Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..officially my b*tch

20101081763478_18890.jpg

Say goodbye to your decade of serenity, you just got dry humped..

I hope Kokusan denki completely redesigned the new ECU's. If they didn't, well.......

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What happened, is that I got my hands on an ECU, and reverse engineered it...

The empty chip socket on the right of the pic, is where the code is stored.

The chip you see centered in the pic, is the CPU.

Now I know the cpu type, I can disassemble the code and figure out the mapping and make my writable replacement chip work.

Getting to that CPU was no easy task, it is very well protected.. It took me probably 15 hours to get to it, but I have, and the ECU now my b*tch. In a couple months, people will be able to map the EFI on them just like tuning carbs.

I hope they rewrote all their code on the newer ECU's, or what I learn from this will allow me to exploit them too.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:

Now I know the cpu type, I can disassemble the code and figure out the mapping and make my writable replacement chip work.

Getting to that CPU was no easy task, it is very well protected.. It took me probably 15 hours to get to it, but I have, and the ECU now my b*tch. In a couple months, people will be able to map the EFI on them just like tuning carbs.

I hope they rewrote all their code on the newer ECU's, or what I learn from this will allow me to exploit them too.
Not to knock all of your work, but wouldn't it just be simpler with this?

http://www.dynojet.com/

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Because making something with your own hands has more pride.

Congrats Dave! Your work always impresses me. I wish I was more of a techy and knew about computers & electrical systems

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
powersledder said:
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:

Remapping itself with a power commander, is nothing new.. Problem is, you still can't do much.

How about if you wanna set the rev limiter to 10k rpm to run some real drag pipes? Uhhh, not with a power commander...

Wanna add sensor control so that if the EGT goes over temp it goes into failsafe mode and saves the motor? Uhhh, not with a power commander...

Need I say more?

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
So what did you do that fried the ECU in the pic?

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
powersledder said:
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:

Remapping itself with a power commander, is nothing new.. Problem is, you still can't do much.

How about if you wanna set the rev limiter to 10k rpm to run some real drag pipes? Uhhh, not with a power commander...

Wanna add sensor control so that if the EGT goes over temp it goes into failsafe mode and saves the motor? Uhhh, not with a power commander...

Need I say more?
I've never actually worked with a PC before so I don't know the limitations it has, which is why I asked.

For the average sledder, stock would suffice
For the above average sledder, a PC would suffice
For the real racer, what you're doing could be a godsend. Being able to show up to a race and say you're ready, instead of "ok, what the temp, how warm is the sled, these jets should work"

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wakeboarderboy said:
^^ I don't get it, how does that relate to the fried one in the picture?
That is not fried..

That is where I used highly volitile chemicals and picks, and dug through an inch of protective material that is meant to keep moisture and people like me out.

I actually got sort of lucky, I had no idea exactly where that cpu was on the board. So I asked myself where I would put it if I had designed it, and started digging.

15 hours later (a couple hours a day for 5 days so the chemicals could work and loosen the materials) I found it.

There was a lot of cursing doing this, they dropped crystals onto the board and covered it with the protective sealant, it was like picking my way through an asphalt driveway, to get to a circuitboard underneath. It cost me a knife and 3 dental picks.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Awesome job Dave. After watching the polaris EFI cant wait to see artic done in. And for those who have not seen the storm run it is impressive as all hell. Then throw in the onsite real time mapping.... WOW! Can't wait to see more.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Nice work! What sled are we installing this into?

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
powersledder said:
I've never actually worked with a PC before so I don't know the limitations it has, which is why I asked.

For the average sledder, stock would suffice
For the above average sledder, a PC would suffice
For the real racer, what you're doing could be a godsend. Being able to show up to a race and say you're ready, instead of "ok, what the temp, how warm is the sled, these jets should work"
Trust me, I have no intention of re-inventing the wheel.. [confused]

Yes, the power commander is a perfect tool for the average sledder. What I'm doing is for the tinkerer, mod-sledder, and drag racers.

Plus, there is no option for tuning the first-gen batteryless sleds from 1997 to 2001 except to buy a pre-programmed chip. This begins there by making them mappable, and will eventually lead to the newer EFI sleds.

Arctic cat, is probably not going to like where this ends up... [thumb]

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
IndyRXL said:
Nice work! What sled are we installing this into?
Well, this is going on my SKS if I can get all the parts together before winter, and I'll be using it to tune for the hill-drags.

That'll be proof of concept. Installing hte EFI on another sled is not the main intent though, the intent is allowing custom remapping of the ECU..

Really, I'd prefer a CAT sled to run it on, but I don't have one so it has to get installed on something else.

I've got the hardware designed that goes inside the ECU to replace the chip, just need to design the hardware for the test-port side now.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had an interesting thought.... I need to find someone with an '03 or '04 EFI Cat that's wiling to let me tinker for a bit.. Might be able to fit this ECU to it with a few adaptors for the cables, and just have at it.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Humph....

45 map tables, 3x the RXL, this is gonna be fun!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts