Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 99 Arctic cat Thundercat Mountaincat 1000 triple last yr...i had a shop here in town rebuild the top end..new pistons amd gaskets....they told me to put some oil in the gas and fire it up and run it until it reached operating temp then shut it down...went thru a couple sets of plugs due to the extra oil in the gas.( im assuming) after about 5-6 times..it started popping and backfiring, so i took it back down to the shop to have them check it out..(they also changed the jets as well) they tell me it had a loose ground wire, and they had it fixed and it was sitting there idling nice when it all of a sudden just seized up..WTF.. so he calls me and says he needs to get into the case and asks for permission to check it out..calls me back a few hours later and says the oil pump took a shit and it would be 2100 bucks to fix it...wtf again...it was running fine and pumping oil just fine too..is it a common thing to just stop working and seize the motor...im so pissed but im not sure if i should be pissed at them or what...i dont know that much about the motor so i thought id ask some of the guys here what they thought, what they might do..is it the shops responsibility, am i just screwed..any thoughts and answers would be great..be gentle..lol thanks

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Ummmmm!
If you had pre mixed gas in it, it wouldnt matter if the oil pump was working or not.
The engine would be getting lubed by the fuel.

The reason you run pre mix in the first tank after a rebuild, is so that you know the engine is being lubed until you can verify the oil pump is working properly.

Rick

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I agree with Festus, if you were still running mixed gas you shouldn't have to worry about the oil pump not operating. That is why new sleds are run with premix in them for the first tank to make sure that the oil pumps are lubing the motors.

·
Registered
737 Posts
sounds like they are covering a screw up whats the rep.of this place?if they just rebuilt it a good shop would cut you a break on the repair.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
As said above, the oil premixed into the fuel is to keep the engine from seizing if there's an issue with bubbles in the oil line, as well as seating the rings.

Sounds to me like they forgot to bleed the coolant, and it over heated.

The shop f-ed up your motor and is trying to screw you, they should fix it on their own dime.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
B.T.W. you could probably buy a whole new motor for less than they want to charge you for another rebuild.

Rick

·
Registered
610 Posts
If they don't help you, dont buy pay for the repair! you should be able to find a used engine off of craigslist or ebay cheaper than that. I agree with the rest, sounds like the shop didn't bleed the oil pump because it was working fine before you brought it to them, why would it fail coincidentally after the rebuild? So, in a worst case scenario, don't pay to have them rebuild it, they've proven they don't know what they are doing.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Ran into that same problem with my old dirtbike had a shop rebuild the bottem end and it seized 20 seconds after I started it. Took it back and they rebuilt it for free they found out they had the wrong crank bearings in it. It all depends on the shop but they should fix it!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the quick responses Guy's i appreciate it..ill be contacting them in the am...

·
Registered
355 Posts
Definitely sounds like something they messed up..... Oil in gas=lubrication to motor. The oil pump is not the issue.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Sounds like its there problem, make them fix it!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
As said above, the oil premixed into the fuel is to keep the engine from seizing if there's an issue with bubbles in the oil line, as well as seating the rings.

Sounds to me like they forgot to bleed the coolant, and it over heated.

The shop f-ed up your motor and is trying to screw you, they should fix it on their own dime.
Now that you mention it, when i got it back, i had to put antifreeze in it about 3 times for it to finnaly stay at the full line...i mentioned to the guy that they had returned it and never put antifreeze back in it..did they run my sled without putting antifreeze in it...all he could say was i wouldnt think they did...

after further reviw..lol i also called this guy a few weeks back and told him i was concerned because i was fouling plugs and when i pulled them they were literally dripping with oil...he told me it was due to the motor and jets being adjusted to run in the 0 - 30 degree range..and if i waited to run it when it was cold it would be fine...I am definitely thankful to the comments..it has given me time to put all of it together and get the facts straight..thanks again i appreciate the help

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
i agree with the water thing, cats are known for needing to lift the nose to get them bled.

if the pistons have any black on there sides they are overheated. its basically cooked the oil to the pistons and cylinder.

·
Registered
117 Posts
ive heard this story way to many times and the customer always ends up getting screwed, before i did any thing , since ive heard of this before is get an attorney , mabe it will at least scare them in to fixing it , use it as a bluff at first and if you have to use him, use him, but have him call to see what is going on, i would hate to hear that you couldnt ride this season because they screwed you, and you couldnt afford to fix it on your own. dont mess around get an attorney if you dont have one , and if you do he will probably help you free of charge untill it goes to court , thats how mine is. sorry a.d.d. kicked in.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I have a sled and atv shop up the road and he has a sign in there saying he does not warranty and motors due to ethonal which is a bunch of crap.. not to mention he's but very good anyways he like to Cobb sh*t together and use old gaskets in a motor he just torques it a little more when he puts it back together

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
pigpensthunder said:
I bought a 99 Arctic cat Thundercat Mountaincat 1000 triple last yr...i had a shop here in town rebuild the top end..new pistons amd gaskets....they told me to put some oil in the gas and fire it up and run it until it reached operating temp then shut it down...went thru a couple sets of plugs due to the extra oil in the gas.( im assuming) after about 5-6 times..it started popping and backfiring, so i took it back down to the shop to have them check it out..(they also changed the jets as well) they tell me it had a loose ground wire, and they had it fixed and it was sitting there idling nice when it all of a sudden just seized up..WTF.. so he calls me and says he needs to get into the case and asks for permission to check it out..calls me back a few hours later and says the oil pump took a shit and it would be 2100 bucks to fix it...wtf again...it was running fine and pumping oil just fine too..is it a common thing to just stop working and seize the motor...im so pissed but im not sure if i should be pissed at them or what...i dont know that much about the motor so i thought id ask some of the guys here what they thought, what they might do..is it the shops responsibility, am i just screwed..any thoughts and answers would be great..be gentle..lol thanks
pigpensthunder-can I ask who this was or what shop? I really hope you can get this all worked out. Sounds like they wanted you to keep coming back by finding things wrong and charging you up the @ss.

·
Registered
449 Posts
KRSS144 said:
pigpensthunder said:
pigpensthunder-can I ask who this was or what shop? I really hope you can get this all worked out. Sounds like they wanted you to keep coming back by finding things wrong and charging you up the @ss.
Agreed, let us know the outcome. B/C hearing these stories can really help others out, that might be stupid enough to go back and give these screwballs the $2100 to fix it. That is total crap. I stopped going to shops all together b/c of that, especially with boats and jetskis, they will completely screw you. I was lucky enough to find an ex-watercraft, atv tech that is now an engineer. I give him my stuff at the end of the season, get it back six months later, never had a problem that wasn't caused by my own stupidity. I pay for parts and hook him up with beer and such, as I think he just loves to be in his shop and I don't blame him. He is super honest and really good at what he does, b/c my experience really lacks when wrenching on sleds.

·
Registered
232 Posts
i agree on it maybe overheating and seizing, but then again you said before they had it back you had it filled up on coolant. Sounds like a problem I just recently had on my F7, maybe when they put the pitsons in they put em in facing the wrong way? mine did the same thing, some poping and bogging and finaly it just died and wouldnt restart

Id go pick that sled up if you cant get them to repair it for free or at least close to it, pull the heads off and see what it looks like, that could tell you a lot, or maybe if its apart just go there and look at it

·
Registered
106 Posts
The whole cooling systems work by driving the sled and having snow kick up on the coolant tubes under the sled, ive had my sled over heat by letting it idle when it was 10 deg. out. Thats the problem that let it get too hot and it seized on em. Rookie mistake. I would not pay for this at all. Good luck.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
on artic cat sleds after you fill them with water you have to lift the nose of the sled several feet in the air to bleed the air out of the cylinder around the exhaust port.

that sled should be able to sit and idle for 5-7 minutes before it gets remotely hot.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts