Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This write up was sent to me. Have no idea where its from, but I know this guy has been dragging for awhile now. Have seen him at the dragstrip numerous times over the years.

Power to Weight Ratio---Is it Important????
By now, everyone has heard all of the hype and pomp and circumstance about the new line of sleds that are being released this season. Arctic has the line of Firecats, Ski Doo has the new Revs and both of them have claims attached to them that make you wonder - is this all true or is it almost too good to be true??
Based on the early results, it appears that the manufacturers are really on to something here. One of our sponsored racers, John Ziemetz, is very involved with simply going fast. Whether it is at the local drag strip or the most remote ice drag in Wisconsin, John seems to know where it is at. He has been running some ZR 800's and 900's over the past twelve months with very good results.
His 900's will turn the 1/4 mile in the mid tens and speeds have been above 120 MPH. He took his new F7 out this past weekend to see how that would compare with the 800's and 900's. You must keep in mind, the 800 has about 140 hp, the 900 has 150 hp and the new F7 runs in the 140 hp range itself. So all sleds run in the same horsepower area with the major differences being in the overall weight and width of the sleds themselves.
This past Saturday, the 900 ran a 10.577 @ 118 mph, the F7 ran a 10.399 @122.05 mph. This was done at Great Lakes Dragways into a 15 mph head wind and track temps in the 50 degree range. It is important that all are aware that there have been days the 900 has run faster, but on this particular day, with these conditions, these were the results.
So where does this put us??? I think it is very obvious that the manufacturers are on to something here, especially Arctic Cat. When you combine your current horsepower with the lightweight and narrow aerodynamic body style of the new Firecat sleds, you have no choice----- --you will go faster!!! Now when you combine this level of performance with the nimble, agile mobility of the new line of Firecats, your mind can only wander - and pray for snow!!!

NO FOREST FAIRIES(SKIERs)
BURN GAS SLEDS KICK AZZ!

TRIPLE-THE ONLY CHOICE!!!!!
'00 Indy Triumph
'93 XLT 580
'78 Arctic Cat Jag 3000

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
F=MA

Newton's 2nd law.

Your accelleration is DIRECTLY related to your power to weight ratio.

A drag race is a measure of accelleration. power to weight ratio is the single most important factor, next to traction.

Your top speed is NOT related to your power to weight ratio. Top speed depends solely on your POWER to DRAG (friction) ratio. And friction goes up in a exponential fashion as speed increases linearly.

-Dean

-
let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

http://ripperd2.dhs.org

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by ripperd2:
F=MA

Newton's 2nd law.

Your accelleration is DIRECTLY related to your power to weight ratio.

A drag race is a measure of accelleration. power to weight ratio is the single most important factor, next to traction.

Your top speed is NOT related to your power to weight ratio. Top speed depends solely on your POWER to DRAG (friction) ratio. And friction goes up in a exponential fashion as speed increases linearly.

-Dean

-

[/quote]

It's kinda funny that you should mention Newtons 2nd Law right now. Just learned this in Physics and I wasn't enjoying too much...

Trees don't make the greatest brakes.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
yeah same here... Oh and Ripper I think its F<sub>net</sub>=ma...

[red]GO HARD, OR GO HOME - THEY MAKE NEW ONES EVERY DAY[/size=2][/red]

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by SledHead:
yeah same here... Oh and Ripper I think its F<sub>net</sub>=ma...

[/quote]

Nope. It is F=MA I just checked my notes

I was just doing my homework too...

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
LOL. Newton's laws... I remember that stuff. Physics is really cool, especially when you apply it to something. When we started doing formulas to determine the force of impact a car might have in a crash, it becomes really interesting. Mechanical engineers use physics alot.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
sledhead is right, it is the NET force on an object that causes it to accellerate...

physics is really a pretty cool subject, as hard as it is. We talked about hydraulics in class today, and properties of fluids. The first thing that came to mind is how hydraulic brakes work, with the small piston on the handle, and the large caliper, to cause a large force.

-Dean

-

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I used physics to find the power to weight ratios with AC's F5 and F7's now that they put on a few more pounds. It is still impressive but others are really close now.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
hey Big Willy its also "m" and "a" Mass and acceleration are both lower case. Capitals are completly different things. I just got a lab back and got nailed a couple times for that!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts