Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1996 ZRT800 is a bear to start once it gets below 0. I have to pull the plugs and put a splash of gas or starting fluid in the cylinders to get it going.

I was looking through the D&D racing catalog and found this dandy item:

BLOCK HEATER
This handy heater prewarms your liquid-cooled snowmobile engine, and helps prevent cold
engine piston scoring. Helps it pull over and start easier, too.
0638-188 All Liquid-cooled Models (excluding Firecat)..................$35.95

Anyone ever try one of these? It looks like the old hose heaters we used to have on our tractors on the farm. I imagine they work the same way. Only down side I could see might be a reduction in coolant flow? I believe you would mount it right on the top water line?

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Around here everyone uses block heaters in their cars. If not they wouldnt be startable most winter mornings. It should work the same way in sleds. Another thing you can try is when you shut her dwn use the choke to kill her. Itll make her a lot easier to pull over the next morning.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by MonsterJay
[br]Around here everyone uses block heaters in their cars. If not they wouldnt be startable most winter mornings. It should work the same way in sleds. Another thing you can try is when you shut her dwn use the choke to kill her. Itll make her a lot easier to pull over the next morning.
Wow - great advice and free too
thanks, great tip
[8D]

·
Registered
795 Posts
The heater will make it pull easier. It won't cause much decrease in flow as it is probaly just a element. It will need to be mounted below the engine and the warm water will rise moving the water in the block.

·
Registered
100 Posts
We just bought a 2000 Thunder cat 1000 and it came with a block heater and there is a big differance for cold starting on that one compared to our 98 thunder cat without a block heater. It seems to work good.

·
Registered
764 Posts
my neighbor had one in his old zr 580 and wehn it got down to like -30 you could start it and it felt like the sled had been running for an hour already

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm using a light bulb, plugged into an extension cord, run to the outside outlet. Leave it under the hood. Usually makes starting easy. (Mom used this trick on an old car she had ...)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by VeraLenora
[br]I'm using a light bulb, plugged into an extension cord, run to the outside outlet. Leave it under the hood. Usually makes starting easy. (Mom used this trick on an old car she had ...)
nice, another cheap easy idea - even 15 or 20 degrees warmer makes a huge difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts