Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you all think about the A/C's EFI? the only sleds i have had or have are EFI and i love them. They make starting so much easier, hot, cold or whenever and you dont have to worry bout setting the idle and stuff like that. I have never had trouble with the system either. There are plenty of wires under the hood, but untill one of mine breaks down because of the EFI, i will like it.

Think Snow...hell...might as well think lots of snow!

·
Registered
278 Posts
The Cat BEFI is a great system,the older EFI that required a battery was not as good. If Cat would have offered it last year on their 800s I would have it on mine. The one bad thing that I've seen with the older system is you don't want to run it out of or low on gas. A friend has a 95 580 Pantera that he let too low on gas last year. The fuel system became air bound, burnt a plug and I had to go get the trailer to bring it home. After we finaly got the system reprimed and replaced the plug it's fine, but getting it reprimed was a pain in the @ss.

RtkatZL8

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive never had a problem running low on gas, i guess i never thot it would be a big problem gettin it primed cuz its sposed to just pump it for ya...i dunno bout that tho. I had a 93 EXT 550 that i never had a problem with and it had a battery, now i have a 99 Powder Special 600 with batteryless EFI...Still waiting implatiently to ride it though to see how she runs....cant wait till the snow flys

·
Registered
311 Posts
My Cat never let me down as far as getting me home. It was a 96 zrt 580 I might say no it wont run without the battery in good condition.
Two years after I sold it to a friend the only problem has been the carb boots do become dry-rot and allow the mixture to become lean from cracks. Nothing happened luckily it shut down overheated. Since then we replaced all the boots and fuel/oil/antifreeze lines to be on the safe side.

"Meaningless Ride"

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Well I just picked up my new ZR 800 EFI last night and it has ran good so far! Granted it has only been started long enough to get it on the trailer, but good running indeed!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm glad to hear you all have had good luck with the befi.I just got a '02 ZL 600 SS that has it.It has started pretty well the few times I've tried.The second time every time.

zlrider

·
Registered
29 Posts
EFI rules!! When its -10 and my friends are all struggling to start theirs I'm riding already. I have a 2001 ZR600EFI and love it!!

Bring on the white stuff!

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
man...once u get used to that EFI, u cant hardly start a carbed snowmobile, i jumped on my buddies once last year when it was cold and tried and i hardly remember how to start a carbed snowmobile....man we get spoiled w/ EFI

·
Registered
79 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by zlrider:

I'm glad to hear you all have had good luck with the befi.I just got a '02 ZL 600 SS that has it.It has started pretty well the few times I've tried.The second time every time.

zlrider[/quote]Have you ridden the sled in the snow yet? I'm on the fence trying to decide between the SS and the ZR 600 EFI. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
No Jim I haven't ridden it in the snow yet.The few people I've talked to who rode the demos last winter said they were incredible.

zlrider

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply! I'm really leaning toward the SS myself. The ZR's handlebars are the one thing that keeps holding me back. My biggest complaint about most sleds is that the bars are too low and uncomfortable. I can raise the ZL's bars, but I can't reshape them!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Originally posted by Jim85IROC:

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm really leaning toward the SS myself. The ZR's handlebars are the one thing that keeps holding me back. My biggest complaint about most sleds is that the bars are too low and uncomfortable. I can raise the ZL's bars, but I can't reshape them!

Yeah I like the ZR style handlebars myself,but there are a few accessories you can add to the handlebars of the ZL to make them more comfortable.

zlrider

·
Registered
29 Posts
I love my 2001 ZR 600 EFI, I weigh 220 and I like the stiff ride I need it.
The SS is a little softer but the ZR handles the big stuff a lot better.

Bring on the white stuff!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I love the way my "old" 99 ZL goes KAAAAAABOOOOOM at the gas station when I restart it. Other than that I liked it.....oh except the 8-9 mpg and a quart of oil per tank. It would be nice if the factory would set their EFI chip to the correct jetting instead of waaaay too fat so they won't burn down a sled. I even purchased a aftermarket EFI chip to increase performance. Not worth the money!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by zigmontm:

I love my 2001 ZR 600 EFI, I weigh 220 and I like the stiff ride I need it.
The SS is a little softer but the ZR handles the big stuff a lot better.

Bring on the white stuff![/quote]
Did you test ride one of the demos last winter?

zlrider

1 - 15 of 15 Posts