·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent the weekend riding in Northern Wisconsin and have a race result to post:

2006 Apex RTX factory except with a bender exhaust - no studs
2003 Polaris XC 800 w/rumble pack and ripsaw track
2005 Ski-Doo MXZ 800X

The apex could not beat the 800's out of the hole because it couldn't get a hook up. The MXZ had the best hook up, taking the lead early. Since it was so cold, the polaris 800 was running fast. It slowly passed the ski-doo. After the apex got up to speed, it walked away from both of the 800's. Speedo on the apex was reading 117 mph. Probably more like 104-107. The apex is for real! After the race, we filled up the sleds. The apex went 109 miles in 5.7 gallons of fuel. (19 mpg!) If anyone is looking for a quality snowmobile, the apex is unbelievable. Well worth the investment for any committed snowmobiler. I may be able to get a video to post here later...[attachment=59003]

Attachments

·
Registered
477 Posts
i think its funny how people underestimate these four strokes and people who have never rode one say they are junk or slow, these sleds rock

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my thoughts exactly... Yamaha is leading the way to the next generation in snowmobiling! I was reading up on my manual, and it reccomends that I change the oil filter every 12,000 miles, and check the clearance on the valves every 20,000 miles. WOW!!
Originally posted by bedwet
[br]i think its funny how people underestimate these four strokes and people who have never rode one say they are junk or slow, these sleds rock

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I like the way they look, dont know much about them,seen a few in town, i dont go for yamaha's but i would probly consider one of these sleds.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
I think its kinda funny how you think its so great that a 150 HP sled can beat a 135-140 HP sled!! Next time line it up against a real "muscle" sled and then post the results!!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I also think it's funny that it's being compared to used sleds that I can buy used right now for 5 or 6 thousand dollars less than the Yamaha. I was impressed that I NEVER have to adjust the valves on my two stroke. I don't think I'll need to change the oil either. The 4-stroke may be the future, but when Barack or Hillary become president, all snowmobiles are doomed- not just the two-strokes.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Originally posted by rubi
[br]I also think it's funny that it's being compared to used sleds that I can buy used right now for 5 or 6 thousand dollars less than the Yamaha. I was impressed that I NEVER have to adjust the valves on my two stroke. I don't think I'll need to change the oil either. The 4-stroke may be the future, but when Barack or Hillary become president, all snowmobiles are doomed- not just the two-strokes.
Thats what SOOOOO many people don't realize rubi, they'll just keep sticking their heads in the sand and hopeing that the EPA is gonna be happy when 2-strokes are outlawed!!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by ultrastud
[br]I think its kinda funny how you think its so great that a 150 HP sled can beat a 135-140 HP sled!! Next time line it up against a real "muscle" sled and then post the results!!
I'm confused....

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
They're not what I'd consider "muscle" sleds [:D] My point was that the Apex is a 150 HP sled it SHOULD be able to beat 130-140 HP sleds..

·
Registered
477 Posts
i do see your point, what would you consider a muscle sled? i have a mach z i would run just for ****s and giggles when we get warmer weather

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
THAT's what I consider a "muscle" sled!! Mach's , T-Cats 800 XCR's ect!! LOL BIG IRON if ya know what I mean!! LOL

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright ultrastud, heres one for you then. The Mach Z 1000 (170 hp) vs. Apex 1000 (150 hp) yes, that is a 20 hp difference. Thus, is it pointless to even post this race? Watch for yourself, the apex wins by a sled length as it passes the camera, and then continues on past the mach z. If your a seasoned snowmobiller, you should know that HP isn't everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PXSDaCdl7o

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
I would agree with you that HP is only as good as the drver behind it!! [:D] What langauge were they speakin?? LOL On the beginning of the vid it said it was a RX-1 but at the top it said it was an Apex, it also looks like on the second run back the mach was ahead by a half length..Now I'm really confused [:D] Wait until XCR HYPER TRIPLE races his 800 XCR against his 1000 T-cat, that'll be some BIG IRON!! [:D] I'll have to do some searching on youtube I know there are some turbo'd RX-1's on there that'll blow you hair back (even if your a 2-stroke lover)[:D]

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
if you pause the video just as the sleds are passing by, it is clearly an apex.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
that video goes to show what a turd the 1000 twins are and how far yami has come with a wonderfull trail sled.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I had the chance to ride both an Attack and an Apex last year....and let me tell you they are one of the most impressive machines i have ever ridden.....when you talk about torque and speed your talking about these sleds.....one of the guys in our group raced his 06 800 mxz against the attack ...the mxz jumped it out of the hole but never stood a chance past 45...even in a foot of powder that attack would pull the skis at least 8 inches of the ground...it also carried the skis up a roughly 100 yard hill......edgexrider and bmxican also were there and road them too

·
Registered
666 Posts
i think the real question here is, whats faster, you ultra, or the Apex...

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
With more HP and ALOT less weight I don't think that'd be a real big argument to solve!! [:D]

·
Registered
666 Posts
^^^thats not true buddy, his led; as long as its only piped, is good for 148.9 HP - i have the dyno sheet to prove it - and the apex is good for 149.7 hp basically making it a dead nuts even race. Im going to put my money on the ultra only because of the fact that it weights less and it makes 3 combustion strokes per revolution as opposed to 2. Another thing is that the ultra a smaller block than the Apex, there for it should also rev quicker than the apex.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts