get in between the suspension parts and mess them up. The sand might stick to the grease on the skid and make it a pain to clean off. Also it might get into the idler wheels bearings adn cuase them to wear out.

·
Registered
94 Posts
hi all... i read all of this arguing about the carbide & skis, i guess my only question is, why would you use carbides??? the main reason for carbides is for corner grip on icy and/or hard packed snow...

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
I have seen a vid of 98 RMK 700 riding sand dunes and he was jumping and turning as if he was on snow. Then he raced a fully modded yamaha banshee on nitrous and from 0-80mph the banshee got spanked by the sled. I thought it was cool, if any one remember what sled vidoe that is from,chime in if you know.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I could be wrong but I was under the impression carbides are there for crossing roads or else you'd be replacing skis every week.

I'd like to see that video with the banshee.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts